Official Review: Work & Wagers by Sherrie Sushko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: Work & Wagers by Sherrie Sushko

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kimmyschemy! I also like detective stories although I usually like the cases to be less predictable.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Great review, bookowlie! You did an excellent job of opening up the essence of the book to us.

I don't know if this book is for me though. I am usually a sucker for mysteries, but if there is no real depth to the characters, then a true connection with them is sadly lost. This steals a lot of the joy in reading the book as it doesn't allow the reader to get into the story amidst the action.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

Great review! Interesting point on not being able to connect with any of the characters. It's amazing to me that the second half was such a page turner even without a connection to any characters. It's like a successful scary movie with no music. If an author can do that, I have high hopes for the future installments!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

rssllue wrote:Great review, bookowlie! You did an excellent job of opening up the essence of the book to us.

I don't know if this book is for me though. I am usually a sucker for mysteries, but if there is no real depth to the characters, then a true connection with them is sadly lost. This steals a lot of the joy in reading the book as it doesn't allow the reader to get into the story amidst the action.
Thanks for your kind words. :) I like that line "essence of the book." It makes me think of a book as having its own personality, which books often do! Regarding the characters, I did think there was some potential toward the end of the book for a few of the characters to develop more in future installments. Here's hoping!

-- 23 Aug 2016, 21:09 --
ashnance wrote:Great review! Interesting point on not being able to connect with any of the characters. It's amazing to me that the second half was such a page turner even without a connection to any characters. It's like a successful scary movie with no music. If an author can do that, I have high hopes for the future installments!
Thanks! I was surprised that it was such a page turner in the second half. Like you, I am hoping the characters will be fleshed out more in the next book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”