Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eden Sharp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Eden Sharp »

Favourite authors of mine writing cool detectives include Andrew Vachss and Michael Connolly (Burke and Bosch), and in terms of the loner trope, what’s not to love about the characters of Jack Reacher and John Rain created by Lee Child and Barry Eisler. I also like Robert Crais, Dennis Lehane, and vintage or contemporary hardboiled and noir.
smh30
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smh30.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by smh30 »

I think my favourite horror writer would have to be Richard Laymon, always a fun read
akm10c
Currently Reading: Everything Burns
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akm10c.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by akm10c »

I have such a hard time finding a solid horror novel. I've enjoyed some of Richard Matheson' s work but haven't been able to find a newer author who does homage to the older creepy, atmospheric novels of Thomas Tryon, Matheson, or Shirley Jackson.
jameepage
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jameepage.html

Post by jameepage »

My all-time favorite non-fiction crime book is Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. The story of the Manson Family and the Tate-LaBianca murders is well written and never gets old. I have read the book many times over the years and it still scares me! I suggest it to anyone who enjoys reading true crime.
IPG

Post by IPG »

I recently discovered a new author, Steven Griffiths, and read his book "Diary of a Psychopath". It is a great book, it really gets you inside a psychopath mind, which is both intriguing and disturbing... The fact that it is written in first person helps understanding why a psychopath acts how he does. I read it in one go and bought the second one right after finishing it! Both books are great, I highly recommend them.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

ideaman wrote:I just read Lee Child's Persuader. It was okay, kind of dark, but at the end I wondered why I had read it. Didn't leave a good feeling. It was a good read though. Are any of his other books better?
I curious what contributed to that feeling? I think I am going to have to check this one out.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

jameepage wrote:My all-time favorite non-fiction crime book is Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. The story of the Manson Family and the Tate-LaBianca murders is well written and never gets old. I have read the book many times over the years and it still scares me! I suggest it to anyone who enjoys reading true crime.
A new TV show called "Aquarius" is supposed to focus on the investigation of the Manson Family's crimes
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I just finished reading The Doll's House by Tania Carver. It was gruesome and frightening but so well written! The characters feel real and the story stuck with me when I was done reading it. I highly recommend this book. I would put this in the horror/psychological thriller genre.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
JungHaeju
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junghaeju.html

Post by JungHaeju »

speechless wrote:I just read a book called Mean Martin Manning by Scott Stein. It's one of the best, most entertaining books I've read in a while. It's about a man who just wants to be alone, but the government forces him into a "rehabilitation" program because he's living a supposedly unhealthy lifestyle. Manning has to find a way to escape, as he is constantly surrounded by guards. When he does, he's all about revenge.

This book is very comedic, but it's also very thrilling. I recommend it to EVERYONE.
I'll consider it :) Definitely!
Rick Latapan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-latapan.html

Post by Rick Latapan »

Moriarty by Anthony Horovitz is a fantastic read. I know some Holmes buffs shy away from non Conan Doyle material, but this book is worth reading. Almost impossible to go into the plot too much without giving the game away however. Suffice to say, all is not as it seems!
Bhodgedds

Post by Bhodgedds »

Baldacci is great. Just read Memory Man and couldn't put it down. Character has a unique affliction of perfect memory. I feel sorry for him and laugh at his attitude. Can not wait for another in this series
lis501

Post by lis501 »

Hi am new here. Am only happy when I have a good book to read. I was hoping for some inspiration
on here.Thriller.mysterys are my fave at the minute. I've just read only the innocent,not very good if am honest. So am hopping to find my next great read on here. Thanks lisa
KStPierre

Post by KStPierre »

I just finished reading my first James Patterson book, ( I hear the "omg"s going) "Mistress". I loved it. I'm usually not a reader of books that involve American politics, but this book was awesome. The character of Ben=brilliant. Throughout the book, it kept the reader guessing of "what's next?", and trying to figure out how all the chaos comes together to make sense...and in the end...TA-DAH it's all complete in it's neat little package with many, many "LOL" moments. Highly recommend it.
mrhinehart0022
Currently Reading: Blood Infernal

Post by mrhinehart0022 »

Tami Hoag is an amazing mystery writer. I've read most of her books and enjoyed them all. She has many series. But the one I reccomend starts with ashes to ashes. It starts out with a murder in the middle of the miniapollis park. The detectives that get the case thinks is just like any other that they get until they find out that there's weird things about this murder. Like the woman has been dismembered and she was set on fire using expensive vodka. I don't want to get into too much of the story but the fbi does get involved and its a fascinating story. There's even a little love intbetween all of the murder and chaos.
Btkgarrity
Currently Reading: The Sky is Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btkgarrity.html

Post by Btkgarrity »

The book Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes is a book that I couldn't put down. :) It had a twist at the end and it was a really good book. It was enchanting straight from the beginning.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”