Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessreading
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Jessreading »

If you like some of the older horror books Dracula and Frankenstien are a good read, Jaws, Psycho and the Exorcist are great too and also some of Stephen Kings old books.
Goth Abby

Post by Goth Abby »

Great Thriller Author
I m talking about Dean Koontz and his amazing books. Personally I recommend "Odd Thomas". "Face of Fear" and. "Shadowfire".They hold your attention from start to finish.
wolf
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by wolf »

One of the most compelling crime/thriller books I have read is "Presumed Innocent" by Scott Turow. It was first released in 1987. It was also eventually made into a movie. He has authored many books since then. Turow's style of writing is fast paced and the dialogue intriguing, but easy to follow. You get wrapped up in the story from the beginning. I met him while he was still an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Chicago. I was a Deputy U.S. Marshal and our paths crossed during high profile trial cases that he prosecuted. If you haven't read any of his books, give them a whirl - you won't be disappointed.
GrizzlyBear
Currently Reading: The Accidental Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by GrizzlyBear »

vorsta wrote:I never before didn't read Lee Child's books, GONE TOMORROW was first, and in my opinion it interesting book. In a novel that sweeps through one hairpin surprise after another, Lee Child releases a thriller that spreads three decades and gnaws at the heart of America . . . and for Jack Reacher, a man who trusts no one and likes it that way, it’s a mystery with only one answer-the kind that comes when you finally get in person and look at your worst enemy in the eye.
Lee Child is one of my favorites, hands down. I can't get enough of Jack Reacher as a character, either!
GrizzlyBear

Post by GrizzlyBear »

Butter Cream Queen wrote:
vorsta wrote:I never before didn't read Lee Child's books, GONE TOMORROW was first, and in my opinion it interesting book. In a novel that sweeps through one hairpin surprise after another, Lee Child releases a thriller that spreads three decades and gnaws at the heart of America . . . and for Jack Reacher, a man who trusts no one and likes it that way, it’s a mystery with only one answer-the kind that comes when you finally get in person and look at your worst enemy in the eye.
I have read all Reacher books to date and have enjoyed them all. Reacher never becomes a one trick pony for me. I have read a few series and by I get to maybe the 5th book I can predict the entire plot. That has not happened with a Reacher story yet!
I totally agree. Reacher is always surprising the reader!
GrizzlyBear

Post by GrizzlyBear »

Michael Connelly and his Bosch series (which Amazon made into a two-season TV series) is always another one of my favorites. Fresh scenarios will never let you down!
JenTaylor

Post by JenTaylor »

A great trilogy for crime and thriller lovers would be the Bill Hodges Trilogy by Stephen King. Wonderfully written and any fans of his previous works will simply adore these novels.
GemNR18
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 743">White Bones</a>
Currently Reading: Taken for Dead
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemnr18.html

Post by GemNR18 »

I am 70% of the way through White Bones by Graham Masterton the first book of the Katie Maguire series.

I picked this book up in The Works, a cheap little book and hobby store in the UK, just so I could get 3 for £5. I am so glad I did as it is the best CTHM I have ever read!

The story is set in Ireland beginning with the finding of bones belonging to eleven women who were ritualistically murdered over 80 years ago. DSI Katie Maguire is called to inspect and the case is closed up. That is until the bones and flesh of a new victim is found in the same place.

So far, it has been a gripping read and I very much look forward to devouring the rest of the series. Be warned though, it is horrifically gory and despite a strong stomach, mine was twisting whilst reading.
thenuttybookblogger
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2829">Dear Amy</a>
Currently Reading: 15 minutes alone with god for men
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by thenuttybookblogger »

I just finished a crime thriller " Dear Amy: A Novel by Helen Callaghan," that will keep you reader from page one to the end! If you are interested in stories of investigation and murder this is a fast read. I am in the security line of work and love to predict books of murder so I read this in one day. Saving kidnapped people is a great suspense and encourages others to find survival of girls. Do you want to learn about dissociative amnesia? Do you know what it is? I had no idea until I read this book. Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan is a British writer

-- 15 Dec 2016, 14:04 --
GreenBookworm wrote:For me, if it is about horror books, Stephen King is definitely one of my favorite authors. He has a lot of great books in the genre, but if I should say a few books, I would say The Shining and The Talisman. In my eyes they are also the best books of Stephen King and for horror fans, definitely worth to read. Another recommendation and also one of my favorites is Bram Stoker's Dracula. It is a classic, which I never get bored to reread.
:D I am a huge fan of Stephen Kind and I nave read most of his books! Never a dull moment.
cyndibookswagbag
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 3591

Post by cyndibookswagbag »

Some books here i have not read and will be checking out! Thanks! I love Lisa Jackson and Beverley Barton!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

First, I must agree that Dame Agatha Christy would top my list. When I was young, I read all the Sherlock Holmes and all the Christy books. Many books fade from the memory years agreed reading, but I can still remember "And then There Were None", and "Orient "Express".

I would recommend any of Patterson 's series. Although some novels are better then others, I have thoroughly enjoyed following all 4 of his crime series: Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Private and Women's Murder Club, are fun to read. I find the Book Shots less satisfying then the full length novels, but then they require a much smaller investment in my time. Due to the fact that he cranks out his books with a variety of partners, the quality of the books is uneven.

John Sanford's Prey series (Lucas Davenport) and the spin-off Virgil Flowers stories provides very enjoyable diversion.

If you enjoy reading about women mystery solvers, check out Sue Grafton's alphabet murders. Janet Evanovich has the slapstick Stephanie Plum series, as well as 3 other newer series. Rita Mae Brown has the Mrs Murphy series, Sister Jane and the newer Mag Rogers books.

I remember that I enjoyed Richard Block's burglar series and I just started reading Connolly 's Blosch stories.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
franny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franny.html

Post by franny »

I love the Millienium Series,[/i] mostly because of Lisbeth Salander, of course. I found the books to be fast paced and addictive, especially The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I love the strong, atypical female character of Salander, and I thought Blomkvist was more likable than a lot of macho action novel heroes. If you haven't read this book yet (I'm sure most people who are into the genre have) I would definitely recommend it! If you push past the first couple chapters which are a bit slow, I think you will be hooked.
Mandoysmoysoy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandoysmoysoy.html

Post by Mandoysmoysoy »

And Then There Were None Agatha Christie
Jackey_O
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackey-o.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Jackey_O »

My favorite mystery author is Martha Grimes. I love her Richard Jury series. She is how I got started in the mystery genre! It has escalated of course now to James Patterson, Nevada Barr, Agatha Christie...

I just read Behind Closed Door by B.A. Paris and it was SO GOOD!!! I highly recommend it!
[worthim]

Post by [worthim] »

Hi Folks
I did a search on Phil Rickman and Merrily Watkins, but nothing came up. Does that mean that you haven't discovered them yet?

They are an incredible series, about a lady vicar, set in Herefordshire and the English /Welsh Borders, with a supernatural twist - quite scary and exciting.

Best Regards

Maxine

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”