Official Review: The Gatherers by Craig Markley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: The Gatherers by Craig Markley

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gatherers" by Craig Markley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gatherers by Craig Markley is a thriller that puts a unique spin on a phenomenon we see every day - kidnapping. Children have been disappearing for years, and Nick’s sister was one of them. After this traumatic childhood event, Nick decides to become a cop. Looking for closure in his sister’s abduction, he continues investigating the cases of the children who have gone missing. When he is called in to investigate the abduction of two more children, he notices a pattern. After this discovery, he starts receiving threats from a mysterious source. Not willing to give up when he seems so close to cracking the case, he soon finds himself in a dangerous situation.

The plot in The Gatherers was great. The pace wasn’t too fast or too slow, and the story was very interesting. Thrillers like this one tend to be very confusing and hard to follow, but this one was not at all. It was easy to understand, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I also really liked the writing style in the book. The descriptions were phenomenal. It was easy to visualize everything that was happening, especially the parts that were more on the side of science-fiction. Usually when it comes to science-fiction, I have no idea what is going on. Even though certain elements in this book don’t actually exist, I was actually able to understand all of the concepts.

The editing, however, needs to be worked on. My biggest complaint is that the book was constantly switching back and forth between the past and present tenses. It seemed like some of it might have been intentional, but it was very distracting. One sentence would be in the present, and then suddenly the next would be back in the past tense. The book needs to be reformatted so that it is all in one tense.

There were other grammatical errors as well. Often quotation marks were missing, or they were placed where they shouldn’t be. Other times entire words were missing, or one letter would be missing from words. However, I think the most confusing mistake was the mix-up of names. A few times the name Jack was written where, I’m assuming, the name Nick should have been. This happened two or three times, and it did not make sense. The sentence would work if it had been Nick that the author was talking about, but Jack was written instead.

Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. The story was very unique, and well-thought out. The editing just needs work. It’s disappointing that the grammar was poor because the story was great. Unfortunately, the errors that were present were very distracting. This is one of those books that I would give a perfect rating to if the errors were gone. I would still recommend it despite the errors, especially if you are into thrillers. As written, however, I just couldn’t quite give it the full 4 stars.

The Gatherers
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I enjoyed reading your review. It makes me sad when bad editing happens to great stories.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

bluemel4 wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. It makes me sad when bad editing happens to great stories.
It makes me sad as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.
catmomma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by catmomma »

Craig, Thanks for the review. The book sounds really good, but I agree with you; typos/grammatical errors can really detract from a great story.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

catmomma wrote:Craig, Thanks for the review. The book sounds really good, but I agree with you; typos/grammatical errors can really detract from a great story.
They do take away from the story, but the book was still good.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and exciting book. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting and exciting book. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thank you! It was definitely interesting!
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

The book sounds intriguing. It's a shame about the need for editing. Great Review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

Silvermoon wrote:The book sounds intriguing. It's a shame about the need for editing. Great Review!
Thank you! It was definitely intriguing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”