Official Review: A Silver Medallion by James R. Callan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: A Silver Medallion by James R. Callan

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Silver Medallion" by James R. Callan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bravery and the horrors of modern day slavery are the primary themes in James Callan’s A Silver Medallion. This fictional account draws attention to the real problem we have in the United States with people being brought in from Mexico under false pretenses. Callan draws you into a web involving international criminals and the efforts they will make to maintain their power and their wealth.

A Silver Medallion is cast with interesting and realistic characters. Rosa is a slave who has escaped from a wealthy and powerful Dallas executive, Hudson Blackwood. She finds herself out in the country, hiding on Eula’s land, where she is discovered by Eula and her granddaughter, Crystal. Rosa shares her story with Eula and Crystal. She describes how she got to Dallas, as well as the threats of what would happen to her husband, back in Mexico, if she escapes. She also shares that there are two other slaves being held at Blackwood’s home. All of this galvanizes Crystal to save them, but she has no idea what that will really take.

Crystal makes contact with one of the slaves being held at Blackwood’s home, setting off a chain of events spanning two countries. Crystal’s goal is to free Lucita and reunite her with her children, who are being held captive in Mexico. Juan Grande, a Mexican who Crystal is put in touch with, is a mastermind in figuring out the Mexican slaveholders weaknesses. However, is it possible to stand up to one of the most powerful men in Dallas? Blackwood is determined to stop Crystal and will stop at nothing, including killing her. As others become involved, can anyone survive? The villains and the courageous souls in this story span will do anything to thwart each other’s efforts.

Knowing as much as I personally know about modern day slavery, this book really touched my heart in so many ways. Callan is able to demonstrate the seriousness of the situation in his fictional account. However, it would have been better if he would have included some resources for people to follow up with, as people do need to know more about what they can do to help with this very real problem. Especially if they did not realize that is a real modern day problem.

The only other weakness in the book was an odd subplot involving Crystal and a former professor, Dr. Krupe. At one point, Dr. Krupe had used one of Crystal’s papers, without her permission, and wanted to continue to do so again, with her permission. Occasionally, there is a diversion from the main story to this subplot. I never really understood the point of including the subplot.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. A Silver Medallion truly demonstrates the horrors of modern slavery, in a way that makes one want to do whatever they can to stop it. At times, it makes one cry, it makes one nauseous, it makes one smile, and above all, it makes one truly gracious for the brave people in our world.

A Silver Medallion
View: on Bookshelves

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. However, I got confused about 'Lucita' who Cystal is trying to reunite her with her children. I thought it was Rosa she was trying to help.
babyslim1982
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by babyslim1982 »

This was awesome
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! I also get a little frustrated when subplots throw a story off track. Glad you enjoyed the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an interesting book. However, I got confused about 'Lucita' who Cystal is trying to reunite her with her children. I thought it was Rosa she was trying to help.
Lucita and Rosa, as well as another woman, were both held as slaves by the same man, Blackwood. Crystal, as well as a few others, helped all three, in different ways.

-- 14 Aug 2016, 14:15 --
bookowlie wrote:Nice, thorough review! I also get a little frustrated when subplots throw a story off track. Glad you enjoyed the book.

Sometimes the subplots make sense and really add to the story. In this case, it didn't really add to the story but it didn't take away from it either. It was just odd.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

That happens sometimes in a book where there is a subplot that is just "there" and I am not sure why.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Very interesting review. Do you think they had the professor subplot to give Crystal some more depth/a life outside her own quest and it just felt pointless? That's what it reads like to me.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Very interesting review. Do you think they had the professor subplot to give Crystal some more depth/a life outside her own quest and it just felt pointless? That's what it reads like to me.

That is an excellent thought. It could very well be that the author wanted us to see another dimension of her life by sharing some of the challenges Crystal experienced with one of her professors. I don't want to give away spoilers but it seems like that might very well be the case, taking your perspective.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The odd subplot aside, it sounds like a touching book. Modern day slavery is an important subject to tackle. It is good that the account draws attention to it. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review on a book with a strong female heroine and human trafficking. I'm grabbing it NOW! Congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Great review. This sounds like a really interesting read. Human slavery is a huge international issue which takes advantage of so many unfortunate people. I'm glad to see a book broaching these issues
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Congratulations for a thorough review! Rosa was an interesting character, but Crystal intrigues me. I wonder how she will be able to help Rosa and the other slaves held in Dallas.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Chandre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandre.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Chandre »

Looking forward to reading this book. I've got quite the collection already!!! Well done on book of the day
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's rare to find a book that addresses modern day slavery. Usually you'll only find books that depict slavery back in the 1800s. Most people don't realize that there is still slavery in our world even today.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I understand your point about the subplot. I'm glad you liked the book overall though. Thank You for the honest and well written review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”