Official Review: The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grand" by Dennis D. Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson is a highly engrossing political crime thriller debut novel. I really had no idea what to expect as I started reading this book, but after a couple of chapters I found myself completely engrossed in this story and almost unable to put it down. It is a slow-build murder mystery set in a small town, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and one of those books that grow on you as the story progresses.

The story begins with a bang (literally) and from there the emotional roller coaster doesn't stop until the last page.
Hayden Smith, a real estate broker from Wyoming and its most eligible bachelor, walks in on a couple having sexual intercourse, a circumstance which will set in motion a chain of events culminating in death. Pretty soon things go south for all concerned.

Chicago Federal Agent Dean Wister happens to be vacationing in the area. After losing his wife to cancer, he finds it difficult to come to terms with his loss and is ordered to take a three month leave of absence. He decides to go to Jackson Hole, the place where he first met his wife. Did I mention that he talks to the ghost of his wife, and only her nocturnal visits keep him from a total breakdown?? I found those chats very touching.

Meanwhile a notorious Chicago hit man is killed in a freak car crash in Teton County. When the body of a local real estate agent is found soon after and another agent has gone missing, the local sheriff suspects foul play and asks Dean's help solving the case. Soon Dean finds himself entangled in an investigation that tests his skill and endangers his life. While investigating, he finds the time to save an abused dog from a cruel owner and he earned many brownie points for that! The name of the dog most assuredly will put a smile on your face, let me tell you!

The plot thickens when the breadcrumbs trail leads to a wealthy tycoon, a presidential candidate, a local crime lord, and a Chicago mobster. Add to the melting pot money laundering, blackmail, shenanigans, murder, drama, twists, red herrings, and political intrigue and you get a gem of a book!

What begins as a seemingly simple mystery ends in a more complex place than the reader could ever expect. There are many plot threads running through the story and they all intersect. At first I didn't feel the thriller moments, the hold your breath as you read moments, but then it started to evolve and escalate. The book wraps up well, and most of the loose ends were tied up very neatly. The ending was definitely hold your breath drama and I loved, loved, loved it!

The Wyoming setting is beautifully constructed and there's a solid cast of supporting characters. The plot takes a while to get going due to a heavy emphasis on character development, not a bad thing. The author does a great job capturing the personalities of his characters and bringing them to life. The writing is excellent and mystery was well-laid out. I sure hope there is a sequel on the cards.

The author has seamlessly woven themes of fallible human nature, loss, friendship, love, hope, human trafficking, and prostitute. The message that life should go on and experienced to the fullest comes across loud and clear. In addition to the excellent job the author did in establishing a sense of place and characters, I also really liked the way he incorporated into the narrative the political issue, though I am not into politics. This added a sense of authenticity to the story. The chapters are relatively short and it keeps the action going. The plot has continuous twists in store, but it still manages to reflect the psychological depth of the characters.

I enjoyed the book immensely so rate it 4 out of 4 stars! More of a political thriller than an action thriller, this is definitely worth a read if you are looking for something to stretch your mind and horizons. If you are looking for an intelligent, high spirited, in depth plot and don't mind a bit of cussing, you should most assuredly pick up this book. Definitely recommended to readers who look for a thriller with an edge!

The Grand
View: on Bookshelves

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

Great review! I am very intrigued by this story's premise and plot. I also love Jackson Hole, so am probably a bit biased just because of the book's setting. This might have to be on my reading list when we road trip to Wyoming this summer!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
gali

Post by gali »

Shelle wrote:Great review! I am very intrigued by this story's premise and plot. I also love Jackson Hole, so am probably a bit biased just because of the book's setting. This might have to be on my reading list when we road trip to Wyoming this summer!
Thank you. Lucy you! Enjoy your coming trip! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A wonderfully well-written review, gali! It seems like there's a lot going on, but it's good to know the author weaves everything together nicely. I'm glad you enjoyed the read!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:A wonderfully well-written review, gali! It seems like there's a lot going on, but it's good to know the author weaves everything together nicely. I'm glad you enjoyed the read!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Thank you. I enjoyed it very much. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your well-written, thorough review. I like mysteries, especially ones with a strong setting. This one looks great!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your well-written, thorough review. I like mysteries, especially ones with a strong setting. This one looks great!
Thank you, and it is. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like a very complex and exciting book!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
gali

Post by gali »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Sounds like a very complex and exciting book!
It is that. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I love books that provide "the hold your breath as you read moments." I love that there is so much going on and that it is well done. Great job!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:Fantastic review! I love books that provide "the hold your breath as you read moments." I love that there is so much going on and that it is well done. Great job!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a well written review. Political thrillers aren't my cup of tea, but this sounds like it has some other things going for it. Glad you enjoyed it!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
gali

Post by gali »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a well written review. Political thrillers aren't my cup of tea, but this sounds like it has some other things going for it. Glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you, and I sure did! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

This review is very thorough and informative. It seems like there really is a lot going on in this story and it all sounds very interesting. Your enthusiasm for the story makes me want to read it soon. Good review!
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
gali

Post by gali »

Amheiser wrote:This review is very thorough and informative. It seems like there really is a lot going on in this story and it all sounds very interesting. Your enthusiasm for the story makes me want to read it soon. Good review!
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”