Official Review: Barracuda by Lee Stone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Barracuda by Lee Stone

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barracuda" by Lee Stone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barracuda by Lee Stone is a fast-paced sequel to the popular novel, Free Fish Friday. This second book continues the adventures of the quirky yet smart fisherman, Slacker Mills. It is a blend of mystery, intrigue and some romance thrown into the mix.

Slacker Mills has become a piece of local flavor in Key West, Florida. After living a nomadic lifestyle for many years, he has finally settled down into a more permanent life as a charter fisherman in a Florida paradise. Slacker has made new, interesting friends and had some romantic trysts in the few years he has been in Key West. He is now trying to put a tragic event behind him and move on to a more promising future. However, he doesn't escape the small town quickly enough. Another tragedy hits again and Slacker is caught in the middle. He feels responsible for the things taking place around him and is determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. With the help of his closest friends, and a couple of new characters, Slacker uses his keen mind to help solve this case.

The author, Lee Stone, was born in Pennsylvania, lived in Alaska for over thirty years and now makes his home in Delray Beach, Florida. He is a new author with the two Slacker Mills mystery novels being his first books. His first novel, Free Fish Friday, was voted the Book of the Month for October, 2015, by the Online Book Club. Lee Stone is also known in Florida for his sand creations.

I enjoyed reading the first book by Mr. Stone, so decided to give this one a try. I think this one surpassed the first book! I was captured at the beginning and pulled along for a thrilling ride. The author used the same witty, detailed writing technique, but showed more depth with the character development and a couple of twists in this sequel.

The characters are interesting and memorable. A few new people are introduced in this story. While reading the first novel, I didn't really think I would like Slacker, but he has turned out to be a real, down-to-earth hero. He has both good and bad qualities that blend together to make him the person that he has become.

Mr. Stone has excellent writing skills. He is descriptive in his settings and knowledgeable about Florida and the local fish. He even brings the sport of fishing to life. He pays attention to detail but without any wasted words. There were some typos and a few grammatical mistakes, but they didn't detract from the story.

Based on the reasons above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone that enjoys mystery and action novels would enjoy this book. I look forward to reading about Slacker's adventures in Costa Rica.

Barracuda
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Book sounds promising! I haven't read the first one yet though, does the book read well on its own or should it be read in order?
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Momlovesbooks

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Read it in order. You'll get more out of both books that way.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I haven't started reading the first yet but I look forward to reading both! Very nice review! :)
Momlovesbooks

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Thank you! They are both very good books.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

That's good! I have a few books lined up already but these ones are in line!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! I've already read about 8 chapters so far and am loving it. Although I read Free Fish Friday before starting this book, this installment seems like it could easily read as a standalone.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved the first book (and wrote a review about it) and will read this one in due time. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the nice review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
birdy80
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by birdy80 »

Great review. I loved Free Fish Friday and it's sequel as well. He has a new book out on Amazon. I just bought it, and I'm excited to read his new novel.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”