Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diegosmom34
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Diegosmom34 »

I enjoy Lee child books also. Him, John Sandford, James Patterson and Patricia Cornwell are my favorites. they always manage to keep my interest
ewyna34

Post by ewyna34 »

Diegosmom34 wrote:I enjoy Lee child books also. Him, John Sandford, James Patterson and Patricia Cornwell are my favorites. they always manage to keep my interest
I also like Patricia Cornwell, but don't particularly care for her Kay Scarpetta line - read Body Farm and was grossed out. I like James Patterson. I've not read a John Sandford book yet, but I have a few waiting for me. Looking forward to reading them.
Tazmania1

Post by Tazmania1 »

Great debut mystery novel with unforeseen twists and turns.2 brothers 2 completely different lives. A hidden lap top and this mystery blends a thriller with the advances of artificial intelligence. I could not put this down as I loved all the characters and was intrigued to learn what our future holds for us all as we cross new technological frontiers. The sequel is due this summer Death Logs In. I love some James Patterson, Stuart Woods and Harlan Coben. This story takes place in NYC, queens Paris, and St Tropez.
kirsty187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsty187.html

Post by kirsty187 »

I discovered Sue Grafton a couple years ago whilst browsing a 2nd hand book shop waiting for my mum. I was hooked after reading the first couple chapters in the shop and had to buy it. 2 years later I've just had delivered R is for Ricochet and cannot wait to start reading it. I hope there are more to come after Z.....
Tazmania1

Post by Tazmania1 »

The new Private series by Patterson is great too. I like books that have sequels one gets involved with the characters.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Those looking for a bit offbeat but superb mystery series, I'd highly recommend the "Straw Men" trilogy by Michael Marshall:

1- The Straw Men
2- The Upright Man
3- Blood of Angels

Marshall writes under his full name Michael Marshall Smith for his SF novels (also quite good) and under Michael Marshall for his suspense thrillers.

The Straw Men trilogy is unique in my estimation, quite unlike anything you may have read in the modern thriller genre. Stevie King gave it a big thumbs up, by the way.

The Straw Men is set in modern day America (Marshall, although British, has lived in the US off and on for years). The story is adult (crime violence and language) and is an amazing combination of murder mystery with deepwater conspiracy as background. The narrative is compelling and superbly written, providing a vivid portrait of modern America, its virtues and flaws.

Anyone else know the Straw Men trilogy?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Dinky2347

Post by Dinky2347 »

I am a fan of the Addison Holmes series or the "Whiskey" series as i like to call it. By: Liliana Hart.
funny romantic and some awesome adventures. A fashionista puts her hand in P.I. work. Just imagine what that amounts to.
Love the author, i have read a couple series she has written.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

moderntimes wrote:Those looking for a bit offbeat but superb mystery series, I'd highly recommend the "Straw Men" trilogy by Michael Marshall:

1- The Straw Men
2- The Upright Man
3- Blood of Angels

Marshall writes under his full name Michael Marshall Smith for his SF novels (also quite good) and under Michael Marshall for his suspense thrillers.

The Straw Men trilogy is unique in my estimation, quite unlike anything you may have read in the modern thriller genre. Stevie King gave it a big thumbs up, by the way.

The Straw Men is set in modern day America (Marshall, although British, has lived in the US off and on for years). The story is adult (crime violence and language) and is an amazing combination of murder mystery with deepwater conspiracy as background. The narrative is compelling and superbly written, providing a vivid portrait of modern America, its virtues and flaws.

Anyone else know the Straw Men trilogy?
I have heard of it and it is on my reading list.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
cdohm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdohm.html

Post by cdohm »

The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner is an AMAZING book!! After reading that one, I went back and read ALL of her books.
Scratchy
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: The Angelus Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 152
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Scratchy »

Johnathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, they both will have you reading deep into the night.
nellybae100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellybae100.html

Post by nellybae100 »

Check out james patterson hes one of my favorite crime and suspense authors
ze7707

Post by ze7707 »

Sherlock Holmes has always been a old favorite!
mland2000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mland2000.html

Post by mland2000 »

Harlan Coben, John Connelly, Jonathan Kellerman, Philip Margolin. Robin Cook for medical thrillers
talk2camden
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Nimona</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talk2camden.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by talk2camden »

I absolutely LOVE Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys! Mysteries are the best!
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I think I must try the "Straw Men Trilogy". Sounds like my kind of book.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”