Official Review: In the Dark by J. Scott Matthews

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Official Review: In the Dark by J. Scott Matthews

Post by CrescentMoon »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Dark" by J. Scott Matthews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Dark by J. Scott Matthews is a mind-bending psychological thriller. The story starts with a man who wakes up lying on the floor in a dark bar. He doesn’t remember anything, his name, who he is, or what happened before waking up. He sees three dead bodies on the floor, two of which were shot and one who had his face caved in after being beaten relentlessly. He notices blood and viscera on his own hands and face. He is not sure if someone attacked him and left him for dead, or if he himself killed the dead men on the floor. He searches his pockets for clues to his identity but he cannot find a driver’s license or any other identifying information. He just has cash and a phone with two unlisted numbers saved in his contacts list. Scared that the cops would come and pinpoint the murders on him, he swipes the car keys from one of the dead bodies on the floor, takes the car and flees the scene.

As the man ponders his next steps, he receives a phone call from one of his contacts, a mysterious woman who calls herself Five. Five says it is dangerous to exchange names or other information over the phone, but she assures him, who she calls Nine, that they know each other. Five feeds information to Nine over the phone. Nine is not sure if he can trust this mysterious woman who he has no memory of ever meeting, but so far she is his only connection to the past.

There are two different timelines in this novel. One timeline occurs in the present in which Nine tries to find answers. This is extremely difficult given that he cannot recall his past and he suffers from debilitating hallucinations. Not only does he not remember anything, but he can’t even trust his own senses. The other timeline occurs in the past, in which a group of doctors perform an experimental operation on former soldiers. The soldiers were told that the operation would help cure their PTSD. Unfortunately the experiment goes horribly wrong and bad things start to happen. It is hard to further summarize this story without giving too much away. The story eventually comes full circle and you find out the events that lead to Nine waking up in the bar and the fallout.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the author’s writing style. The words and sentences flowed together so well and the detailed descriptions of certain events were so vivid and full of imagery that it was very easy to picture the scenes in my head. This novel could actually be a really great action flick and it definitely keeps you on your toes. This book was also extremely hard to put down. Each chapter ended on a cliffhanger that makes you want to tear your hair out wanting to know what happens next.

This book is a psychological thriller and it really messes with your mind sometimes. There are so many twists and turns and events that happen that leave you speechless. This was also cleverly written. There are certain nuances throughout the book that do not make sense at first but everything comes together at the end. I recommend this book to anybody who enjoys suspense and thriller. I also recommend this book to horror fans because there are a couple of scary, spine-chilling scenes. This was a very well-written, creative story and I really enjoyed reading it.

In the Dark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CrescentMoon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
jsm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jsm »

thank you for the great review CrescentMoon. glad you liked the book!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Great review!! This book sounds soooo good! Will be adding to my "must-read" list.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

jsm wrote:thank you for the great review CrescentMoon. glad you liked the book!
Absolutely! I had a great time reading it.
peprica21 wrote:Great review!! This book sounds soooo good! Will be adding to my "must-read" list.
Thank you for the kind words peprica21. I definitely think you'll enjoy this book.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

This sounds like a very intriguing book. I hope I get a chance to read it. Great job on the review. Congratulations to J. Scott Matthews for such a well-written book.
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:This sounds like a very intriguing book. I hope I get a chance to read it. Great job on the review. Congratulations to J. Scott Matthews for such a well-written book.
Thank you kimmyschemy06. This was a really great read. I highly recommend it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This sounds like a great read! I love how detailed you are. It gives me an idea of both the plot and the book's positives, while still wanting to learn more about the man and how it all ends! Wonderful review!

Congratulations to the author in receiving such a great review! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

hsimone wrote:This sounds like a great read! I love how detailed you are. It gives me an idea of both the plot and the book's positives, while still wanting to learn more about the man and how it all ends! Wonderful review!

Congratulations to the author in receiving such a great review! :)
Thanks for the kind words hsimone. It was a great read.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, detailed review. Glad you enjoyed the book! I don't like scary, spine-chilling scenes (I'm a scaredy cat!), but I do love a good psychological thriller.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

bookowlie wrote:Great, detailed review. Glad you enjoyed the book! I don't like scary, spine-chilling scenes (I'm a scaredy cat!), but I do love a good psychological thriller.
Thank you bookowlie! There were definitely some creepy and scary moments but they were few and far between. Thanks for the kind words :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! This sounds like a riveting story! Normally I don't like to read things that might scare me, but this storyline is very tempting!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Very nice review! This sounds like a riveting story! Normally I don't like to read things that might scare me, but this storyline is very tempting!
Thank you LivreAmour217. This story does have a few scary scenes that may not be for everyone but the suspense and mystery definitely takes center stage.
sullwyn39
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sullwyn39 »

ooooo :clap: this book sounds REALLY good! Definitely my kind of book! Great review!! :)
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

sullwyn39 wrote:ooooo :clap: this book sounds REALLY good! Definitely my kind of book! Great review!! :)
Thank you sullwyn39! This book was a great read, you'll love it :D
suzupuluzu
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by suzupuluzu »

What a great review! I am so excited to get into this book. It sounds mesmerizing. When I first started reading, it reminded me of the original Total Recall but with a darker twist. Thanks again... going on my list!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”