Official Review: Work & Wagers by Sherrie Sushko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Work & Wagers by Sherrie Sushko

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Work & Wagers" by Sherrie Sushko.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Work and Wagers by Sherrie Sushko is the first installment in the David Wagers Case detective series. It can be categorized in the Crime/Mystery/Thriller genre. David Wagers is a New Jersey private detective investigating the murder of Courtney Tabbin, a paralegal in a health insurance company. A year ago, the young woman failed to show up for a dinner with co-workers and was later found dead in a desolate wooded area. Tracking down leads is hampered by uncooperative co-workers and friends. When Victoria, a California transplant, starts working in the same department where Courtney used to work, David sees an opportunity to gain inside information that could solve the crime.

I enjoyed this detective story. Written in the third person, the book alternates between several characters’ points of view. The switches in perspective are seamless and add depth to the story.

The investigation is interesting and the plot moves along at a rapid pace. However, most of the characters are not well developed. In particular, I found it hard to connect with the main character. It felt like David was a generic detective analyzing clues and questioning people instead of a character I knew well. The rest of the characters are generally one-dimensional, including Pam who is a creepy, manipulative person. However, I did like the undercurrent of attraction between David and Victoria rather than the pair jumping into a steamy romance. Authors often turn a mystery into a detective-and-sidekick love affair which overwhelms the central plot. Happily, this isn’t the case here.

There is much more of an emphasis on sequential actions in the storyline that there is on nuanced descriptions and imagery. As a result, I became interested in what was going to happen next, but I was unable to visualize the characters or the setting. Despite a fairly predictable plot, the book actually became a bit of a page turner in the second half of the book. Although I was easily able to solve the mystery, I still enjoyed the process along the way.

The writing is easy to understand and the plot moves forward at a consistent pace. There is a large crew of characters, but I had no problem keeping track of them. However, the book lacks that special sparkle that excellent mysteries have. If there were more attention given to character development, the suspense element, and a less predictable course, I think the result would have been more satisfying.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The story kept my interest, but the climax isn’t too surprising and there is a lack of tension throughout the book. The book is still a solid choice for mystery fans who want a light beach-style read.

Work & Wagers
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the great review! I'm glad you enjoy the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, bookowlie! The premise sounds very interesting. It's too bad about not being able to picture the characters and setting, and that the storyline is a bit predictable. However, I'm glad that you were able to still enjoy the read! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Hsimone! I struggled a bit with the rating. Despite the issues I mentioned, I decided to go with 3 stars since I found it hard to put the book in the second half. I also took into account that the writing flowed well and the story never dragged.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Gali and Hsimone! I struggled a bit with the rating. Despite the issues I mentioned, I decided to go with 3 stars since I found it hard to put the book in the second half. I also took into account that the writing flowed well and the story never dragged.
Sounds like you rated it very fairly, then! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Thanks Gali and Hsimone! I struggled a bit with the rating. Despite the issues I mentioned, I decided to go with 3 stars since I found it hard to put the book in the second half. I also took into account that the writing flowed well and the story never dragged.
Sounds like you rated it very fairly, then! :)
Sometimes a book is more than the sum of its elements and you just get a gut feeling about it. :)
furybeginner
Currently Reading: Needful Things
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-furybeginner.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by furybeginner »

Ooh, looks like I have another book to add to my 'to read' list. Thanks for the review bookowlie! :D
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Nice review! Seems like an interesting read.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Furybeginner and Debo9967! The book is a nice, quick read and would be a great choice as a tote-along for an outing or waiting room.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great and honest review. I don't enjoy books as much if I cannot connect to at least one central character.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Nikkilynnesix-
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nikkilynnesix- »

I found the reviews to be very informative of what the book has to offer. It makes you understand what the author is trying to connive without giving away all the points in the book to those who not read the book yet. It encourages the potential reader enough interest to encourage them to red the book with excitement in their minds.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

bluemel4 wrote:Great and honest review. I don't enjoy books as much if I cannot connect to at least one central character.
Thanks! Even though the plot was predictable, I would have enjoyed the book more if the main character had been fleshed out. Since this is the first book in a series, maybe readers will learn more about him in future books.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Very well written review! I usually have a hard time if I can't feel a connection with the main character.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Klbradley for your kind words. Hopefully, the author will develop the characters, especially David, more in future installments.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting detective story. Too bad, though, about the characters. As a lover of detective stories in my youth, I prefer Perry Mason type of characters :) Great job on the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”