Official Review: Through A Glass Darkly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Through A Glass Darkly

Post by lmmallia »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through A Glass Darkly" by Donald Allen Kirch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through a Glass Darkly, written by Donald Allen Kirch, is a ghost/horror story.

Johnathon Holzer is a well-known parapsychologist who is given the opportunity to investigate an infamous haunted house in Kansas reputed to be haunted by a ghost known both as ‘The Shape’ or ‘The Ghost Bride of Manchester. Over the years, multiple deaths and mysterious disappearances have been linked to the house including the disappearance of an entire regiment of Civil War soldiers never to be seen again.

A local police detective is fed up with the murders and deaths attributed to this house and reaches out to Johnathon for help. Johnathon assembles a team to investigate the strange occurrences at the house. His team, known as S.O.U.R.C.E, wants to prove the house is haunted and make contact with the ghost if possible. To their horror, they discover the house is in fact haunted and there is an evil presence more sinister and deadly than The Shape lurking in the Manchester House.

The theme of the book is a common one for horror stories. There is a house haunted by a spirit taking its vengeance out on anyone foolish enough to buy the house. The characters making up Holzer’s research team also follow the typical cliches associated with book or movies of this genre. Besides Johnathon, there is a powerful psychic, a skeptic cameraman, a beautiful but smart archaeologist and a mysterious lone ranger type who draws heavily on religious influence. However, the author redeems himself by creating a high level of suspense from the very beginning and is able to maintain the tension throughout the entire novel without leaving the characters barely a pause to come up for air.

Although I felt the characters were a bit generic, enough detail was included to flesh them out and give the reader a sense of who they were. The book reads like a movie which makes it easy to visualize the characters and the situations they encounter. The 3rd person narrative is used which allows for the story to jump back and forth smoothly between present day and flashbacks that fill in the backstory of the house. At times, the author was able to vividly bring forth a scene in my mind. One example of this is:
The man looked like a living abortion spewed forth from the earth.
Some readers may find that statement distasteful but it definitely brings a very dramatic image to mind.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Donald Allen Kirch was able to keep me interested and wondering what would happen next throughout the entire novel. At times, the novel was creepy and made me uneasy which rarely happens because I love horror stories and read them frequently. I will never look at a plastic tarp hanging in a house quite the same way again after reading this book. You will have to read the book to find out what I mean by that. I have only a few criticisms. I felt slightly underwhelmed when the driving force behind The Shape is revealed and this is the reason why I rate it a 3 out of 4. I was hoping for something a bit scarier and creepier than what I got. At times I felt like the climax was a tad cheesy. Besides that, it was still a well written ghost story that I would likely pick up and read again in the future.

Through A Glass Darkly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like lmmallia's review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

Absolutely fantastic review, @Immallia
The blurb you included and the tarp thing got me. And it even creeped you out at times. 'Nuff said. Adding it to my shelves! Your work is done! Bravo!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds intriguing! Nice review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html

Post by lmmallia »

@Escapeartist
I'm glad you liked the review! You'll have to let me know what you think of it once you've read it.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html

Post by Levi »

I shall try to get to it soon and do just that. Congrats to the author on a positive review as well.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. The book looks great, although I am creeped out by the house on the cover!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Storywriter1967
Favorite Author: Donald Allen Kirch
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 17905

Post by Storywriter1967 »

Thank you all for such a wonderful review. I wish you all nothing but the best of good luck! - Donald Allen Kirch. :twisted:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”