Official Review: The Circle Now Is Made by Mac Fletcher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mac-Fletcher
Favorite Author: Robert Goddard
Currently Reading: black country
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4946

Re: Official Review: Cosy?The Circle Now Is Made: Mac Fletch

Post by Mac-Fletcher »

Mike, thanks for your comments on colloquialisms, and yes - even in the Uk "Pop" sometimes falls under the Coke umbrella. A bit like "Hoovering the carpet" or "using a Biro" pen, and in the US I believe "Faucet" for tap....along with a whole lot of cruder ones I won't go into.
Please though Mike, my book isn't cosy, either with an s or a z - at least it isn't intended to be, and neither I hope is the narrative. Try the sample on Kindle because the opening paragraphs should tell you a lot, and more importantly I never saw the word occur in Owlie's review.
Further to that, some of the dialogue is earthy to say the least - highly irreverent is a phrase I've heard, so try to put the C word to the back of your mind until you've read it. I think you'll find the first reference to cosy occurred in this thread as an assumption by someone who'd never read the book, so I'm begging you at this stage to dip in for one and a half bucks and read it. :D I'll be immensely complimented if you do - and of course if you think it's cosy after reading it, I'll bow to your decision. LOL. :D
Happy reading whatever you do Mike, and thanks for adding to the thread.
Many thanks, Mac Fletcher
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks. Calling soda Coke no matter what the brand....that's a cool regional example!

I would not really classify this book as a cozy mystery. It's just a good story with an intersting, flawed protganist.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mac-Fletcher

Post by Mac-Fletcher »

Me again, not sure if I should use the thread for this, but I've looked everywhere else. Can I use my reviews on Amazon and/or Goodreads etc, and is there a way of linking them? Also, I can see no way of adding my pic (though that in itself is no problem for other users I'm sure) Gulps!

Mac Fletcher
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

Owlie & Mac, my mistake, apparently I read that wrong. Thanks for correcting me on that. Just as well as I'm not much of a cozy fan so that only adds points in favor of the book for me.

As far as adding a picture, go to the Homepage and scroll all the way down, on the right is a box that says "site navigation" with options to choose from. Pick Log in/Sign up/ Manage account and that will get you where you need to go. Don't feel lonesome, I've only been here a couple days and I'm not quite used to the site yet either.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Mac-Fletcher wrote:Me again, not sure if I should use the thread for this, but I've looked everywhere else. Can I use my reviews on Amazon and/or Goodreads etc, and is there a way of linking them? Also, I can see no way of adding my pic (though that in itself is no problem for other users I'm sure) Gulps!

Mac Fletcher
I would contact Scott about what's allowing for Amazon and/or Goodreads reviews. I am not sure if you want to post Amazon/Goodreads reviews here or post my review there. The OBC official reviews are exclusive to our site and cannot be posted elsewhere, unless Scott gives permission. You might be allowed to post a link to my review here, but you should check with Scott before doing so.

There is normally a link to the Amazon book page at the end of the OBC review, which also contains the Amazon reviews. I just noticed that the Amazon link isn't there for my review. I just contacted one of the moderators to add the Amazon link.

-- 21 Nov 2015, 15:12 --
Mike_Lang wrote:Owlie & Mac, my mistake, apparently I read that wrong. Thanks for correcting me on that. Just as well as I'm not much of a cozy fan so that only adds points in favor of the book for me.

As far as adding a picture, go to the Homepage and scroll all the way down, on the right is a box that says "site navigation" with options to choose from. Pick Log in/Sign up/ Manage account and that will get you where you need to go. Don't feel lonesome, I've only been here a couple days and I'm not quite used to the site yet either.
I agree that the cozy connotation doesn't really apply here.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
Mac-Fletcher wrote:Me again, not sure if I should use the thread for this, but I've looked everywhere else. Can I use my reviews on Amazon and/or Goodreads etc, and is there a way of linking them? Also, I can see no way of adding my pic (though that in itself is no problem for other users I'm sure) Gulps!

Mac Fletcher
I would contact Scott about what's allowing for Amazon and/or Goodreads reviews. I am not sure if you want to post Amazon/Goodreads reviews here or post my review there. The OBC official reviews are exclusive to our site and cannot be posted elsewhere, unless Scott gives permission. You might be allowed to post a link to my review here, but you should check with Scott before doing so.

There is normally a link to the Amazon book page at the end of the OBC review, which also contains the Amazon reviews. I just noticed that the Amazon link isn't there for my review. I just contacted one of the moderators to add the Amazon link.

