Official Review: Schism by Clabe Polk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Official Review: Schism by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Schism" by Clabe Polk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Schism by Clabe Polk is the third installment of the Detective Mike Eiser series. The series centers around a Detective in a small town in Georgia. This book, like the others in the series, is a thriller which is difficult to put down.

Schism begins with Kat Thomas in Atlanta. She has a young son, named Jimmy, and is pregnant with her second son, named Quinton. Quinton’s father, Sylvester Brown, a member of the Westside Dragons, is killed by “Mad Dog” Lincoln, an up-and-coming member of the rival gang, Raven’s Claws. The loss of her future husband prompts Kat to uproot her life and children from Atlanta and move to Poplar Bluffs.

Years later, “Mad Dog” Lincoln is arrested by the ATF for the possession of illegal guns. In order to stay out of prison, “Mad Dog” Lincoln becomes a confidential informant to report the activities of the Raven’s Claws in Atlanta. The leaders of the Raven’s Claws become suspicious of “Mad Dog” Lincoln and banish him to Poplar Bluffs to start a new branch of the gang there.

Raven’s Claws in Poplar Bluffs are actively recruiting Quinton. Jimmy urges Quinton not to pursue initiation into the Raven’s Claws, but Quinton gets in too deep. The Raven’s Claws and “Mad Dog” Lincoln don’t want to let him go. A number of crimes follow, including theft, murder, and kidnapping. Detective Mike Eiser is tasked with solving these crimes, protecting the citizens of Poplar Bluffs, and punishing those responsible for the crimes.

Schism is a thriller which kept me up all night reading. The town of Poplar Bluffs truly comes to life through the vast array of characters. This novel separates itself from other thrillers in two ways. First, the perspectives of multiple characters are shared. This allows the reader to feel and understand the thoughts and actions of many characters. While it can be confusing when jumping around from character to character, Clabe Polk handles it brilliantly, making sure the reader knows exactly who to focus on at each point in the story. Second, slang is used when some of the main characters are speaking. The slang can be difficult to read quickly in some areas, but when read slowly the slang adds another layer to the characters. The character development is superb throughout the novel and by the end of the book, the characters feel like friends and family.

Schism starts out a little slow as the storyline is explained, but quickly turns into a novel that will keep readers up at night. Also at the beginning of the novel, there are some very minor editing issues. Most notably, the use of Westside Dragons and West Side Dragons.

The character development made Schism one of the better novels I have read in a long time. Therefore, I would rate Schism a 4 out of 4 stars! After finishing, I quickly purchased the first two installments of the series and am looking forward to reading them. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good thriller.

Schism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like sarahpayne23's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I love a good thriller! This sounds like something I might enjoy as well! Thanks for the review :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Sounds like an interesting book! Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
PolkC64
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by PolkC64 »

Sarah,
Thank you very much for the great review! I'm thrilled that you liked SCHISM and would like to suggest that you may like ANGELICA as well; same cast of characters, same tone, completely different story!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I always enjoy seeing the authors write back on the reviews. Sometimes they are able to clarify their writing, and other times just a "thank you," but all the more, that is nice to see!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”