Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DaisyMay29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by DaisyMay29 »

Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to check all these great books out.
AlishaKennedy
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishakennedy.html
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by AlishaKennedy »

A greater thriller trilogy I would recommend is the Level 26 series by Anthony E. Zuiker. I have read the first book and am currently half way through the second book. I plan to read all three books. The series follow multiple characters but the main person these books revolve around is Steve Dark. He is an amazing agent that knows how to get into a criminals mind and that's what makes him so great at what he does. These books follow him as he investigates serial killers and catches them, following his own rules. I recommend this series to anyone that loves thrillers or crime novels! They're relatively quick reads in my opinion and they're definitely page turners.
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich
beccic
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by beccic »

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes is by far the best thriller I have ever read, and I read a LOT! It centres on a super secret, ultra brilliant agent who goes by the name Pilgrim. There are several plots that are interwoven so brilliantly you won't want to put it down. It's a biggish book (600 pages) but I read it in an afternoon and I was truly devastated when I finished!

-- 10 Aug 2015, 14:15 --

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes is by far the best thriller I have ever read, and I read a LOT! It centres on a super secret, ultra brilliant agent who goes by the name Pilgrim. There are several plots that are interwoven so brilliantly you won't want to put it down. It's a biggish book (600 pages) but I read it in an afternoon and I was truly devastated when I finished!
Layla_20_20
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-layla-20-20.html

Post by Layla_20_20 »

Hi All I just wanted to know firstly if anyone has the following book The Child Taker & Slow Burn by Conrad Jones. It is a free kindle book and i was amazed as to how interesting it was to read being so well researched, especially the dialogues which came across as being natural and thoughtfully flowing throughout the book.
The book is all about the abduction of twins by a child abuser who is going to take them out of the UK and sell them somewhere in North Africa through a Moroccan Mafia gang. I won't spoil the end for you but there are so many twists and turn in it- and the end is amazingly surprising. If anyone is looking for a quick read then this book is highly recommended.
SirTyler
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirtyler.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by SirTyler »

I've read all of the Jack Reacher books, by Lee Child, and really enjoyed them. The language is comfortable and transparent, and I like how Jack's thought processes are explained. You don't need to read them in any particular order, really; there are sometimes brief mentions of events from other books, but nothing critical that you know in order to understand the current book. I wish I could find another Mystery/Crime series that is similar.
davidlog

Post by davidlog »

I really love those kind of mind-blowing cases in which nobody knows who the guilty is. I would say I spend almost 2 hours who the guilty is from a murdeat night trying to figure out r scene, since I tend to go further into the case by myself before moving on to the next chapters. For example, the last book I have bought is titled "CSI Diamond Robbery", which is pretty exciting because there are a lot of missed pieces of the puzzle so it leaves you intrigued and eager to find out more, by the way i got the book through ofertondelibros
Iam_fay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-fay.html

Post by Iam_fay »

Daddy's Little Girl is my favorite. I own it and frequently reread it. Some of her books are too creepy for my taste. Love Music Love to Dance (or something to that effect) is an example.
smiley1423
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley1423.html

Post by smiley1423 »

i would love to this book!!!!It looks and sounds like a really good book i like horror and crime books. :D
A_Choyka
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-choyka.html

Post by A_Choyka »

Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline is a book that will have you on your toes all the way to the last page. There were twists and turns that complete blew me a way. From Psycologists to sociopaths to family dynamic. This book was incredible...that and it was based in the best city, Philadelphia :)
ccarter14
Currently Reading: Awakened
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccarter14.html

Post by ccarter14 »

For great Crime books I would recommend Lisa Gardner! I picked up one of her books from a yard sale and absolutely LOVED it! I ended up getting almost every book shes ever written! They are very detailed and well written! You'll love the all of the characters! Great Reads! Some of her titles are: "Love You More", "Touch and Go", "The Perfect Husband", and many more. Check her out! :D
Blueobscurity

Post by Blueobscurity »

Angela Marsons. I first read her book "Silent Scream" because I was attracted by a review that named her "the Tess Gerritsen of the UK" (or something along those lines). I got hooked and read all the other available stories by her on Kindle. The twists are unexpected, and the depth of darkness in the characters is so real it makes you wonder how and from where this inspiration is obtained.
I am not sure if her books are in print but they are available on Kindle.
jleach1973
Currently Reading: A Dirty Shame
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleach1973.html

Post by jleach1973 »

In the horror genre, I would recommend two authors: Christine Dougherty and Iain Rob Wright. They both have a range of books that will keep your attention as well as have you glancing over your shoulder at every little sound you hear. Their books are easy reads but I will warn you that they are very hard to put down and you may feel some disappointment once you reach the end of the book simply because it is over.
In the crime/mystery genre I would like to recommend Sue Grafton and Liliana Hart. Their main characters are quite entertaining and I found myself giggling out loud from time to time. Their is a good bit of sarcastic humor, which I enjoy. In the series written by these authors, I often was unable to decide on how things would end and who the bad guys turned out to be. These are definitely not predictable books, they will hold your attention to the very end!
Megbeth84
Currently Reading: The Historian
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megbeth84.html

Post by Megbeth84 »

I would recommend Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" which is a book I discovered last year and love in a way that I can barely articulate. The prose is strange and dreamy and at times claustrophobic and always gorgeous. They say Shirley Jackson couldn't write a bad sentence and it is the truth. It is a story of two sisters who have lost their family under very strange circumstances (I won't spoil it) and have found themselves so ostracized in town that they rarely leave home. All of this adds to the atmosphere of confinement and oppression. If you delight in weird fiction and if you like fully drawn and interesting females (still a relative rarity in fiction) then I think you will really enjoy this novel!
Charlotte1900

Post by Charlotte1900 »

I just finished The Farogat Society which is the first of the End of The World series of novels. I thought it was amazing, pretty creepy and gripping. I particularly like the pseudo mystery/fantasy elements of it as well. I get the impression that it's building towards a lot more horror though. Great read. Can't wait for the second book to come out.
ChincredibleHulk
Currently Reading: Stormbird
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by ChincredibleHulk »

I'm not sure if any of these have been mentioned (and I'm damned if I'm going to read through 28 pages to find out, not at this time of night!) but I would recommend any of the following:

Chris Carter's Robert Hunter series
Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli & Isles series
Stuart Macbride's Logan McRae series
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes
The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (aka J. K. Rowling)
Long Way Home by Eva Dolan
Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (I lost count on how many people died in that)
The Shining and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”