Official Review: The Patricide by Kim Ekemar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Patricide by Kim Ekemar

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Patricide" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I started developing a taste for "golden age mysteries" following extensive sessions with Agatha Christie. There's nothing I like more than to sink my teeth into a good locked room mystery and this one fit the bill perfectly! The Patricide by Kim Ekemar is a gripping whodunit mystery set in 1935 France, featuring Inspector Jean-Claude Rimbaud and Emilie Beauchamp, his sharp-witted aunt.

It all starts out when a wealthy landowner, Patrice Lafarge, decides to change his will in order to prevent the selling of his beloved estate after his death. He invites his three grownup children over to celebrate his 75th birthday. The real purpose behind the invitation is to inform them about the coming changes he intends to make in his testament. Patrice is portrayed as stubborn, overbearing, and irrational man and none too loved by his kids. He also has an older (and retarded) son from another liaison and a housekeeper who takes care of his needs.

Day after the family gathering, a mysterious fire breaks out and Patrice is found dead in his bedroom. The door was locked and bolted from the inside and there was no way anyone could enter or leave the room. And so the stage is set for this clever locked room mystery. Inspector Jean-Claude Rimbaud is called to the scene and has to determine whether it was an accident or a murder most foul. The presence of a S-shaped metal subject in the bedroom becomes a vital clue, as does the background of each of the characters involved. And then there is issue of the missing will… It is up to our Inspector Jean-Claude Rimbaud and his trustworthy sidekick aunt to puzzle all the pieces together and unlock the mystery of the locked-room.

An appropriately slow opening of the book allows us to meet the main characters. The author takes the reader inside the mind of all the characters and exposes the reader to emotions felt by each of the characters. As the story progresses the pace picks up considerably, especially after the death of Patrice. The meaning of "Patricide" is "the action of killing one's father", horrifying as it sounds, and this is the main theme of the book. The author has also seamlessly woven themes of fallible human nature, family relationships, duty, love, and tradition vs. progress. The message that "Life can be appreciated from angles of a very large prism" comes across loud and clear.

This book certainly has a lot going for it. It's a locked-room mystery of the highest order: a suspicious death, cleverly construct plot, intriguing clues and red herrings aplenty to keep the pages turning. The narrative voice is succinct, dry, straightforward, and easy to read. I did find it a bit slower to get through to begin with, but this quickly changed as the story unfolded. I liked the fact that the reader can figure out partially the solution from the clues given. The solution to the mystery was nothing short of brilliant, let me tell you! The author ups the ante with the most creative solution I have ever seen.

The author provides the reader a list of characters, but it isn't that complex to keep track of the characters. Aunt Emilie was by far my most favorite character. She reminded me of Miss Marple with her antics. The plot moves at a steady pace, and the author does a wonderful job of providing just enough detail to paint a clear picture of the characters and settings. The characters are rather interesting, and the who, how and why are not divulged until the last minute. However, parts of the plot are more tell than show, and the transition between scenes is not always done smoothly. Also almost everyone got a personal drama which seemed a bit constructed. Nonetheless, it is a very well written and edited book (except a couple of missing words).

All in all I enjoyed the book immensely, so rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This is a competent example of the locked room mystery genre, and a very entertaining one to boot. I do hope another book is on the cards. I recommended the book for people who enjoy classic mysteries and for any readers really wanting to immerse themselves in the pleasures of a locked room mystery.

The Patricide
View: on Bookshelves

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

This one sounds right up my alley! Awesome review as usual, gali! It sounds like a definite winner! Congratulations to the author!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:This one sounds right up my alley! Awesome review as usual, gali! It sounds like a definite winner! Congratulations to the author!
Thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

:tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I loved reading your review, gali! It's very well-written, descriptive, and the book definitely sparks my interest. For a few minutes I couldn't figure out where I've seen the author's name, and then I realized (after searching), he wrote The Callaghan Tetralogy! Anyway, wonderful review!

Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:I loved reading your review, gali! It's very well-written, descriptive, and the book definitely sparks my interest. For a few minutes I couldn't figure out where I've seen the author's name, and then I realized (after searching), he wrote The Callaghan Tetralogy! Anyway, wonderful review!

Indeed, this is the same author. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:I loved reading your review, gali! It's very well-written, descriptive, and the book definitely sparks my interest. For a few minutes I couldn't figure out where I've seen the author's name, and then I realized (after searching), he wrote The Callaghan Tetralogy! Anyway, wonderful review!

Indeed, this is the same author. Thank you. :)
:tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! Your phrase "extensive sessions with Agatha Christie" made me laugh. :) This book sounds like something I would like!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review! Your phrase "extensive sessions with Agatha Christie" made me laugh. :) This book sounds like something I would like!
lol I am now rereading short stories by her. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Well written review. It sound like a book that I would enjoy reading.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gali

Post by gali »

Vermont Reviews wrote:Well written review. It sound like a book that I would enjoy reading.

Vermont Reviews
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Post by kimekemar »

I appreciate the review, Gali … but surely you meant "gripping" instead of "griping" and "angles" instead of "angels"? No worries, this only illustrates how difficult it is for any writer to get everything absolutely right. Anthony Burgess once wrote that no books without errors exist. After all the very hard work and multiple revisions and editing that goes into any of my novels in my futile attempts to reach perfection, I believe Burgess was right. There's always something that's not perfect that mars the text … a missing word, a computer changing the spelling, forgotten punctuation or whatever.
In particular I salute you for finding "the solution nothing short of brilliant". That, and your statement that it's "the most creative solution I have ever seen" – especially in the light that you're a devout fan of Agatha Christie and locked-room mysteries – made my day.

All the best,

Kim Ekemar
kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Post by kimekemar »

To everyone interested in reading “The Patricide” that Gali recently reviewed on such a positive note, please understand that for the moment the book is only available through pre-order. The publishing date for the book is set for August 15, 2016 – but, if you opt for ordering “The Patricide” before that date, you will receive a 50% discount!
It is available for pre-orders on Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Smashwords, Nook, among many others.
gali

Post by gali »

kimekemar wrote:I appreciate the review, Gali … but surely you meant "gripping" instead of "griping" and "angles" instead of "angels"? No worries, this only illustrates how difficult it is for any writer to get everything absolutely right. Anthony Burgess once wrote that no books without errors exist. After all the very hard work and multiple revisions and editing that goes into any of my novels in my futile attempts to reach perfection, I believe Burgess was right. There's always something that's not perfect that mars the text … a missing word, a computer changing the spelling, forgotten punctuation or whatever.
In particular I salute you for finding "the solution nothing short of brilliant". That, and your statement that it's "the most creative solution I have ever seen" – especially in the light that you're a devout fan of Agatha Christie and locked-room mysteries – made my day.

All the best,

Kim Ekemar
Sorry about that. I fixed it. :tiphat:

Thank you for your comments and I hope to read more books with whose protagonists. :)

-- June 30th, 2016, 5:38 am --
kimekemar wrote:To everyone interested in reading “The Patricide” that Gali recently reviewed on such a positive note, please understand that for the moment the book is only available through pre-order. The publishing date for the book is set for August 15, 2016 – but, if you opt for ordering “The Patricide” before that date, you will receive a 50% discount!
It is available for pre-orders on Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Smashwords, Nook, among many others.
:text-yeahthat:

I certainly recommend you to take advantage of this generous offer. It is a charming mystery which I enjoyed immensely. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I love Agatha Christie and this book sounds right up my alley! This book is a must read for me! Great Review! :D
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”