Official Review: Wizard by Lawrence D Berry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Official Review: Wizard by Lawrence D Berry

Post by kio »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wizard" by Lawrence D Berry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terrorism, magic, illusion, patriotism, and suspense are but a few of the themes in Lawrence D. Berry’s action/thriller Wizard: Dirty Secrets. The story takes place throughout different parts of the world. It came across as a “what if James Bond was also a magician” type of novel.

The book follows the story of Jonathan Barrow and his associates, Megan , Ollie, Alex, Randy, and Jason. As a group that works for M.A.G.I.C. (Military Assisted Global Intelligence Command), these magicians are not just illusionists on stage. As terrorist threats come up, they use their slight-of-hand skills to save the world.

The book starts out with some Plutonium-238 is stolen from the Russian government by a radical terrorist group known as the Rising Sun. With three detonation sites planned, their attack will use the Plutonium-238 to make 9/11 seem like a walk in the park. When M.A.G.I.C. gets word on the pending attack on U.S. soil, Jonathan and his friends get called in to put a stop the threat by any means necessary. Using movie magic, illusion, misdirection, and technology any spy agency would love to have, it’s up to them to prevent a national catastrophe on the eastern seaboard. With only a few days to stop the threat, stopping Rising Sun is a logistical nightmare. In addition to having to track three target locations, one of them is still unknown. Can Jonathan and his team stop the threat before it’s too late? What is the third target?

The plot starts and ends with action. In many ways, the book has a similar feel to Ocean’s 11 (in which you don’t really know what’s going on until the end). Each intricate detail plays into the end scenario and leaves the reader on the edge of their seat.

The good guy characters and the special effects they use are by far my favorite parts of the book. The characters are likable, quirky, and make the reader wish they knew Jonathan and his friends. The gadgets they use made me wish I had some of them. Also, the author’s background in stage magic shines through in this book. His staging of the special effects and magic scenes make it easy for the reader to believe that Jonathan and his friends have the skills they do. His mix of humor, intrigue, and action work well with the special effects and draw the reader into the story.

There were a few things, however, that I didn’t like about the book. The bad guys are pretty intriguing, but their names are a bit confusing to keep straight. The different points of view are also a little confusing. Instead of the traditional end of scene/chapter equals point of view change, the reader encounter times where one paragraph is in one of the good guy’s points of view, but then the next paragraph is in one of the bad guys’ points of view. Also, toward the end of the book, when the final action sequences are playing out, it is really hard to keep track of each target location's events and characters. There are also a few typos throughout the book, but they only occasionally distract from the book.

Overall, I’d give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book was hard to put down and I enjoyed reading it. The problems with the book mostly ironed themselves out and were minor setbacks to the story. I loved the characters and can’t wait to read the next Jonathan Barrow story. If you’re willing to be a little confused at what’s going on at times and love a good action/suspense thriller, then this is a must-read for you.

Wizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kio's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I am intrigued. From what you described, kio, the book looks more like a movie than a book. Very interesting review.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! This line is perfect - "a "what if James Bond was a magician" type of novel." Congrats to the author on receiving a positive review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

This sounds like a story I would enjoy. Your review made is sound very intriguing. I wish I get the chance to read it.
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

Great review and the book sounds adventurous :) congrats to you for a good read and to the author for the positive feedback :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kio, this is such a thorough review! It seems like an exciting story, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Congratulations to the both you and the author! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kio

Post by kio »

chytach18- wrote:I am intrigued. From what you described, kio, the book looks more like a movie than a book. Very interesting review.
Oh yeah, this would've made an awesome movie :)

-- 24 Jan 2016, 01:35 --
bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review! This line is perfect - "a "what if James Bond was a magician" type of novel." Congrats to the author on receiving a positive review.
Thanks @bookowlie :)

-- 24 Jan 2016, 01:36 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:This sounds like a story I would enjoy. Your review made is sound very intriguing. I wish I get the chance to read it.
I hope you do get a chance to read it @kimmyschemy06
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@kio magic and intrigue? Bond and Blaine :) what's not to love?! Great review, I think I may check it out sometime. Congrats to the author on hard work turning into something well received!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
kio

Post by kio »

thanks @Levi, I hope you get a chance to read it.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Sounds like a pretty good read. I think the POV issue could be fixed up with some dashed lines between changes. Another for the list... :D
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
kio

Post by kio »

I agree @anonanemone :) It's not like a major plot flaw :) Personally, I can't wait to read the sequel when it comes out :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”