Official Review: If The Bed Falls In by Paul Casselle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: If The Bed Falls In by Paul Casselle

Post by Mune »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If The Bed Falls In" by Paul Casselle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pulling the reader between two realities, If the Bed Falls In was a gripping novel. Paul Casselle writes the story of a man living unhappily in one world and thriving in the cloak and dagger adventures of an agent in another. The book was fast paced, riveting, and well written. I found myself trying to decipher what I saw as clues, and then I would be surprised at the next turn of events. Where I feared predictability, there was none to be had. I really enjoyed this read.

If the Bed Falls In begins from the perspective of Tom, a middle aged photographer who has grown weary and depressed with his life. Tom has a beautiful female friend, who is nothing more than that, and a simplistic and often recluse life. Then Tom wakes up, but he isn’t Tom anymore. Now he is Joseph, an agent for the British Secret Agency, MI6. As Tom/Joseph is pulled back and forth between the two worlds, the facts start bleeding over and changing aspects of what he thinks is real. Is he a delusional, overweight, tired man being plagued by the damage from his cocaine addled depression years? Or was he Joseph, a man dealing with the remnants of a CIA compound that had been injected in him while he fought between the good and bad in a war of double agents and conspiracy theories? The line gets thinner and thinner until even the reader is perplexed at whose story they are reading.

This book was a gripping read. There weren’t any noticeable grammatical or spelling errors. The flow was steady and the balance was pretty well kept. There was a lingering section about three quarters of the way through that I was beginning to wonder why we hadn’t revisited the other reality in a while, or if the plot had been dropped for some reason. Thankfully, my fears were quickly removed as the author once again flipped the story. I enjoyed not being able to really see ahead in the story and not being able to guess what was going to happen at every turn. This kept me interested and glued to the pages.

If there was anything that some people may not care for, it would probably be the ending. As crazy and twisty-turny that the story is, the ending seems to add to the symmetry. The protagonist gives his own evaluation in a self-reflection in the second to the last chapter. With these inner thoughts of Tom/Joseph, the ending is still not crystal clear in explanation. That being said, I was happy with the ending. I thought about Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk with the way the story wrapped up, and was satisfied with the finishing chapter.

If you are a reader of Chuck Palahniuk or have seen the television show (currently on Netflix) called "Awake," you would really enjoy this book. The sway of the story, from one reality to another, was engaging. I like the differences and similarities in the two worlds the protagonist has to sort through. The book could come off as confusing to some, and it is rather dark and violent. Anyone that likes a good spy story combined with some psychological disturbances, this would be a great read to get into. I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating.

If The Bed Falls In
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mune's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
sullwyn39
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sullwyn39 »

This was a great review! That cover looks creepy! Another one to add to my TBR! And I have Awake in my list of tv shows to watch as well! There's so much to read and watch it's overwhelming - never know where to start!! Thanks for sharing!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book and Tom/Joseph seems like a very intriguing character. I hope I get a chance to read it. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Paul Casselle on such a well-written book.
casselle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by casselle »

Many thanks to the reviewer and for the subsequent comments. I'd love you all to read the book and hear your views.

I'm currently half way into the second in the series, so, get reading, book two will be out very soon!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, waking up to find out he isn't Tom anymore, but Joseph? Sounds intense! I love how gripping it sounds, and I actually like how you said the ending gives symmetry to the read. I'll have to check this out! Thank you sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds like a very interesting, thought-provoking book. I like stories where it keeps you guessing and unsure of what is really happening. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The concept of two realities sounds intriguing. And, it is fast paced, gripping, well written and keeps one guessing to boot! I will check it out, thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

The story seems to be full of twists and turns that would keep readers glued to it. I'm so intrigued about the protagonist. But with the inconclusive ending, I bet you couldn't wait to read the next book after reading this one. Thanks for the great review!
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

The problem of multiple personalities can be queer. The review is concise. I think the author did a sensational job with this thriller.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

A great review! Thank you for sharing! The cover for this one is so captivating, and the idea of the two realities is really thrilling!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

This sounds like a one that really keeps you thinking throughout...an edge of your seat thriller! You really can't beat $0.99 so I'm going to get it. Many people seem to enjoy the writing of Paul Casselle, so I'm also planning to check out his other books. Thank you for your review!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

A psychological spy thriller that blurs the lines of reality sounds great to me and only .99 I'm getting my copy. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This one sound quite interesting. I love the back and forth between the two worlds. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Abolaji009
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abolaji009 »

NICE ONE :D
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Sam is doubting his sanity. He seems to lead two lives.Is he schizophrenic? Are they real or is it just a hallucination?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”