Official Review: Buddies by Edward A. Dreyfus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Buddies by Edward A. Dreyfus

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Buddies" by Edward A. Dreyfus.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was a fan of The Midnight Shrink (which I rated 3 out of 4 stars) by Edward A. Dreyfus, so I jumped at the opportunity to give this book, Buddies a shot as well. It's a slightly older book, coming out in 2014 as opposed to 2015, and while the story is very different, it's just as enjoyable.

Buddies tells the tale of four men, friends since elementary school, who all reunite after seven years apart. Billy (a charismatic, confident attorney), Sam (Dr. Samuel, professor) and Roy (also with a doctoral degree, nicknamed Spock, executive at a medical research firm) have lived in Manhattan for a long time, but it's Joey's moving to town that prompts them to begin hanging out again.

Joey was a football player who almost made it to the pros, but a broken leg a year prior ruined everything. Since then he'd been married and divorced twice, with three children between them, and he longs to relive the glory days the four of them shared in Ohio. Despite some reluctance from his successful friends, they hang out and immediately decide to do it as much as possible. One fateful day at the racquetball court, they meet a man named Raul; Raul is a friendly guy, and since they're short a person this day they decide to play together, becoming fast friends. Shortly after, at a private party at Raul's place, they not only find out just how rich he is, they meet his stunning, sensual wife Sasha.

Sasha is trouble from the second they meet her. Their wives notice how they stare at her and feel shame, jealousy and anger, and it isn't long before she has each of the men wrapped around her finger. From there, twists and revelations become almost nonstop until the story ends.

The story ended up being fairly predictable for the most part, but there were several twists I never would've imagined. Despite being so right about so many guesses, however, the writing is well done and is enjoyable throughout - I think even if I was told exactly what would happen on page one I'd have enjoyed the book. While it took a bit of time to really tell the difference between Sam and Roy's characters, the book really allows all four of the main men to be great characters, as well as Raul, Sasha and a few others I can't mention. There are only a few grammatical errors in the book as well, which isn't perfect but certainly a minor issue as none of the errors were too disruptive.

Much like The Midnight Shrink, one of the best parts of the story are the points made through the story. The three main friends (not including Joey) all seem like they lead wonderful, perfect lives - two of them have children and all three are married with successful lives - but there's more behind the scenes. The way each man changes due to Sasha's existence in their lives is astounding but sadly realistic. By the end, each, deep down, realizes they're missing something, and the most crazy (but believable) turn of events leads them to fulfillment.

Finally worth mentioning, there are sex scenes in the book. They're not crude and they're very sensual, like Sasha herself, but it's worth mentioning as I can't suggest the book for anyone under 18 because of them. The violence is kept to a minimum, however.

Once again, I found myself really enjoying a book by Edward A. Dreyfus, and once again the book deserves 3 out of 4 stars. If it would've been a little less predictable it very well could've been the perfect 4, but it's still a book I'd recommend.

Buddies
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book with intriguing characters especially the very rich Raul and his sensual wife Sasha. Great job on the review.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've gotten interested in the Edward Dreyfus novels because of your reviews. Thank you!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Thanks very much for the kind words Kimmy! And I'm glad to hear that, MsMartha! The cool thing about reviewing more than one book by an author is being able to see if they're consistently good, and that's certainly the case here.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your insightful review! It was particularly interesting to read your opinions, as I read and reviewed another book by this author. :) Adding this one to my reading list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Very well done review. Well written and informative.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”