Crimson Shore by Preston and Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Crimson Shore by Preston and Child

Post by Birdlady1950 »

FBI Agent A.X.L. Pendergast is back in action; his classic ultra expensive black suit, austere expression, white skin and lighter than light hair, expensive taste, and genteel manners; do not mistake him for a sissy, to do so would be a mistake of enormous portions. If you have never read the Pendergast series you have missed an extreme treat. This book can be read as a stand-alone, however you will receive more enjoyment by starting at the beginning of the series. I have never been disappointed in Child and Preston’s Pendergast series and this book is no exception. Preston and Child crafted a seasoned agent with instincts and brain that are superior to the normal human and place him in situations to use his skills. I would compare him to Colombo, of the 1970’s television show, times 10 without the awkwardness and un-sophistication. Pendergast like Colombo’s brain operates differently than the rest of the world.

Pendergast takes a wine theft case in the small Massachusetts town of Exmouth when he discovers the owner Percival Lake also a semi-famous sculptor, has a case of a wine thought to be extinct. All is not what it seems as Pendergast, along with his protege Constance Green, begins his investigation in his own unique style. A hidden room, chains, an old human bone, ah murder is afoot. A historian is murdered in the marshes and he is not the last murdered there, what was the historian hoping to find, a ship is lost in 1884 off Exmouth, what is Percival Lake’s part in all this, and witches reportedly left Salem for Exmouth during the Salem Witch Trials; lots of twists and turns for Lincoln and Child to bring together. We have come to expect the unexpected from Childs and Preston as Pendergast investigates monsters, monsters of the worst kind and you can be assured that monsters are residing in the small town of Exmouth, Massachusetts.

Get ready for a thrill ride, as Preston and Child never fail to meet expectations. The action never lets up as the twists and turns of the investigation are meshed to create a cohesive tale of evil, extreme evil. As usual the ending is explosive, and leaves us knowing another tale will be in works.

I highly recommend this book.

I received this book from the Publisher and Netgalley in return for an honest review.
clbarkhurst2016
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clbarkhurst2016.html

Post by clbarkhurst2016 »

I enjoyed your review, it didn't give away too much information. I thoroughly enjoy this series and the authors. I have read every book in the series and every one co-authored by these two.

Comparing Penergast to Columbo is priceless. They are both of their own world and comparably determined in their search for the truth. A curious turn in this book is the amount of involvement of the mysterious Constance Green, who I'm surprised hasn't spawned a series of her own. As with all their books I am left anxiously awaiting their next installment!
Birdlady1950

Post by Birdlady1950 »

I am also waiting impatiently for the next one. I thought at one time maybe Constance and Pendergast would be the thing, but now I think not.
ShepherdDon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shepherddon.html

Post by ShepherdDon »

Haven't read the Pendergast series but you make it look like I should do so.

Don
Birdlady1950

Post by Birdlady1950 »

It is a great series. I loved it from the first book and could not devour them fast enough. That was back when I had to buy used or half price books, as Ereaders were not a big thing yet. I brought them for 1.00 each or so each plus 2-3.00 in shipping. I still have them packed away somewhere. I am even willing to pay a fortune for an ebook of the pendergast series, and I am a cheap skate.

It is a series that never disappointed me.

I really would start at the beginning and work forward, but you do not have to. I have also read Child and Preston's individual books and they are also very good. They just don't write quickly enough :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”