Official Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murd...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murd...

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders" by Brian E. Forschner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

True crime books have always been a popular genre, but this particular story is unique in that it was inspired by the author’s genealogy. Brian Forschner’s Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders takes an in-depth look at the Dayton, Ohio murders of several women in the early 1900’s. The author became interested in these crimes after he discovered a personal connection to one of the victims while researching his family tree; Mary Forschner was his grandfather’s sister.

Ada Lantz, Dona Gilman, Anna Markowitz, Elizabeth Fulhart, and the author’s great-aunt were murdered over a 9-year period. Ada went missing during an evening party at her home and was found dead that night in the septic tank of the outhouse on the property. A coroner’s examination reveals that she was raped and strangled. The Dayton Police Department is quickly beset by criticism from the public and media for failing to solve the crime. Four more murders occur within the decade in the same downtown area of the city, with the same modus operandi. Fears run rampant and pressure mounts for law enforcement to solve the crimes. A man is tried and convicted of the Markowitz murder, but there is lingering doubt among the Dayton police that he did it. Eventually, the unknown assailant becomes known as Jack the Strangler due to similarities to the Jack the Ripper murders in London.

I enjoyed reading this well-written book. I felt like I was transported to Dayton in the early 1900’s with a detailed picture of the social and political climate. It’s clear that the author meticulously researched the cases, including the actions of the police, coroner, other local officials, and media. The local newspaper reporters actively covered the story and presented their own theories. It’s interesting that it took several years for the newspapers to report that the murders were probably committed by the same person.

The author vividly describes the socio-economic conditions when discussing the victims’ backgrounds. It was commonplace for teenage girls to work full-time to contribute to the family income. This often put these young women in a position where they were walking home alone from the train station on dark streets.

The crimes are recreated based on interviews, witnesses, and sparse evidence. The author presents an interesting backstory for each of the victims, including photos. Forensic techniques were unheard of at the time. Much of the investigative work was conducted intuitively rather than scientifically. It’s mind-boggling to read about the ineptitude of law enforcement and the coroner’s office. Suspects, including family members, were often arrested based on pretty much nothing other than the police or coroner’s feelings.

Each murder and ensuing investigation is showcased in its own long chapter. I found the individual cases compelling, but there is a somewhat disjointed feel when one chapter would end and another victim’s story would begin. I believe this was partially due to the long chapters and detailed backstories of each victim. The way the book is formatted with an unusually long chapter for each case made for a slow experience for this normally fast reader. Still, I was blown away by the climax. Without giving spoilers, all I will say is the ending was shocking and thought-provoking.

I rate this story 3 out of 4 stars. The author should be commended for his detailed research and ability to turn the wealth of information into a fascinating book. Fans of true crime and mystery books would find this an absorbing read. The book made me appreciate the things we take for granted in criminal investigations, such as advanced forensics and the use of computers. Our current criminal justice system has problems, but it is certainly preferable to what people dealt with at the turn of the 20th century.

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review as always, but the subject matter isn't my cup of tea. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
erasmus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Wow, this sounds like a really fascinating book. Brilliant review, and kudos for making it sound so convincing!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! The inspiration for this novel is fascinating. I love it when the research used to create a novel is successfully integrated into the story.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Gali - Thanks! I usually like true crime books. In this case, the story emphasized all the missteps that delayed catching the killer and resulted in more murders over a decade. I prefer books in this genre that focus on how the police catch a killer through good, methodical investigation. Still, it was an interesting story.

-- 26 Sep 2015, 09:31 --

Thanks Erasmus! The book was fascinating, although it was like watching a trainwreck at times. I wanted to yell at the cops, coroner, even the women for walking alone at night.

Thanks Bluemel4. I loved that the author researched these murders after finding out that his great-aunt was one of the victims. His grandfather never told him when he was alive. I imagine his grandfather was traumatized by the murder.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I was going to review this book but hesitated when I realized it wasn't fictional, just because that was what I was in the mood for at the time. Regardless, it sounds like a compelling book. Fantastic review as always!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Tanaya!

Just a heads up. There is a Giveaway for this book on Goodreads that ends on October 5.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Ooh good to know. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Brian +++
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 43356">The Liberation Trilogy</a>
Currently Reading: My fathers keep
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Brian +++ »

My goal in writing this book was to tell the stories of these girls, to offer some sense of justice, as they were quickly forgotten. It is thrilling to see that their stories are now being discussed on a medium they could never have conceived.
gran1990
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gran1990.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by gran1990 »

Great review. I enjoy true crime as well as fiction mystery. Because of your great review I will be adding this book to my shelf.

-- 26 Sep 2015, 14:33 --

Great review. I enjoy true crime as well as fiction mystery. Because of your great review I will be adding this book to my shelf.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Brian +++ wrote:My goal in writing this book was to tell the stories of these girls, to offer some sense of justice, as they were quickly forgotten. It is thrilling to see that their stories are now being discussed on a medium they could never have conceived.
I think your grandfather would have been proud that you wrote this book, as a form of justice for his sister's story to be told.

-- 26 Sep 2015, 16:59 --
gran1990 wrote:Great review. I enjoy true crime as well as fiction mystery. Because of your great review I will be adding this book to my shelf.

-- 26 Sep 2015, 14:33 --

Thanks. I think you would enjoy this book.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

It's always great when research pays off! Sounds like this author does a nice job! Love the review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Jesska! It was apparent that the book was carefully researched.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Bookowlie, I absolutely enjoyed reading this review. This book sounds fascinating and intriguing and I almost want to get it right now. I've never read a true crime novel before and I've always wondered, is it written like fiction?
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Leon Durham wrote:Bookowlie, I absolutely enjoyed reading this review. This book sounds fascinating and intriguing and I almost want to get it right now. I've never read a true crime novel before and I've always wondered, is it written like fiction?
Thanks Leon! I have read a lot of true crime books over the years. This particular story was written more like mystery fiction where you read the details of each crime "as it happened" and the aftermath, and finally the mystery is wrapped up at the end. Other true crime books I've read are often written where you already know who the killer is, and you get to know the motivations, backstory of the killer, etc.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”