Official Review: The Cedar Chest by Sue J Elam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: The Cedar Chest by Sue J Elam

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cedar Chest" by Sue J Elam.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cedar Chest by Sue J. Elam is a mixture of nonfiction and fiction in this historical murder mystery memoir.

When Donna's father, Truman, dies in a sudden and unlikely manner, her mother's suspicions are instantly aroused. She longs for justice, but the police seem to do little investigating. Truman's death is not only heartbreaking, but shocking because it thrusts them into poverty. Their lives go from being well off to living with relatives and trying to make ends meet. Meanwhile, Donna's mother has a feeling someone is watching them.

As mentioned before, this book is partially based on a true story. Truman is the author’s grandfather and Donna is her mother. The book is told mainly from Donna's perspective and it is easy to imagine how she grew up living under the shadow of her father's sudden and mysterious death. I like the unique concept and think it works well for this story.

This book takes place in the late 1920's. I enjoy the historical aspect of this book the most. I think it is both fascinating and tragic that women had such a difficult time surviving without a husband to take care of them. It is great to see that there were kindhearted people that helped them and infuriating that there were people (even family members) taking advantage of them. The author did a good job conveying the situation they found themselves in and making you feel for the characters.

The book is classified as a C/T/M/H, but it does not quite fit into that category. It is not a suspenseful book at all. Because it reads much like a memoir, I think it would fit in better among historical fiction. The pacing is on the slow side. I think some parts could have been taken out as they were repetitious. For instance, we are told numerous times about how Donna's mother felt about her husband's death and the events that transpired directly after it. That sort of information only needed to be relayed once because it is easy to imagine how awful she felt.

Unfortunately, the book contains numerous grammatical errors. There are many missing commas, which makes some sentences hard to understand. The tenses also switch back and forth which is confusing at times.

Overall, this book has an interesting storyline and it is very clever how the author weaves together fact and fiction. I really have no clue what is real and what is made up because the whole story is so believable. I want to give this book 3 stars, but because of the grammatical errors, I have to go with 2 out of 4 stars.

The Cedar Chest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I was fascinated when you said that the book is a mixture of non fiction and fiction. When I read the part you said there are lot of grammatical issues, I lost interest. It sounded like it had some potential though.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a good premise. It's too bad it wasn't executed well. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Even in the present days, women losing their husbands do suffer a lot. Such an historical book on the same topic will give more focus to a social malaise that has persisted for so long, and that needs to be resolved. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
DAVE IRVING
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 52">Pretty Little Things</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by DAVE IRVING »

this book is very nice

-- 24 Apr 2017, 15:27 --

but i think it could be more interseted
donna grace caro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by donna grace caro »

I love this book . . Sooo interesting. . 5 star for the author. . !!!??
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

This book sounds intriguing, but as other members have said above grammatical errors and execution made me lose interest. Great review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I agree with you that the story line sounds good. The numerous grammatical errors will make this book a difficult book to read. I will not read this one. Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”