Official Review: Basics of Ransom by Ian Maxwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Official Review: Basics of Ransom by Ian Maxwell

Post by easy_dc13 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Basics of Ransom" by Ian Maxwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Frank Turner was a whiz kid. Was, because his glory days of creating generic websites and upping his net worth are well past him. Thankfully, he isn’t completely broke because one of the early investors of one of his generic websites had offered him a job. He’s now an Entrepreneur in Residence or what you can call, a hundred grand a year watchman. Nowadays, he’s just a guy with a desk and a place in the Greater Seattle area, one who has a mortgage, two cars, and a second generation Vietnamese wife.

On the other hand, Nick and Sean have to pay their respective debts. The former owes four hundred grand to his uncle while the latter needs 12 grand and 700 to pay off his bookie. Scrambling for options, the duo stumble upon the news featuring the man of the hour, Frank Turner. After doing some hard 4th page-5th page Google research, the two decide to do what guys in need of a handful of benjamins usually do, kidnap a rich guy’s wife. Unfortunately, Frank isn’t all that and is mortgaged up to his eyeballs. So how does the broke guy plan to retaliate?

Basics of Ransom is a thriller by Ian Maxwell. Sounds like a dark, possibly serious, title? Think again, because this book will certainly get a handful of laughs from any reader, and rightfully so. The book establishes its humor right from the get-go, but that’s just one of a number of things this title has going for it.

The book isn’t really a thought-provoking, nerve-wracking machine. What it does though, it does really well. It’s fun, profane, quirky, but it doesn’t let all that detract from the overall quality of the book. At a modest 155 pages, it moves fast enough and the story doesn’t stagnate thanks to solid pacing. And even though it is meant to be a fun take on the subject matter of ransom, it is actually a very original and well-thought-out story that does not come off as shallow. Also, like any other good book, everything is vividly described to make every scene come alive.

On another note, the book would not be what it is without the cast of characters. You have the has-been who finds a second wind in Frank. The capable guy with a plan, Nick and his rather goofy pal, Sean. The hot Asian chick with a booty, Carol. Frank’s pretentious and slightly unhinged friend from way back, Chad. And a couple of other background players in Don Sorentino and his consigliere, Jalwinder. All of them contributing a slice in the enjoyable pie that is this book.

It’s no classic but Basics of Ransom has enough wit and charm, and a pretty fun cast to be recommended to any kind of reader. If you’ve been reading a lot of tense stories or titles the size of a world record burger, then this book is a perfectly good way to just sit back and soak in the fun of the internet, nighttime jogging, ransom and everything in between (including overpriced steaks and clown masks). I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Basics of Ransom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like easy_dc13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

This books sounds like a lot of fun. I had the pleasure of reviewing another book by Ian Maxwell called 'Moscow Machination' that was a great read. I'll have to check this one out too simply because I enjoy this author's work so dang much!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:

Post by easy_dc13 »

Definitely! Maybe I can check out that other title sometime since I saw it on the last page of the book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, easy_dc13! It indeed sounds like a fun read! I'm glad that you enjoyed it's humor and quirkiness. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:

Post by easy_dc13 »

Yep! Humor usually does the trick, along with a meaningful story. :)
Ianmaxwellbooks
Favorite Book: Moscow Machination
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ianmaxwellbooks »

Thank you for liking the book, easy_dc13 (which btw is a cool handle). I especially like the way you put it - "It’s no classic but Basics of Ransom has enough wit and charm..." - Yes, that is exactly what I was hoping for the book to be. No highbrow stuff here, just funny situations. Thanks again!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Really great review. Sounds like a enjoyable read.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:

Post by easy_dc13 »

Ianmaxwellbooks wrote:Thank you for liking the book, easy_dc13 (which btw is a cool handle). I especially like the way you put it - "It’s no classic but Basics of Ransom has enough wit and charm..." - Yes, that is exactly what I was hoping for the book to be. No highbrow stuff here, just funny situations. Thanks again!
Well, you did a great job! Keep up the rad stuff :)
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

This sounds like a really good book to read! It is very rare that you find a thriller/suspense novel with comedy or quirky. You did a great review and I might have to look into this book more!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”