Official Review: Who Is Olivia Green? by David Heaton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Official Review: Who Is Olivia Green? by David Heaton

Post by Clifora »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Is Olivia Green?" by David Heaton.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Is Olivia Green? by David Heaton is a C/T/M/H book of 204 pages. The story plot revolves around Olivia Green and her spy missions.

Olivia Green is a lover. With her sexy body and her seduction skills, she is able to get any man to fall in love with her. Olivia Green is a lawyer. She is a young graduate in a law firm with global reach. Olivia Green is a spy. She is one of the best assets in a top-secret organization that was formed after 9/11. Olivia Green is a fighter. Having been professionally trained and a CrossFit enthusiast, she sure can put up a fight.

After successfully completing her first assignment, Olivia is assigned to another mission – an assassination. This action-packed book follows Olivia as she meticulously plans out every single step of the assassination, making sure that nothing goes wrong - without forgetting to get her sexy on in the process.

Who Is Olivia Green? is an absolute thriller. It was action-packed and every action scene was well described. The action scenes kept me at the edge of my seat. The author set the mood of the scene perfectly and I felt as if I was right at the scene, watching Olivia perform every move. I was always worried about whether Olivia would succeed with her mission. Besides that, it cut to the action almost immediately. The start threw the reader straight into the story and the book was not slow at all.

However, there were numerous problems with the book. Firstly, there was just too much romance in the book. Since it was classified under C/T/M/H, the main focus of the story should be on Olivia’s spy missions – but there were so many romances forced into the story plot. I felt that too much space was taken up by descriptions of Olivia’s sexual pleasures. All the characters just seemed too hungry for sexual intercourse. On top of that, Olivia is a really cliché character. She is extremely attractive to men and is exceedingly smart for her age. She was just too perfect and this made her really unrealistic.

Finally, the book had an extremely unsatisfactory ending. The ending was quite confusing and I did not understand what was going on. It made the book seem unfinished to me. I’m not quite sure whether there is going to be a sequel to this book. Even if the ending was supposed to make the reader want more, I felt that it just created an abrupt ending to the book and this really threw me off.

I would rate Who Is Olivia Green? 1 out of 4 stars. Even though it had many amazing action scenes, the main character, Olivia, is too cliché, sexual intercourse took place too many times and the ending was too abrupt. It certainly had the potential to be a good book, but it’s a shame that I was unable to find the book enjoyable. Because of many inappropriate scenes in the book, I would not recommend it for young readers.

Who Is Olivia Green?
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Clifora's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I've always been a fan of a good thriller. Nice review. I think it's pretty hard to give a review when you aren't a fan of the story, but you've done well!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Clifora

Post by Clifora »

Thank you for the kind comment!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, Clifora! I don't feel this is my cup of tea either. Hopefully your next one goes better!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Hearing the negatives in the book is so helpful in determining whether or not something is a worthy read. I think this is one to skip, thank you for the helpful review.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a book with a potential. Too bad it you didn't enjoy it due to all the issues you mentioned. I hope you will enjoy your next book better, Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Clifora

Post by Clifora »

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

— T.S. Eliot
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Olivia's descriptions actually remind me of Sidney Sheldon's characters :) Too bad though that the entire book is not as good as it should be. Good job on the review.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

You did a great review and brought out some details about the book that would have made me put it down and not finish reading it. It is definitely not something that I would be interested in. Thank you for such a good review.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Clifora

Post by Clifora »

Thank you everyone!

— T.S. Eliot
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I too get put off by way too much sex in books. You find yourself going, "does the author assume I don't know how this works?" and looking around to make sure some child hasn't sneaked up on you and is reading over your shoulder. Or maybe that is just me.
Anyway, good review!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Clifora

Post by Clifora »

lane_vespertine wrote:I too get put off by way too much sex in books. You find yourself going, "does the author assume I don't know how this works?" and looking around to make sure some child hasn't sneaked up on you and is reading over your shoulder. Or maybe that is just me.
Anyway, good review!
Thank you! Too much sex in the book really affected the flow and put me off.

— T.S. Eliot

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”