Official Review: Anonymous by Christine Benedict

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Anonymous by Christine Benedict

Post by barb429 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christine Benedict’s novel Anonymous is a mystery thriller that makes the reader question what is really going on. Debra Hamilton is a woman with a troubled past. She experienced a very turbulent childhood due to her mother’s mental illness. When Debra and her husband invest their life savings to purchase an old, dilapidated farmhouse she is less than thrilled with her new environment. Although she wants her husband to be happy Debra begins to fear for her safety and her sanity when strange things begin happening inside the house. She is unsure if the home is indeed haunted, or if she is losing her mind as her mother did.

As the strange occurrences continue to mount and an unwelcome presence within the house seems to make itself known, Debra becomes friends with her neighbor Julie who is dealing with a threatening presence of her own. Julie is receiving strange letters from a stalker, and the two women find themselves searching for explanations.

I enjoyed Benedict’s writing style. Early in the book the narrative alternates between the past and the present providing the reader with the histories of both Debra and Julia. The point of view continues to shift throughout the rest of the book. By offering the perspectives of different characters Benedict invites the reader to connect with their experiences. During some of the more sinister moments the shift in the point of view provides the reader with insight into what some of the less savory characters are thinking. For example, we get to look into the mind of a particular character who enjoys killing cats. As we learn a little bit about the brutal way he thinks, we also worry about what he may do to the protagonists of the story.

My main complaint about Anonymous is that the ending felt a little abrupt to me. All of my questions were answered but the resolution occurred very quickly. Even though I don’t necessarily like long explanations, I would have liked the ending to play out more smoothly than it did.

I do think that anybody who enjoys a little bit of a scare mixed in with their mystery thrillers will enjoy this book. While it is not overwhelmingly scary, there are definitely some creepy parts. And If creepy crawlies incite fear for you, this book definitely provides that! You will encounter spiders, snakes, bugs and rodents. I give Anonymous 3 out of 4 stars. It is an intriguing story and the characters have vivid backstories that add depth to their personalities. It is a book that is definitely difficult to put down.

Anonymous
View: on Bookshelves

Like barb429's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds like a great book. I've read a lot of books with abrupt endings lately. It is kind of disappointing when that happens at the end of a great book. Thanks for your review!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, barb429! I actually considered this as a review option, but passed on it. I wasn't sure if it would be too creepy for me. I'm glad you enjoyed despite the abrupt ending. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. I'm not a big fan of abrupt endings either. I like my endings to play our smoothly and give some detail and not just drop off and leave me hanging.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. Just like you, I don't like abrupt endings. I like them detailed, elaborated and smooth :) Great job on the review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting! I am not fan of abrupt endings either. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I was interested in the book up to the point of the man killing cats, that was a little to horrific for me. Ew! You did a good job portraying the book and if I can get past the willies, I think I would enjoy reading it. Great Review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Birdlady1950 »

STORY-LINE ANONYMOUS:

Author Christine Benedict has created a spine tingling mystery thriller in her novel, Anonymous. Set in 1984, a young couple will come face to face with the evil of humanity, the paranormal, and their own mortality. Furthermore, they live to tell the tale. Do ghost exist? Ask the real people who know this circa 1875 farmhouse. Yes, it does exist and Ms. Benedict's based Anonymous on this house and personal experience with a stalker. The Monroe Falls Paranormal Society investigated this house and produced a documentary; link can found at bottom of page.

In 1984, Debra and Greg move into a run down circa 1875 farmhouse. Containing 14 rooms, In need of extensive repairs, and far scarier than Debra could have ever imagined. Birthed in a family of insanity, abused both mental and physical, Debra fights thoughts of following in her mother's insane path. Things are happening in this old house; frightening things. Finding herself alone with her thoughts, she befriends her neighbors. Julie appears to have it all. Yes she does, including a mysterious insane stalker. Between Julie's stalker, Julie's violent husband Kyle, and a house trying to drive her crazy, Debra is hanging on by a thread. Things appear and disappear, floors creak, footsteps heard, and much more. However, sometimes, we find people are scarier than ghost.

Grab your favorite beverage, take seat, grab this book, and always leave all the lights on . A fast paced insane ride. Come along with Debra and company as they experience life at its best and worst.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Before anything else, I must say how much I enjoyed this book. With a story-line taken from anywhere USA, Anonymous swept me into the world of Debra and Greg. A world in which Greg will support and love Debra through thick and thin, sane or insane.

The writing style of Ms. Benedict is clear, clean and easy to read. She infused this story with emotion; from the scariest elements to Debra's mental anguish, the reader can feel it all. The hair on my arms raised at times during my journey through this book. Everyone loves to be frightened whether by ghost stories, scary movies, or books. Ms. Benedict added all the correct elements to her story to entertain and frighten. However, the thought of an insane stalker following your every move is beyond scary. Filled with mystery, thrills, and drama, I read this book straight through.

Author Christine Benedict added twists and turns in this book which will keep you glued to the pages. I thought I had ferreted out the answers. However, I found the plot twisted from my conclusions. This is a fun, scary, and entertaining book with a fast pace, good character development and solid story-line. I loved the strength of character Debra gained by the end of the book. You realize by the last page, the house, stalkers, abusive neighbors, nor insanity will never conquer Debra.

ANONYMOUS, RECOMMENDATION: STARS 5

I did not hesitate to give Anonymous 5 well deserved stars. A fast paced roller coaster ride of mystery, chills, and thrills, Anonymous will provide entertainment at its best. Due to subject matter, I recommend this book for young adults and adults.

In addition: I received an ARC from the author and have chosen to review the book. Books reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, book reviews on line under my name are my opinion.

Note: I did not experience the editing issues some ebook readers have experienced.

Awards: Six Awards For Anonymous

1.Winner of the 2016 Wishing Shelves Book Bronze Award
2.Winner of the 2015 Clue Award (Chanticleer Reviews)
3.Winner of the 2015 Eric Hoffer Book Award
4.Nominated for the 2015 First Horizon Book Award
5.Nominated for the 2015 IAN Book Of The Year
6.Nominated for the 2015 Next Generation Indie Book Award
Lorakbarr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lorakbarr »

This sounds like a really good book I love murder mysteries books one of my favorite is then they were none. I would enjoy reading this book and many more

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”