Official Review: Blowing Smoke by George Hiegel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Blowing Smoke by George Hiegel

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blowing Smoke" by George Hiegel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blowing Smoke is a crime story written by George Hiegel.

Told in the first person perspective of the main protagonist, the book is about Neal Caterski, a former police officer turned private detective. The story begins when Neal and his partner Alexandria receive a phone call from Gina Wilson. Gina is the sister of Donna Winters, one of Neal’s former clients and wife of Sonny Winters, one of the richest men in Wannabe, Pennsylvania. In behalf of her sister who is currently on the run from her husband who, she believes, will kill her when he gets the chance, Gina expresses the intention to hire Neal and Alex to gather evidence of Sonny's illegal activities that will put him away for good. With ten thousand dollars upfront payment, Neal and Alex find it difficult to turn the case down. However, even before the investigation began, Donna is found dead from a single bullet to her head. Apparently, Donna killed herself.

Despite the official verdict, Neal continues with his own investigation and finds evidence of a cover up. The effect of Donna’s death on Neal and his obsession to pursue the investigation make Alex question whether Donna is just Neal’s former client or is there something more to the story that Neal is willing to put his life at stake just to solve the case.

The plot, though not very original, is very interesting, and the manner it was written makes the reader glued to the pages. The best part of the book is the author’s remarkable descriptions of scenes. Moreover, the characters are so well depicted that the reader can almost hear them talking and see them walking down the street.

However, though the plot was undoubtedly good, there were no adequate back stories to explicate the circumstances that led to the present predicament. Most of the situations were just the way they were, no elaboration as to why they came to be. There were no detailed explanations for the hostility, for the indifference and even the supposed passion, which I believe to be the reason why there was a case. Though excessive flashbacks can be confusing, one or two may have been helpful in this story. Moreover, none of the characters were likable. They seemed to be all confused and hurt and angry all at the same time. Because of insufficient back stories, the confusion, hurt and anger were not elucidated making it difficult to empathize with the characters.

Finally, there are plenty of errors within the entire book including incorrect use of words (it’s instead of its, their instead of there), missing apostrophe (Winters instead of Winters’) and missing words, among others. Also, the incorrect use of subject and object pronouns (I/me), the prevalent use of fragments instead of complete sentences and the use of sentences that begin with conjunctions ‘and’ and ‘but’ may be vexing to some readers.

Despite my issues with the book, I enjoyed reading it and I do believe that other readers may find it, except for the grammar and typo errors, appealing. I therefore give this book the rate of 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to crime and detective stories enthusiasts.

Blowing Smoke
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I probably won't read this book because to many errors while I'm reading distracts me from the book. However the story soundshort very interesting. Thank you for the review
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Amh73090 wrote:I probably won't read this book because to many errors while I'm reading distracts me from the book. However the story soundshort very interesting. Thank you for the review
Thank you for the comment. It's one enjoyable book, except for the errors :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I am not sure it is for me due to the issues you mentioned. I am glad you enjoyed it though. Thank you for the lovely review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gali wrote:Sounds good! I am not sure it is for me due to the issues you mentioned. I am glad you enjoyed it though. Thank you for the lovely review!
Thank you. I enjoyed the book despite the issues :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, kimmyschemy06! The storyline sounds thrilling, though, I think the amount of errors would bother me after some time. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read despite its flaws! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Great review, kimmyschemy06! The storyline sounds thrilling, though, I think the amount of errors would bother me after some time. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read despite its flaws! :)
Thank you very much. The errors were really distracting but the plot was great :)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

AA1495 wrote:Glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the review!
You're welcome. It's an enjoyable book :)
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

This book seems great but I feel like the errors would be too distracting. However, I'm glad you enjoyed it and you wrote a fantastic review.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kdonegan91 wrote:This book seems great but I feel like the errors would be too distracting. However, I'm glad you enjoyed it and you wrote a fantastic review.
Thank you very much. It was still an enjoyable book despite the errors :)
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Glad that you enjoyed the book. Too bad regarding the errors. Great review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Glad that you enjoyed the book. Too bad regarding the errors. Great review.
Thank you very much. It was an enjoyable book :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”