Official Review: The Code for Killing by William Savage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Code for Killing by William Savage

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Code for Killing" by William Savage.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The Code for Killing" by William Savage is the second book in the Dr Adam Bascom Mysteries featuring the 18th-century doctor, Adam Bascom. I have not read the first book in the series, but I had no trouble following the story.

There's nothing I like more than a good historical mystery and this one fit the bill perfectly with mysterious deaths, intrigue, and red herrings aplenty to keep the pages turning. It is set in Georgian era England, and I think all the intricacies of social life at that time are very well portrayed. I haven't read many books set in that period, so this book was pleasantly refreshing.

Dr Adam Bascom is back in another out-of-the-mill mystery. After his last adventure, Adam is bored with his life as a country physician. When the enigmatic Mr. Wicken from the Alien office contacts him again, Adam soon finds himself deeply involved in the world of espionage and revolutionary war. This time around Adam is called to Norwich to examine one of Wicken’s men, Sanford. Sanford has been assaulted and lost his memory as a result. These are troubled times (social unrest, privateers, spying, and the upcoming war with France), so it is crucial that Sanford will regain his faculties. The plot thickens when secret government papers go missing, soon followed by two mysterious deaths. With the help of his two of his friends, the apothecary Peter Lassimer and his mother’s companion, Sophia LaSalle, Adam must unmask a murderer and unravel the "code for killing".

I won't say anything else about the plot. Suffice to say, it's got all the marks of a great mystery. Murder, suspicion, truths, and lies abound! The narrative keeps you in suspense until the very end. It isn't the edge-of-your-seat suspense, but suspense is nicely maintained until the rather reveal at the end.

The characters, setting, and dialogue are realistic and maintained a genuine Georgian feel throughout the novel. The presentation of the world is excellent and the reader is swept into that world and it becomes a satisfying reality. The author does a tremendous job capturing the personalities of his characters. Sophia and Adam are a delightful team and I enjoyed the banter between the two.

The author has written an elegant and intelligent mystery that keeps you interested from beginning to end. I loved the writing and the way the story unfolded before my very eyes. Interwoven within this exciting tale are themes of friendship, loyalty, compassion, betrayal, greed, and other insightful messages. The writing style is truly unique and well-crafted. Written in the tradition of atmospheric Georgian noir novels, it is rich in period detail and sinister intrigue. The writing brings all the characters to life right along with the period.

The author writes with panache, imparting a period correct voice to his work. There are plenty of interesting historical details to draw the reader into the story, but not too many as to tire the reader. The mystery within the pages of this excellent book is solidly developed and compelling. I loved the book and can't praise this book enough. I happily give the book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it as an outstanding read for fans of the genre. If you are looking for something with a lot of panache, look no further! This novel was wonderfully unique, and without a doubt the best book I have read in the genre!

The Code for Killing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review as always. This book sounds like something I would like since I love mysteries and also love books set in England - all that putting the kettle on and drinking tea adds a little ambience to the story. :) I am going to take a look at the first book in this series. "The author writes with panache"....what a great line!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Great review as always. This book sounds like something I would like since I love mysteries and also love books set in England - all that putting the kettle on and drinking tea adds a little ambience to the story. :) I am going to take a look at the first book in this series. "The author writes with panache"....what a great line!
Thank you. I believe you would like the book. Although it is the second book, it can be read by itself with no problems. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Great review as always. This book sounds like something I would like since I love mysteries and also love books set in England - all that putting the kettle on and drinking tea adds a little ambience to the story. :) I am going to take a look at the first book in this series. "The author writes with panache"....what a great line!
Thank you. I believe you would like the book. Although it is the second book, it can be read by itself with no problems. :)
If it's in England and someone puts the kettle on, I will like it. :) Biscuits? Even better.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
gali wrote:
If it's in England and someone puts the kettle on, I will like it. :) Biscuits? Even better.
Lol someone did! :lol:
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very well-written review, gali! It definitely does sound like a great mystery! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Very well-written review, gali! It definitely does sound like a great mystery! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :)
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Thank you for the excellent review! This sounds like a fun read! I like that even though it is part of a series, you can read it as a stand-alone novel. I also like that there is a nice amount of time period detail and character development.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:Thank you for the excellent review! This sounds like a fun read! I like that even though it is part of a series, you can read it as a stand-alone novel. I also like that there is a nice amount of time period detail and character development.
Thank you. I enjoyed it immensely. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and absorbing book. When I started reading the review, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson came to mind :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to William Savage on such an obviously well written book.
gali

Post by gali »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting and absorbing book. When I started reading the review, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson came to mind :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to William Savage on such an obviously well written book.
It is. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

still reading it :)
gali

Post by gali »

waluhyo wrote:still reading it :)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

-- 29 Aug 2016, 13:16 --

This book sounds fascinating! I have to read it! Great Review! :D
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
gali

Post by gali »

Silvermoon wrote:-- 29 Aug 2016, 13:16 --

This book sounds fascinating! I have to read it! Great Review! :D
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”