Official Review: Paradise Found

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Paradise Found

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paradise Found" by Anipe Steeven K V Premajyothi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paradise Found by Anipe Steeven K. V. Premajyothi is ostensibly an attempt to establish the original location of the Garden of Eden on a modern map. Eden, for those who are not familiar with the Christian story of origins, was allegedly the place where the first humans (Adam and Eve) lived and interacted with God for a time after the creation of the world (for Biblical reference, see Genesis 2). Eventually, the story reports that a serpent, usually assumed to be Satan, persuaded Eve (who persuaded Adam) to disobey God’s instructions, which then led to the two of them being thrown out of Eden and cursed with struggle, pain, and death. Eden was closed to Adam and Eve and guarded by an angel in order to prevent anyone from reaching the tree of life inside (Genesis 3).

It’s understandable that Eden is a fascinating topic. Eden was supposed to be paradise on earth; it was a place without evil, frustration, pain, hardship, or death. If Eden could be found today, what answers or mysteries would be hidden there? Mr. Premajyothi claims to have discovered Eden’s location, and while he shows some evidence of research and reasoning to this end, he also claims in the introduction to his book that Paradise Found is based on a special revelation from God to himself. Mr. Premajyothi therefore feels compelled to share this knowledge with the world in hopes that it will inspire others and help bring them closer to Christianity.

Undeniably, Paradise Found is a very passionate book. It is sprinkled with exclamatory statements about the majesty and goodness of God. It is enthusiastic, and the reader can easily divine the sincerity of the author. However, the quality of the research and the manner of its communication to the reader allows something to be desired.

When I am reading a paper in support of a thesis (namely, that the Garden of Eden is located [here]), I expect support for that thesis to follow some kind of recognizable order. There should be distinct arguments or perhaps a trail of clues leading to a discovery. Instead, Paradise Found gave me many arguments thrown together a bit haphazardly, as if the writer was trying to say everything at once without planning the presentation beforehand. Some of these arguments may have been legitimate, but in order to make sense of them, I needed to go back and re-read the book, taking notes to recall what was said where, with what support. That’s a lot of effort to ask of a reader.

Another difficulty comes from this claim of divine revelation. Several times in the book, the author declares something “known”. Logic is based on the idea that premises lead to conclusions. However, if a premise is rejected, the conclusion may change. If the author declares something “known”, and the reader can’t find adequate reason to share the assumption, the reader may also reject the conclusion. It would be better if Mr. Premajyothi consistently supported his premises with some kind of evidence. In that case, readers would be more likely to accept and maybe even share his conclusions. For the most part, whenever his reasoning came from the Biblical text, Mr. Premajyothi was very conscientious about offering references to show the origins of his claims. This is an excellent start, but thoroughness is very necessary in this genre, and unsupported statements can do enormous damage to credibility.

By the time I finished reading the book, I decided that, regardless of the description offered when I accepted the task of reading and reviewing, Paradise Found was more a statement of faith than a presentation of research and discovery. The Christian faith hinges on this promise of restoring Edenic paradise. The idea is that Jesus Christ offers the opportunity to re-enter Eden, figuratively speaking. Through the forgiveness of sins and faith, Christians are promised that after death or the end of the world, they will live again in an evil-free, pain-free, struggle-free environment where they will be able to interact with God as Adam and Eve once did. I concluded that although Paradise Found does make a claim on the location of Eden, the author’s real purpose was to show why losing Eden and finding it again has been important in his life and might be important to others as well. That was the part that made the book make sense to me and made it worth reading. So, because Paradise Found seems to be a book about a man’s faith masquerading as a somewhat-ineffective presentation of research, I am rating it 2 out of 4 stars. The research angle needs some serious work, especially in organization, but the book still has a message that becomes very clear by the end. As it stands, I would hope that the author looks into re-editing the book in order to help it live up to this secret potential. Then it could become recommendable.

Paradise Found
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@L_Therese Good job on the review, I'm sure this was a hard one to tackle. It sounds like you were very balanced and patient in reading and then giving a thorough presentation. I hope the author benefits greatly from your observations.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Really well-written and thought provoking review. I think it is interesting that the author placed this book in the crime, mystery, thriller, horror category and not in non-fiction.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
hromig
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hromig.html

Post by hromig »

Great review! I will have to check it out.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review! The subject matter looks very interesting. I agree with Bluemel - I am confused about the placement of the book in the Mystery genre rather than non-fiction.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The part about 'divine revelation' caught my attention and I started to expect much, but it seems like it isn't what I expected it to be. Great review!
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I reported the genre error on Bookshelves. Hopefully one of the moderators there will change the genre soon so that it is accurate.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”