Official Review: Necessary Evils by Bill Carson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Necessary Evils by Bill Carson

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Necessary Evils" by Bill Carson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Necessary Evils is an exciting thriller novel by Bill Carson.

Written, for the most part, in the third person perspective, the story is about John Kane, a transport manager whose job includes overseeing fleet of chauffeur-driven limousines that take chief executives around. As John looks forward to a romantic evening with his beloved wife, Sarah, he receives a call from the police. His wife was attacked with a knife and bled to death.

The pain of losing the only person that matters to him is just too much for John that he tries to kill himself. He miraculously survives and wakes up with a new mission in life: to hunt the vile creatures of Britain who prey on innocent victims like Sarah.

The first thing I like about the story is the fast pace. The moment the action starts, it never stops, making the book very difficult to put down. Though the theme is not very original, the execution is smooth and absorbing and the writing is conversational and easy to read. Most importantly, the descriptions are top rate. Apparently, the author is very particular with even the most minute of details. The settings are elaborately described and the manners of which the protagonist kills his victims are vividly and graphically depicted. Moreover, I commend the author for seamlessly inserting a little bit of romance in such a violent story. It gives the book a softer feel.

The author expertly describes the pain of losing a loved one; how pain drives a person to the edge of sanity and how he wants to inflict the same level of pain on those who deserve it. The story makes the reader contemplate on the moral implication of taking the life of a criminal to protect innocent people. At some point, I find myself rooting for John and praying that he will not get caught while at the same time berating him for violating the law.

In that regard, I like how the author developed the protagonist. John Kane is an ordinary guy who turns insanely violent when his loved one was killed. He is also very smart. He learns from his mistakes, prepares for his attacks and disposes evidence that might incriminate him. He chooses his weapons well, dons clothing that conceals his identity and wears expensive and protective vest. He is passionate and focused on his mission and the best thing is, he knows when it is time to stop. He is one remarkable and admirable character.

However, I noticed a particular scene that I find irrelevant, which is thankfully not very long. That and the confusing shift of POV from third person to first person. The first person point of view is originally written in italics indicating the characters’ thoughts. The italicizing, however, was discontinued at the later chapters.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to fans of action and thriller. However, this book contains very violent scenes and appalling and gruesome details which are not suitable for young readers.

Necessary Evils
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This sounds like a wild ride and action-packed, but with heart. I think the shift in POV would be annoying to me too. Also, thanks for the warning about the violent scenes. That's always handy information to have.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Seems like an attention grabber! I agree with Shelle on giving a heads up due to some disturbing scenes in the book. I myself am not really bothered by a lot of things, but others unlike myself definitely should be informed so they can make their own decision to read the book.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Shelle wrote:Great review! This sounds like a wild ride and action-packed, but with heart. I think the shift in POV would be annoying to me too. Also, thanks for the warning about the violent scenes. That's always handy information to have.
Thank you very much. This is a great book but the violent scenes may be discomfitting to other readers.

-- 13 May 2016, 02:39 --
Booky_BettyC wrote:Seems like an attention grabber! I agree with Shelle on giving a heads up due to some disturbing scenes in the book. I myself am not really bothered by a lot of things, but others unlike myself definitely should be informed so they can make their own decision to read the book.
Thank you. I hope you get the chance to read it.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Your review makes this book sound very interesting. I'm not sure i would like the graphic parts very much since the author is so good with desdriptions, but otherwise this book sounds exciting. Stories where descriptions are well-written make it very easy to get drawn into the action. This book seems like it could get a little intense, but it does sound like a good read. Thank you for the good, informative review.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Amheiser wrote:Your review makes this book sound very interesting. I'm not sure i would like the graphic parts very much since the author is so good with desdriptions, but otherwise this book sounds exciting. Stories where descriptions are well-written make it very easy to get drawn into the action. This book seems like it could get a little intense, but it does sound like a good read. Thank you for the good, informative review.
Thank you. It is an exciting read, indeed, but only for those who do not mind graphically described violence.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! This sounds like a great and thrilling read! Also, I'm glad that one scene did not hinder the plot. Congratulations to Bill Carson for receiving such a great review and writing such a capturing book!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review! This sounds like a great and thrilling read! Also, I'm glad that one scene did not hinder the plot. Congratulations to Bill Carson for receiving such a great review and writing such a capturing book!
Thank you very much. It is great and thrilling :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! The story sounds interesting, but I am not a fan of extremely violent scenes in books. I also find it distracting and confusing when POV shifts are not clear.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review! The story sounds interesting, but I am not a fan of extremely violent scenes in books. I also find it distracting and confusing when POV shifts are not clear.

Great review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Oooo this book sounds really good. I love fast-paced action stories. This book actually reminds me a lot of Braveheart which is one of my favorite movies. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

CrescentMoon wrote:Oooo this book sounds really good. I love fast-paced action stories. This book actually reminds me a lot of Braveheart which is one of my favorite movies. Great review!
Thank you very much. If you love fast-paced action stories, then this book is for you.
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

It really looks like an interesting book, for theones who can handle the graphic violence depicted in it. The main character seems like an antagonist hero. Sort-of
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like my mind of read; action packed and engaging.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a great thriller! I liked it when the author seamlessly inserts a little bit of romance amidst all the action.

Congratulations to the author on the great review and on being BOTD!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”