Featured Review: Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Featured Review: Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green is a gripping supernatural horror debut. I love ghost stories, so I was immediately drawn in by the premise. The author created a good atmospheric story that will truly grip you. There is nothing like a good paranormal/ghost hunting story to get your juices flowing!

It isn't your typical ghost story, and the spirits aren't your run-of-the-mill cast either. This is a chilly tale of a haunted home, restless entities, and raw evil. It isn't over-scary, though some parts were spooky and spine-tingling. A horny entity visits our heroine, Charlie Love, in the biblical sense. Yes, you read right, but I better start from the beginning.

Charlie, a successful artist, just broke up with her boyfriend of the past three years. She now lives on her own in her newly renovated house situated in Leigh, Texas. Each night a strong menacing presence is taking over her mind and body and has its way with her. And the worst part of it?! She enjoys it and sometimes even craves for it! Imagine that!
With the help of two handsome paranormal investigators, Doug and Scott McQueen, and their side kick, a psychic by the name of Sheila, they try to figure out what's going on. They befriend Charlie and soon come to realize that she is a definite part of what goes on. Soon they find themselves entangled in a mystery involving the house's dark past. As they delve further into the mystery, more secrets are revealed, passion ignites, and evidences of unspeakable acts, come to light.

The story follows our multiple narrators as it flows smoothly back and forth through time, tracking the tangled chain of how the lot of them are connected. The way the author went back and forth between past and present kept me engaged and wanting to know what was coming next. Ghosts, romance, mystery, a gothic feel, skeletons in the closet, literarily, this book has everything a reader wants in a paranormal mystery. The banter between characters creates much of the comic relief throughout the book. Charlie was definitely refreshing to read about. I love it when the heroine isn't the whining type, but also allows herself to be treated like a damsel. The book carries a punch that will leave you reeling and wanting more. I looked for a read that could give me the chills, the laughs, the romance, and the action and got it in spades!

This book was easy to read, but a few things interrupted the flow of the story. The writing style was somewhat stilted at times and could use some smoothing out. There were numerous run-on sentences and a notable lack of commas. A scattering of commas should be added throughout! In some cases pronouns changed right in the middle of the sentence (from third person to first person), which confused me at first. There was some telling instead of showing in some sections, thought it didn't bother me much. Oh, and the book has two endings, a thing I found redundant.

Saying that, I enjoyed the story immensely. It was creepy, mysterious, fast-paced and full of shocking revelations. It carries themes of love, loss, abandonment, relationship, friendships, fallible human nature, good vs. evil, with a
punch! The author did a great job weaving the two story lines together. Each chapter is clearly labeled with the year to help the reader follow along. Another thing I greatly enjoyed is the way suspense is gradually built as the story progresses. Each detail given adds to the anticipation and the intrigue. The strange occurrences that happen here may be not give you chills, but they will keep you at the edge of your seat for sure. Of course, the reader needs to suspend belief to fully enjoy the story.

You should note that there are a few, select graphic scenes and some cringe inducing moments. There is also a bit of strong language and sexual content, so I would only recommend this book to a mature audience. Although it is the first book in the McQueen Investigation Series, it is a standalone. I truly can't wait for the next book in the series! I enjoyed the story immensely so rate it 3 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it for fans of the genre who want some creepiness in a book without all-out horror.

Unspeakable Acts
View: on Bookshelves

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds interesting, to say the least! I might have to check this one out. I love a good ghost story!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review. You made me laugh with the description "A horny entity visits...in the biblical sense." Glad you were able to enjoy the story despite the flaws.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you both!

I enjoyed it and found it a fresh tale. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, gali! The concept is definitely enticing, but I must say the fact that Charlie enjoys when the menacing presence has its way with her made me cringe a bit. :shock: Aside from its need for another editing job, I'm glad that you enjoyed the read! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Great review, gali! The concept is definitely enticing, but I must say the fact that Charlie enjoys when the menacing presence has its way with her made me cringe a bit. :shock: Aside from its need for another editing job, I'm glad that you enjoyed the read! :)
Thank you! :)

It isn't as bad as it sounds though, and there is an explanation to her "enjoyment" in the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:Great review, gali! The concept is definitely enticing, but I must say the fact that Charlie enjoys when the menacing presence has its way with her made me cringe a bit. :shock: Aside from its need for another editing job, I'm glad that you enjoyed the read! :)
Thank you! :)

It isn't as bad as it sounds though, and there is an explanation to her "enjoyment" in the book.
Oh, that's good to hear. The rest of it does sound pretty good!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heenarathore
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Heenarathore »

Sounds like something I might enjoy. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the insightful review. :-)
gali

Post by gali »

Heenarathore wrote:Sounds like something I might enjoy. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the insightful review. :-)
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a really interesting book. I love paranormal stories and mystery. I don't think I've read anything like this before, it sounds really unique and interesting. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

This sounds very interesting. I may have to give it a read. Thanks for a good review!
gali

Post by gali »

fallenechoes wrote:This sounds very interesting. I may have to give it a read. Thanks for a good review!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Sounds interesting! Great review gali! :)
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Great review, sounds interesting but it would not be something I would get myself to read because I scare easily. However after reading your review it makes me want to read it. Thanks for sharing.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Kate80
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kate80 »

Great review! Is definitely a book I am now very keen to read

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”