Official Review: The Thundering by Megan Davidson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: The Thundering by Megan Davidson

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thundering" by Megan Davidson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Thundering is a psychological suspense novel by Megan Davidson. The story takes place in Portland, Oregon in 1961. Cathy Morgen is a psychologist who gets a late night call about an emergency admission. When she goes to the sanatorium, she meets Joseph, a teenage boy who behaves like a horse. He even kicks and bites when aggravated. At first, he only speaks in a few simple words or phrases. He does, however, show the ability to write and draw, which he uses to communicate more effectively. As time progresses, he reveals more about his frightful past, like living on a ranch where he talked to the horses and slept in the stable. As Cathy tries to help him, she also has to deal with struggles in her marriage and the prejudice that comes with being a female doctor in the 1960’s.

There is a prologue that takes place ten years prior in 1951, showing a glimpse of Joseph’s chaotic life “pre-horse.” His mother was sick and his father took him to stay on the ranch with an old friend named Sid. While there is a great amount of mystery in the novel, I was in no hurry to find everything out and simply enjoyed the ride. It didn’t feel like the book was purposely hiding information. Instead, it all naturally unfolded as Joseph came to terms with his past and the doctors, namely Cathy, tried to uncover new information about him. Plenty is divulged from the start, particularly with the prologue, so that the reader has a firm grasp on who these characters are and what their motivations are.

As soon as Cathy gets that initial phone call about Joseph’s case, her husband Dan is clearly upset. He wants her to quit. After twenty years of marriage, they’re not at all on the same page. Cathy also has a teenager of her own named Suzie. At first, I thought that more could have been done with her character. She acted like a regular teenage girl and didn’t seem to have a significant role. However, her role greatly expanded into something worthwhile. Her development, like pretty much all of the characters in this novel, was well done. Even the husband, who comes across as one-note most of the time, has realistic reasons for being so unsupportive of his wife's career. It is 1961, after all. Ultimately, there was a good balance of showcasing Cathy’s personal life to her professional life.

The multiple story threads complemented each other very well. I also liked the way that the book made use of the time period. There was plenty of commentary on disturbing psychological practices. An example is the use of hydrotherapy to calm patients down; Cathy mentally comments: “I’d be calm too if I was frozen near to death.” The doctors also have different ideas on how to handle Joseph’s unique situation: whether to make him realize that he’s human versus attempting to uncover why he became this way in the first place. Of course, there’s also gender commentary. Cathy is often referred to as “Mrs.” instead of as “Dr. Morgen.”

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a captivating novel with a great premise, solid writing, and fascinating characters. It was also well crafted in terms of both plot and character development. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in unusual psychology cases.

The Thundering
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@Tanaya Masterful review! This sounds very interesting, and I think you captured it perfectly. You gave a great deal of information, but never bored me by being overly intellectual. Congrats to the author!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderful review. This book sounds like it would be a perfect fit for me. I am adding it to my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

The book seems to be very interesting. Your review compliments it greatly. I added the book to my reading list.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

Wow, it seems like this book is one of a kind. Does it have a happy ending, of sort? It sounds really interesting, and I would like to add it to add it to my TBR list, but I'm just not in the mood for endings that might bring me down.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

From your review Tanya, I can tell that this book has it all. A sound plot, great and memorable characters, and horses! Well, horses scare me. But I enjoy reading about them, so... (^_-)
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks for all of the lovely comments. This book was certainly a gem.

@Topcho The ending isn't as depressing as the premise of the book might sound. I think you should give it a try!
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html

Post by Topcho »

Tanaya, I've just seen your answer. Thank you! With this I feel more reassured now and will indeed mark this title for further reading.
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

Amazing and professionally written! Psychologically Thrillers are my favorites! Adding it to my list!
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very intriguing story. The review got me curious as to why Joseph was acting like a horse. I hope I get the chance to read it. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”