:text-yeahthat:

Also, Putting Amazon/Goodreads reviews here isn't allowed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Gali, thanks for the clarification. I think readers can just go to Goodreads or Amazon if they are interested in reading more reviews.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Great review! Having read a book by this author before, I'm not at all surprised to see this one earn 4 stars. Congrats!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Tanaya! The author has a nice writing style. I am sure his other books are also wonderful.
Mac-Fletcher

Post by Mac-Fletcher »

Hi Tanaya,

Thanks for your kind remarks ....by proxy. I know direct contact with reviewers or "other book" plugs are taboo, so I look on this thread as another opportunity to convey my gratitude. I'm very impressed with the interest shown by Online Book Club's reviewers, and hope I haven't challenged protocol in any way.

Mac Fletcher
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

It's always a ringing endorsement when you receive high ratings from more than one reviewer.

-- 25 Nov 2015, 09:41 --

I wonder....was the setting inspired by a place you've lived in or visited? The village setting really came alive in the story.
j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by j p gilbert »

I enjoy english authors, they tell their stories with a stiff upper lip. sounds like an enjoyable read.
Some say our future is written, mine must be in invisible ink.
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
Mac-Fletcher

Post by Mac-Fletcher »

:lol: Hi again Owlie, Tanaya, Glen and everyone who has contributed thus far.

Owlie, I'm glad you asked the question about the surroundings; it's given me chance to explain in a little more depth how the book came to be. I hope you don't mind, and I'll try not to bore you - though I suspect you'll tell me if I do :lol:
Firstly, all the geographical areas are based on real ones, and many of the characters and some events even, are similarly based in fact, They just never all (to my knowledge) occurred in one person’s life - but for me that's what writing is all about.

Firstly, much of the escapist in Greg exists in me, the obvious difference being that I just write about his experiences rather doing regular "geopraphicals." For all his imperfections Greg is far more active and adventurous than me!
During the seventies my wife and I owned a tourer van (trailer you'd say I think) and visited all the areas discussed regularly - some of which aren't so very far from our home. For all that Britain is a "tight little island" (Bob Hope I think) one never needs travel far to find these exciting microcosms.
We spent a lot of time in Bromyard which, if you ever get chance to visit, has all the beauty and "rural English folksy" feel I try to convey in the book....and there are still derelict farm buildings and Oast-Houses in the area!
During that period we also spent a lot of time in Cornwall, which is almost legendary in its association with "contraband and intrigue," largely thanks to writers like my hero Daphne du Maurier. I set my sights high in trying to emulate her talent for mystery and intrigue, but remain realistic enough to know my limitations.
The actual bay and the chalet-type café are, to the best of my knowledge, still in existence. Not exactly as described but not a million miles away either and - best of all - the smuggling really happened – with some less believable facets than those in the story. :o
If you put a search in for Talland Bay or Polperro you’ll turn up spine-tingling references to contraband being smuggled in coffins, a preacher profiting from the traffic, and a dead man steering the horse-drawn hearse to its hiding place in the local church - after being shot by customs' men! Furthermore, until as recently as 1979, immense amounts of cannabis were being landed in the area, stashed beneath the café counter, and transported in a gold-plated Rolls-Royce to their destination. Less believably – for me – is that when I originally drafted the book in 1986, I had no idea how accurate my guesswork was regarding the logistics of the operation. There was no Google then to indicate the origin of the drugs and method of landing the haul from an old fishing boat, so I was surprised to learn of the similarities.
Lastly, and I promise I’ll finish now, the song that the story revolves around (and its title which was taken from the song) were written by a man who I shared a bench with in my first job in engineering. He went on to become a well-know singer-songwriter and local DJ, as well as author of a fascinating biography of another local singer-songwriter, Clifford T Ward. Ward’s life was cut tragically short, but his talent was almost unsurpassable. Sadly, Dave died in August this year, and the book is now dedicated to him as a very humble tribute to his inspiration.

PS: In line with requirements I have not named the books mentioned, but I do hope my notes can be posted on the site…. and it will only cost you one English pound or one and a half bucks to find out whether the book has roots or not. LOL :D

Mac Fletcher
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

JP Gilbert - Yes, the book is a very enjoyable read. It's not "stiff upper lip" storytelling - just a great story.

Mac Fletcher - I loved reading the extra background info...it wasn't too long at all! It's always interesting to discover more about the inspiration behind the books.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Great opening line, Owlie!! Sounds like the life for me, traveling with my dogs and drinking beer ha ha. The ex-wife part I can do without though! Anyway, this sounds like an interesting read, and I always appreciate an engaged and informative author, so I believe I will add this to my list. Great job, Owlie!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”