Official Review: The One by B.A. Sherman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The One by B.A. Sherman

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The One" by B.A. Sherman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would it be like to become a different person, complete with their memories? Even scarier, what if you were trained to become a killer, only to forget your actions after the fact? B.A. Sherman’s The One explores these concepts and more. It is the second book in the Greg Dorn Suspense/Thriller series. Greg Dorn wakes up in a quasi-hospital setting. As he recovers physically and mentally, he realizes he is being held captive by General Smith and his team. At the same time, he is being transformed into a “killing machine” for General Smith’s business purposes. Greg is turned into a “new person” with generated memories each time a special drug, Ment-45, is administered. He harbors a strong will to return to his wife and daughter who he remembers clearly, but is it actually his family?

In this second installment, the author quickly brings the reader up to speed. The plot is very creative and includes interesting tie-ins with real-life serial killers and mass shootings. The story is very plot-driven; as such, there is just enough setting description and characterization, and nothing more. I admit I was a bit confused by Greg’s character, but I assume the author intended the ambiguity.

The story is told in alternating points of view. Greg’s passages are written in the first person and his wife Mica and General Smith’s perspectives are in the third person. Since Greg has a hazy memory, I found the switches effective as Mica’s passages fill in some of the blanks for the reader. Inexplicably, there is a switch to Mica in the first person in Chapters 7, 9, and 13. This was confusing as her perspective had initially been written in the third person.

There are several small, smart details that impressed me, such as the weapons Greg crafts in his room. The author is adept at using the essentials to move the plot forward. However, the writing style is fairly basic and flat. If the writing had been a little more sophisticated, it would have given the story more depth. There is also a tell vs. show style on display at times. The reader doesn’t need to be told “when my (Greg) training took over” and General Smith’s reminders to his team how valuable Greg is become repetitive throughout the story.

In the first two-thirds of the book, the plot is fast paced with a strong element of suspense. I do want to note that there are many graphic, violent scenes and routine use of foul language. Oddly, the pace slows down in the final third of the book, although the plot still continues on a direct path.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story kept my interest, but the climax left me hanging with some unresolved plot points. Since this installment is part of a series, I assume the next book will pick up where this one (no pun intended) ended. Fans of psychological thrillers will find much to enjoy here.

The One
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! I enjoyed reading your review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I enjoyed the book, but I would have preferred if it had been more of a standalone story. It's a little annoying that some of the plot points were unresolved at the end. I don't like to read a book and feel like I need to get the next installment to find out what happens.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Gali! I enjoyed the book, but I would have preferred if it had been more of a standalone story. It's a little annoying that some of the plot points were unresolved at the end. I don't like to read a book and feel like I need to get the next installment to find out what happens.
I also prefer standalone stories when possible.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Very thorough and well-written review. The premise sounds interesting but I am not sure I could stand the change in POV from first to third.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Bluemel! The incorrect switch from 3rd to 1st person was annoying, but it straightened out after a few shorts chapters.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds very interesting. I agree about repetitions, they can be annoying. Just like you, I prefer standalone so that I won't feel obligated to read the other parts of the series :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed the book and couldn't wait to find out how it ended. So...it was a letdown to be left hanging on a few points. Granted, some readers might like this approach and get excited to read the next series installment.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I prefer standalone novels as well....unless it is a series that I absolutely fall in love with. In that case, I always want more!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I prefer standalone novels as well....unless it is a series that I absolutely fall in love with. In that case, I always want more!
I agree with you. If it's a series that I love, I want to keep reading the books. However, the biggest frustration is when you finish an installment with loose ends and the next book isn't not pubished yet to read.
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

bookowlie wrote:
Rachaelamb1 wrote:I prefer standalone novels as well....unless it is a series that I absolutely fall in love with. In that case, I always want more!
I agree with you. If it's a series that I love, I want to keep reading the books. However, the biggest frustration is when you finish an installment with loose ends and the next book isn't not pubished yet to read.
I always get upset when that happens! Especially if I didn't know that I was starting a series or I start an older series and get caught up only to find the next book won't be out for another year!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I still enjoyed this book a lot and will probably read the next book in the series when it's published.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Although this story is very different from Memento (the movie), I recalled Memento immediately after I read the opening sentence of your review, bookowlie. Very interesting review.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

chytach18- wrote:Although this story is very different from Memento (the movie), I recalled Memento immediately after I read the opening sentence of your review, bookowlie. Very interesting review.
Thanks Chytach! I've heard of this movie, but have never seen it. I will have to check it out on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”