Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayell
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayell.html

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Rayell »

I recently read T.R. Ragan's Abducted. I was a bit apprehensive since it was offered as a free amazon kindle book. I typically find those books to be hits or misses. To my enjoyment, Ragan's book kept me enthralled throughout the entire story; I couldn't put the book down. It was filled with suspense and twists that made the ending a surprise. The story kept me on my toes, and I was beyond glad to find out that the main character's story continues in other books. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys thrillers involving serial killers and strong female roles.
A_oneal

Post by A_oneal »

The Accident by Chris Pavone is a well-written suspense novel and captivating page turner. Interweaving stories of individuals who have come in contact with an anonymous manuscript revealing a deep, dark secret from a well-known media mogul's past, the book pulls you through the chases, fears, and controlling actions of those trying to cover up the existence of the manuscript and those trying to expose it. Packed with twists and intrigue, it's a must for anyone who enjoys mystery reads.
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

I have just finished reading one of the books in the " Ming Tea Murder Mysteries". There are 15 books in the series by Lee Childs.
The series is set in Charleston and the sleuth is a lady who owns a tea shop.
Interesting read and has made me want to read more books in the series.

-- 27 Jul 2016, 00:59 --

Thank you Letitiy about the new "Sue Grafton" book.
I have read most of her other books and enjoyed the characters in them; i usually unable to work out the culprit until she reveals the ending.
Will have to look out for the book "Undertow".
Thank you again

-- 27 Jul 2016, 01:04 --

I hope this is allowed in the forum; looking on the internet and was amazed at the number of themed murder mysteries available by various authors.
A few, include murders revolving around cooking (these include (recipes); christmas murder themes; scrapbooking and cross stitch.
These are to name a few.
Be interested if anyone has read any of these or know of others
Thank you.
weeh84
Currently Reading: Paradise Lost
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weeh84.html
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by weeh84 »

Hi All! I am Whitney, new to the site and the forum, and this is my first post :)

I love fantasy/sci-fi/mystery books, especially if I can get it all in one, lol. Right now I am reading a fairly new book, it is the 1st in the series called The Immortals by Jordanna Max Brodsky. It is a crime solving mystery book with a lot of greek mythology as the basis. The main character being an Olympian Goddess herself (I don't want to give too much away).

I found this book enthralling from the first few paragraphs. The book starts out heavy and full-throttle until the very end. I couldn't put it down. The second book is already out in the series and I have not read it yet. If you like intense, and you have a strong gut, this book series is for you.
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
BrittanyShannon

Post by BrittanyShannon »

Really loved Gone Girl. I know it's way over read by now, but it remains in my top favorites. Wanting to read her other books, namely Sharp Objects before it debuts on HbO
TamSan
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsan.html

Post by TamSan »

Just about anything by Kathy Reichs has been a great read. Most recently finished reading her Spider Bones. It's about a body being found that belongs to Vietnam vet that was already declared dead during the war.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I absolutely loved the Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz, it's about a guy who can see ghosts and helps them get to the other side. I found each book so amazing and far beyond the words it had.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

If you enjoy a light Mystery or ever wanted to know what life behind the scenes at a circus is like, I recommend A Spark of Justice by J.D. Hawkins. I really enjoyed that one. Had some very funny moments as well as some intense ones.
jleecarlson
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleecarlson.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by jleecarlson »

Tana French writes murder mystery and all of her books are great. Steve Berry and Dan Brown are great for historical thrillers. Kathy Reichs has a wonderful archaeology/murder mystery series as long as you're not too grossed out by dead bodies. :) And for true (didn't see that in subforums), Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel is fantastic. He takes you through the investigation after finding evidence linking his own father to being a suspect. It's quite good and well researched.
mar_mendes
Currently Reading: Purity
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-mendes.html
Latest Review: "Quorum" by Sean Buckley

Post by mar_mendes »

Following the latest trend you have to go with Scandinavian authors... Jo Nesbo is really good. Dark, great characters, story well-built and a view on Scandinavian society that makes you think...
Latest Review: "Quorum" by Sean Buckley
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I have been reading Dan Brown's books recently. I just finished angels and demons. absolutely fantastic! I recommend it to all!truly worth it!the book will thrill you itself!
Runridewrite
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runridewrite.html

Post by Runridewrite »

Hey guys new to the site but just wanted to put my twopence in here and recommend I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes and The Cuckoos calling and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (Aka J.K Rowling) in this genre. I particularly enjoyed them for that rare quality of NOT being able to predict what is going to happen right until the end. In the case of I am Pilgrim the book was fantastically cleverly written with everything linked right to the end. Definitely worth a read!
wordsgirl
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by wordsgirl »

Jussi Olsen Adler has written a series about Dept Q in the Copenhagen Police Department. Each book can be a stand alone. I've read them in order and one book gets better than the last. That is, the reader learns more about and cares more about each of the main characters. Dept Q is made up of 4 has-been detectives and police misfits who are to solve cold cases. Of course, it was created by the Chief of Police expecting it and the 4 people involved to fail. Each character is absolutely damaged, smart, feisty. Solving the cold case is as fascinating as the characters. These books are compelling reads for me.
wagthefox
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by wagthefox »

I cannot imagine Joe Lansdale's Hap & Leonard series hasn't been mentioned yet, but that would be the first thing I'd recommend. For something a little off the beaten path, I'd recommend just about anything by Kelli Owen, who does mostly horror fiction, but has delved into thrillers as well.
Aaina89

Post by Aaina89 »

I am into thrillers and mysteries especially ones dealing in historical artifacts or secret societies..can anyone recommend some good books?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”