Official Review: Armageddon's Arc by Victor Baptiste

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Armageddon's Arc by Victor Baptiste

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Armageddon's Arc" by Victor Baptiste.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Armageddon’s Arc is Victor Baptiste’s first book. This is a crime/thriller novella full of twists and turns and keeps the reader interested the entire time. The story is short, only sixty seven pages, but it worked great. I was not left asking questions that should have been answered in the story, and the author gave enough information about the characters, making it easy to connect with them.

Armageddon’s Arc is about a Priest who kills himself so he can go to Hell. The beginning of the story was gruesomely descriptive, but I found that it set the story up to keep the reader wanting to know more, wanting to know why. He wants to go to Hell to offer the Damned a gift. One that is hard to refuse. A way to postpone Judgement Day. But the Priest isn’t who he says he is, his gift isn’t what it seems and soon everybody Damned and alive is reeling with the implications.

The plot while unorthodox and unusual was interesting, and I liked the twist and turns one wouldn’t expect. The twists and turns kept the reader engaged and interested to read more. With that being said, the beginning was confusing for me. I had to keep analyzing what I read to make sure I understood it correctly. As the story progressed the confusion decreased, and it became easier to understand.

The characters were interesting, from Killian the Priest, to the demon he has most of his dialogue with. With most books we see the characters through the narrative but not the dialogue. In this story we get to know the characters through their dialogue with one another. I found it interesting to learn their personalities through dialogue alone. Personally, I believe it worked for this particular story and the way it was written. We learned enough about their personalities to let our imagination run wild.

As mentioned before this story is mostly dialogue. The plot unfolds through a discussion between Killian and the demon. Like some people I don’t care for a lot of dialogue. I prefer descriptions that come with narration. Through the dialogue, I could picture what I was reading as if watching a movie about two people have a troubling conversation. For me that made the story unique. But, I do think the lack of narration detracted from the story. On the flip side it worked in the story's favor since it was a novella.

Either you will love this book or you won't. Or you can be like me and be stuck on the fence between the pros and cons of the book. Personally I would rate Armageddon’s Arc written by Victor Baptiste a 3 out of 4 stars. I would read any future books this author comes out. I think there is room for improvement, something we may see with future books. If you are looking for a quick, unique book to pass the time then this is a book I recommend.

Armageddon's Arc
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Victor Baptiste
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victor Baptiste »

TrishaAnn,

Thank you for such a detailed and considered review. I'm glad you liked the story and found it interesting.

If someone "stuck on the fence" (between the pros and cons of the book) rates it three out of 4 stars, then I'm happy with that too.

Could you be more specific as to the reason for your confusion at the beginning? Did it arise from the text, or was it surprise at what was unfolding?
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

What I found confusing was mostly how the plot unfolded. I found myself having to go back and reread to make sure I was reading it right. When Killian was presenting his gift and then all of a sudden the gift was not a gift and it was a trick, it just got confusing to me because there was a lot going on.

I am glad you liked my review :)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Hmm...definitely sounds interesting. I like your description of dialogue v. narration. I am a sucker for good dialogue, and it can be tricky to strike the right balance between the two. Great review!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you! :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review. I also like a mix of description and dialogue, rather than a book that is too dialogue-heavy.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thanks bookowlie :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I liked reading your review, TrishaAnn92! It definitely seems like an interesting concept. I'm not sure if this a read for me, but I think you portrayed the book very well!

Nice job on the review, and congratulations to the author for getting such a good book review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds really interesting. I, personally, prefer building up the character through dialogue instead of long narrative. I think I'm going to like this book. Great review!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you guys. :D
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Completely agree with your point about the dialogues. Thank you for the honest and insightful review!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you for your feedback! :D
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I lol'ed when I read the first two sentences of the last paragraph.
Very good review!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Seems like a really great book but i don't think it's the type i like.
Thanks for sharing another great review with us and congratulations to the author for getting such a good review. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

lane_vespertine wrote:I lol'ed when I read the first two sentences of the last paragraph.
Very good review!
I am glad it made you laugh. :lol:

wasif_ahmed wrote:Seems like a really great book but i don't think it's the type i like.
Thanks for sharing another great review with us and congratulations to the author for getting such a good review. :)
Thank you wasif_ahmed! It is definitely not a book that is for everybody.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”