Featured Review: The Complete Callaghan Tetralogy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dakimmel
Bookshelf Size: 31

Re: Featured Review: The Complete Callaghan Tetralogy

Post by dakimmel »

Sounds like really good stuff!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Not really my type of book, but it sounds like it is very well written and exciting!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Great review! Sounds like a book I would enjoy!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Post by kimekemar »

My sincere congratulations to the reviewer! When I checked a couple of minutes ago, your review of "The Callaghan Tetralogy" now has 9,485 views.

This is by far more than any other review in OBC's history in the "Crime, Thriller, Horror and Mystery" forum!

Well done – especially in such a short space of time!
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Wow! Amazing. I'm so honoured.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
ashnance
Currently Reading: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashnance.html

Post by ashnance »

Such a helpful review! This definitely sounds like a thriller. Congrats to the author for creating what sounds like a masterpiece!
kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Post by kimekemar »

Thanks a lot, ashnance!

Please note that the first book in this series will be Onlinebookclub's Book-of-the-Month in August with a special discount.

Also, you can watch the Book Trailer on YouTube by searching for "Callaghan Tetralogy".
tracey clark
Currently Reading: Stories in Green Ink
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by tracey clark »

excellent review
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Very nice review! Sometimes all it takes is a well written review to make me interested in the book! I'll be starting the first in the series soon!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Awesome review, stoppoppingtheP! Bought a copy of the first book today and already I have been sucked in. :) congrats to the author!
Carsh_Lohal
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carsh-lohal.html
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton

Post by Carsh_Lohal »

Ahh this sounds amazing! I hadn't picked up the Lost Identity Casualties since I knew it was part of a longer series and I wasn't certain that I wanted to delve into a series right now. You totally changed my mind though, an excellent review and so happy to hear that the books received a 4 star rating. My to read list is growing way to fast these days :)
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton
bookerang
Currently Reading: Roma, Underground
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by bookerang »

A great review! Congrats to the reviewer and author Kim Ekemar! I wouldn't be surprised if this series would be turned into a movie …
I’m amazed how this author has managed to tie together all story threads, both in a coherent way and with surprising twists. I haven’t read anything by him before, but I read the whole series (i.e. the four books) in ten days or so, unable to stop turning the pages. Although the main story is about a terrible loss of identity due to the indifference, cruelty and greed of others, I also found other real-world present-day themes included: the trafficking of vulnerable people, Internet scams, illegal immigration, syndicated crime activities and much more. But, most importantly, it’s a psychological portrait of someone who loses his face, his identity and his life. I think his reactions to his fate are very human ones (depression, anger, bitterness, calls for revenge), and he deals with his identity crisis in an intelligent (albeit sometimes morally reprehensible) way as he demands an eye for an eye, etc. (To avoid any spoiler, it will suffice here to mention that his personality changes considerably in the process, which is what makes his character so interesting.)
The second volume in this series is a continued intelligent web of intrigues, greed and deception. The protagonist, Matthias Callaghan, does get caught in this web, however, much thanks to his father’s previous, unknown activities. Scotland Yard face Callaghan over inconsistencies in his depositions, and he finds himself caught between a rock and a hard place. The return of his ex-wife doesn’t make it easier for him, and the Russian Mafia’s lawyer is set on attacking him over his lost fortune. All this forces the resourceful Callaghan to find solutions that are not always ethical.
In particular I like that background stories of all key characters have been included. They give an in-depth knowledge of the people that surround Callaghan and explain what makes them tick.
With its multiple storylines, the author continues to captivate the reader with this creative and well-written narrative that is a lot different from anything I’ve read before.
The web becomes still more entangled in the third book of “The Callaghan Tetralogy”. Matthias Callaghan, the highly intelligent protagonist, continues to fight for his existence and for a return to his previous privileged life. Anger and survival are strong motivators, and the continued challenges force out a nasty side of his otherwise generous personality.
In Vasily, the Russian Mafia boss, the author has created a fascinating character, not at all the usual stereotype but a sophisticated, educated person with interests in culture. As a matter of fact, the many characters (more than a hundred are listed in the overview that precedes the main text – a great feature!) are varied with great descriptions of their flaws and strengths like all humans have.
With all sorts of crooks and police forces chasing Callaghan, he improvises in his attempt to get away and reach Australia with his girlfriend, who he manages to keep in the dark while romancing her across the USA into Mexico. There the third book in the series ends in a nail-biting cliffhanger.
When you’ve come this far, there’s no other remedy than to immediately start the last book in the series to see where it all will end.
The conclusion of this riveting tetralogy is a thriller where the different law enforcements, the Russian Mafia, London gangsters and Mexican drug cartels simultaneously try to hunt down Callaghan. He escapes them for some time, but he doesn’t escape his fate of being a man forever doomed to stay in hiding. With Samantha, his girlfriend, he eventually comes up with a plan that could solve his problems, but it also means that he must confront many of those who have been chasing him.
I found the book impossible to put down. To the author’s credit, every single storyline came to a conclusion in a coherent way. And the end comes with yet another surprise, this one served by Samantha.
The last words on the last page say: “THE END (…?)”. Perhaps this is meant as a promise of a sequel in gestation? I sincerely hope so …
I recommend “The Callaghan Tetralogy” to all those who like an unusual, intelligent thriller that doesn’t follow some standard pattern and at the same time raises questions about what you, the reader, would do if faced with the same challenges.
twenty7

Post by twenty7 »

Nice review but the plot is anything but original
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Why would you say that?

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
twenty7

Post by twenty7 »

misidentification, former business partner, steals a large amount of money from the Russian Mafia, inflict torture on Callaghan and leave him to die, reconstructive surgeries, revenge etc

If I haven't seen Return to Eden 30 odd years ago and so many movies afterwards, the plot could be appealing. Actually, if I was 18 years old I would get interested

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”