Official Review: Badgers & Jam by Nicci Rae

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Official Review: Badgers & Jam by Nicci Rae

Post by pyb »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Badgers & Jam" by Nicci Rae.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Badgers & Jam by Nicci Rae is a comedic, light, fast-paced book that begins with the death of the main character, British comedian Marty Rockman, as he collapses while performing on the stage of a nightclub. He quickly finds himself in some sort of after-life way station where he learns he was murdered and will be granted twenty-four hours to find his killer before moving on to “the next level.” He is allowed to choose an Earthly guide to conduct the hunt with whom he can communicate and watch from a celestial portal. Marty chooses his twelve-year old son Dom, who happens to have Down’s syndrome. It proves to be a fine choice.

What ensues is a search for Marty’s murderer as we are systematically introduced to a cast of characters to whom he is “related” (his invisible celestial guide, manager, current girlfriend, ex-wife, comedic rival, club owner, octogenarian medium), and get tugged along more than one plot twist.

While it is meant to be comedic, it never goes far enough below the surface for me, always skimming along the top. Even when we are afforded brief glimpses into Marty’s life via chapters that begin with humorous anecdotes which lend some insight into his past, or when we get to hear a few chapters narrated using the voice of several of the main characters, they fail to take us any deeper. I assume they are meant to build character, both his and his companions’, but they somehow miss the mark. And I imagine the fact that Marty’s son has Down’s syndrome is intended to be of great significance but, again, I didn’t get a strong enough sense of his character and what it is like to live with this disability.

Additionally, the book is littered with puns (many parenthetical) that are quite dry and have the potential to irritate certain readers. A few examples are: “…old habits die hard and so do I…”; “She may be wearing killer heels, but I suspect that’s the only sinister thing about her.”; “…which ticked him off the list and slightly ticked me off in the process.” So, you get the idea. This is the general style of writing; you can decide if it is to your liking.

Finally, in order to enjoy this book you have to be accepting of the far-fetched and implausible, and just go along for the ride…

I rate Badgers & Jam 2 out of 4 stars, although I wish I could give it a 2.5. While I have lodged some criticisms regarding its lack of depth, overabundance of dry puns, and fantastical nature, I still wanted to keep reading it. Its suspense tactics were quite successful; each chapter ending with a mini-cliff-hanger, which made me want to press on. And it does finish with a brief, somewhat thoughtful commentary on how precious time is. Still, I do not think this is one I would put on my “books to recommend” list.

Badgers & Jam
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pyb's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very insightful review, pyb! I can definitely understand how this book is laid out and its positives and room for improvement. Unfortunately, this is not my cup of tea, but I'm glad that you wanted to keep reading it!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
pyb

Post by pyb »

Thanks! It was very difficult giving it a score because it totally depends on your sense of humor....

-- 21 Jul 2016, 10:19 --

Thanks! It was very difficult giving it a score because it totally depends on your sense of humor....
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yeah, I can see that. I've had a few that I had a hard time giving a score as well, but I think you gave a fair score based on your reasons. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

The plot of this book sounds quite interesting and unique. It's a shame that you did not enjoy the book. Based on your review, I can certainly understand why it was difficult to score. Great review though!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
pyb

Post by pyb »

Thank you Clifora and hsimone. I am sure a lot of people out there will find it a fun read and I hope my review will point that audience in the book's direction.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”