Official Review: A Silver Medallion by James R. Callan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sundarequal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Official Review: A Silver Medallion by James R. Callan

Post by sundarequal »

The implications of modern day slavery can haunt you or me or anyone else for that matter.
namabunga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by namabunga »

this book is a very interesting book, great review on a book with a very strong female heroine and also human trafficking. It sounds like a very touching book. Human slavery is a huge international issue which is affecting the lives of many unfortunate people out there. I'm really glad to see a book which is talking about these issues for many to lean about them.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

This is a gripping thriller of a story which captivated me from the very beginning. I will surely read this book later on. It will be on my to do list. But the subplot threw me off. I don't know if Crystal will be able to use the doctor to help her or if she castrates him later on.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mickiee wrote:While the writing of this book is awesome, I found the story to be a little too "real". I know these horrible situations are happening all over and they break my heart. Just the little I read really brings the reality home and I prefer to read to escape drama. Having said that, the book is really well written and the story sounds riveting. Good luck with #botd!
I think the story is a little too "real" as you put it because the author used well known tactics of modern day slave holders to depict how things can work for some slaves. It was well done, to say the least.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

Modern day slavery is a real world issue, even though this is a work of fiction, human trafficking is very real. Great review, thank you!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

namabunga wrote:this book is a very interesting book, great review on a book with a very strong female heroine and also human trafficking. It sounds like a very touching book. Human slavery is a huge international issue which is affecting the lives of many unfortunate people out there. I'm really glad to see a book which is talking about these issues for many to lean about them.

I really do hope this story opens up many eyes to the current horrors of slavery.
Festus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-festus.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Festus »

James Callen's A Silver Medallion may have probably berthed its focus on the social issues around South, Central, North America and Europe but with obvious universal appeal and its characters can find equivalents in contemporary social reality, history and other fictional works. For instance, Blackwood shares personality trait with owners of sugar cane and rice plantations in the Caribbean during that dark spot in human civilization, Crystal is likely to find a soul mate in William Wilberforce, the foremost abolitionist and Rosa represents any of the numerous Sub-Sahara African young ladies trafficked across the Mediterranean Sea to Europe for forced labour and sexual slavery. An insightful review
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Festus wrote:James Callen's A Silver Medallion may have probably berthed its focus on the social issues around South, Central, North America and Europe but with obvious universal appeal and its characters can find equivalents in contemporary social reality, history and other fictional works. For instance, Blackwood shares personality trait with owners of sugar cane and rice plantations in the Caribbean during that dark spot in human civilization, Crystal is likely to find a soul mate in William Wilberforce, the foremost abolitionist and Rosa represents any of the numerous Sub-Sahara African young ladies trafficked across the Mediterranean Sea to Europe for forced labour and sexual slavery. An insightful review
Your connections to important figures connected to slavery is spot on! I could easily see Blackwood in the role of sugar cane owner, Crystal in deep conversation with Wilberforce, etc. The major point being that all of these roles still exist, they just look different than they did in times past.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”