Review: I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_Fuh
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-fuh.html

Review: I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Post by J_Fuh »

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells features a 15-year-old boy named John Wayne Cleaver who has an unusual fascination with serial killers. John helps out with his mother's family run business at the morgue, so he's well acquainted with dead bodies and rather sometimes prefers them than to living ones. He struggles with controlling himself, fearing he will turn into a serial killer himself. His control is put to test more than ever when a string of murders occur in his hometown.
Overall, this book was a good read. It portrayed John Cleaver's self-struggle very vividly and slowly revealed more of his character as I read more. I love reading about psychopaths or sociopaths, especially when its in their perspective, so this book really pushed some of my buttons.
But then, somewhere in the middle, another thing came up and really just changed the genre of the book. I won't say what, but when and if you read it, you'll know exactly what moment and what I mean. After that happened, the focus on Cleaver's issues became secondary and the main conflict wasn't with himself anymore, contrary to what the author made it seem all the way until midway into the book.
Even if the book wasn't what I expected and wanted, the story itself was still interesting and Dan Wells did still portray Cleaver's self-conflict until the end, so I rate this book 3 out of 4. A good read, and I definitely recommend it.
Although I worry for Dan Wells, I think he's too well acquainted with a mind of a potential serial killer. ;)
MFleisher
Currently Reading: Walden
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mfleisher.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MFleisher »

I know you posted this in 2015, but I wanted to comment anyway. Based on the description of the book, I was not expecting the genre change in the middle of the book. I was looking for just a simple murder mystery and this book was anything but. I was hooked, albeit a little disappointed in the twist.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

That title alone caught my attention.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

klbradley wrote:That title alone caught my attention.
I agree with you. That is indeed an interesting title of a book. It's a shame you didn't enjoy the book because of that. I haven't read the book, so I have no idea what that is, but I really hope to check it out soon. Great review.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”