Official Review: Energy Dependence Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Official Review: Energy Dependence Day

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Energy Dependence Day" by Christian F. Burton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Energy Dependence Day is a sprawling crime/police novel which explores life and terrorism in contemporary Saudi Arabia.

The main thrust of the plot involves young people who get involved in a terrorist network. It explores their motivations (both initially and later), the doubts and fears they experience, and the great difficulty they have in extricating themselves once they are in. In the world of the novel, joining (or even being invited to join) a terrorist organization is sort of like getting involved with the Mafia … you’ll never get out alive.

Readers will meet Professor Ratib, who is used as a recruiter by a terrorist organization, and the four young men whose lives he changes forever by recruiting them. We will meet some of the string-pullers behind the professor, including a principled Imam; the Imam’s loyal but cold-hearted enforcer; and an unscrupulous thug who keeps pressuring the Imam to raise more money for the organization. There is also Professor Ratib’s rebellious teenaged daughter Azzah, and her more pious but still spunky friend Kalila. Finally, there is Detective Al-Faruq, who is beginning to wonder why bad things keep happening to people who know the professor.

Like many crime novels, this one starts out slowly and builds until it hits critical mass. The author spends the first half of the book painstakingly laying the groundwork for the series of dramas, shocks, and tragedies that make up the second half. Once the various threads of the plot begin to intertwine, then converge, then in some cases explode, the book becomes a page-turner. The second half of the book is filled with scenes of agonizing tension, painful family crises, moments of well-written horror and even some moments of poignancy.

To get to this payoff, the reader has to work through the first half of the book, which requires careful attention in order to follow it. There are a large number of characters, almost all of them with Arabic names, which because of their unfamiliarity are harder for a non-Arabic-speaking reader to remember. Very little physical description is given of most of the characters, either when they are first introduced or later during dialogues. For example, I went through almost the entire novel imagining Professor Ratib as short and portly, only to find out near the end that he’s actually rather slight.

The book moves back and forth between a number of different subplots, alternating one per chapter. It is hard at first to determine who is the main character that we are supposed to care about. This eventually becomes clear, but it takes more than half the book, and in the meantime there are several false starts. One of the chapters is even written in the first person from one particular character’s point of view, but this does not happen again. Later, we meet this character in the third person.

There is also a subplot involving a Palestinian student living in the United States. This was one of my favorite subplots - poignant and well-written – but I did not see how it was connected to the events in Saudi Arabia, except thematically.

The other great strength of the book is the way its helps readers understand the young men who are recruited. The book does not give the reader the impression that America is actually the Great Satan, but it does help us understand people who feel that way, and it helps us understand what it’s like for those who get trapped in a situation and can’t get out. This is not a disaster/grid-goes-down-in-America novel. It is more about the impact of terrorism on those who perpetrate it. The author spent some time in Saudi Arabia and knows the scene well.

I give Energy Dependence Day three out of four stars. I would recommend it to any reader who has the time and patience to give it some careful attention. If you hang in with the story, it will turn into a great police story.

Energy Dependence Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like H0LD0Nthere's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Great review! I especially appreciated the forewarning about the first half of the book, but if it pays off later on then maybe it's worth it.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks, Tanaya! Yes, it's worth it, if you like the genre and are interested in Saudi Arabia.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Excellent review! This sounds like a rather complex and interestingly structured book. I really enjoyed reading your review.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Great review on a book which is complicated and explores difficult and sensitive themes. Good job, holdonthere.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
26mada26daddy
Currently Reading: The Taste of Champagne Urge
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 26mada26daddy »

Love the clarity of your review HoldOnthere. You subscribed a perspective from which it is incumbent upon each reader to glean what we can but your honesty about how the main plot and subsequent sub-plots influenced your experience is admirable. There is a point I want to offer for debate and that was when you referred to the names of the characters. "There are a large number of characters, almost all of them with Arabic names, which because of their unfamiliarity are harder for a non-Arabic-speaking reader to remember". This quote clearly states (1) your identity is "non-Arabic" and (2) your 'preference' for names which are non-Arabic. I'm intrigued but wondering about the psychology behind your philosophy! As areviewer, what might you need to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars?
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Great review. Love the detail!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@H0LD0Nthere, I liked reading your review! I'm not sure if this is the book for me, but I do like your honesty and fairness while reviewing Energy Dependence Day. I liked how you spoke of how the first half is work, but that the second half is action packed. Nice review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

26mada26daddy .... Thanks for your concerns. No, I am not against Arabic names at all. I have traveled and I love to learn languages. And, of course, in a novel set in Saudi Arabia, you certainly don't want a bunch of people named George and Bob. I really enjoy novels that give a sense of place, and if they come with a glossary, so much the better.

So why do I mention it at all? As a linguist, I know that people find it harder to remember names/words/concepts that are unfamiliar to them. That is not prejudice, it is just a fact about the human mind. The unfamiliarity of the names might not have been a problem if the book had had a smaller cast of characters, or if it had stayed more consistently with one main character, or even if there had been more detailed physical description of the characters. However, the perfect storm of all these factors just made it hard to keep them straight.

You ask what it would have taken for me to give the book four stars. I would need to see all of the following.
- more physical description of people and landscapes
- a bit more detailed emotional exploration of the mental worlds of at least a handful of the main characters
- either a clearer focus on the central characters at the beginning, or a much longer, Tolstoy-ish, epic-length novel that could handle having about 10 lead characters
- the revision of the one first-person chapter so that it is not written in first person
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Not my kind of book but great review! :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”