Official Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What a fantastic start to a new mystery series! "Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone is the first book in the Slacker Mills Mysteries. It follows Slacker Mills, an acclaimed fisherman, as he attempts to solve the death of his best friend, Jerry. The story is penned in the first point of view, thus exposing the protagonist's inner thoughts and endearing him to the reader.

After wandering from port to port, 37-year-old Slacker finds himself in quaint Key West, Florida, where he believes he had found his niche. Landing his first land job ever (managing a motel no less) gives him the freedom to do what he loves doing best: fishing! In fact, there is only one other thing he values more: unlimited freedom! Untied by worldly possessions, or clingy relationship, he is a happy camper. Being regarded as the best saltwater angler around and as a ladies' man and rightly so, nonetheless he is very popular in the community due to his charm and good nature. He avoids entanglements or commitments, and is considered a good catch by the vacationing ladies. When the mysterious Jerry Porter comes to town aboard his yacht, the two men become best friends and are inseparable. They fish together daily and Jerry tries to mold his friend according to his views, with a great success I might add. Slacker likes to release most of the fish he catches, but some end up as trophies on the walls of the famous Rusty Hook tavern, his favorite hangout, or as a food during the Free Fish Friday's affairs where fish are free, courtesy of Slacker, and booze abounds.

When the naked body of Jerry Porter is found on the Marina, the friendly and laid back community is shocked. The plot thickens as some curious tidbits suddenly pop up, and tongues start wagging when Slacker becomes the prime suspect in the death of his friend. Slacker suddenly finds himself in the eye of the storm and less popular. Old friends start looking askance at him and giving him the cold shoulder and it is up to him to clear up his name.

The author makes the characters jump out of the page and brings the story to life. When Slicker went fishing, I was transported to sea with him and could feel the excitement of angling. For a time, I felt like I was transported to Key West. Most of the characters are round, fun, fresh and a bit on the eccentric side, even the secondary ones. Harry Mills (aka Slacker) is an unusual protagonist, to say the least, and one I grew to care about as the story unfurled. At first he seemed self-indulgent, egocentric and well, a slicker like his misnomer, but as the story unfolded he was shown in a more positive light. I have to admit I didn't like him and his attitude towards women at first, but all that changed as he evolved along the way. In fact he is just one of those characters that you don't want to leave behind when the book ends! Jerry was another complex and round character, and as I got to know him better, through flashbacks and anecdotes, I was sorry for his death.

The story starts with a bang literally, the discovery of a body, and after a slow start it begins to pick up steam. The story was well-written and the narrative flowed at a steady pace. There were some typos, missing words and light cussing, but they were minor and didn't hamper my enjoyment of the book. The trivia regarding fishing slowed the pacing at times, but I didn’t mind the slowdown. Actually I found it difficult to pull myself away from the book.

All the loose ends were tied up very neatly, but one which left me hanging! The author explores themes of friendship, relationship, marital infidelity and its effects, forgiveness, guilt, contributing to the community, and happiness.
I didn't find the novel to be on the edge of your seat exciting, but the action was very subtle and enough to keep the reader interested through the whole story. The plot plods along with limited action, focusing instead on the characters and the setting, not a bad thing.

If it were possible, I would give this book 3.5 stars, but since I can't and it deserves more than 3 stars, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and would recommend it to those who enjoy cozy mystery, albeit a slow paced one, with a quirky main character. Visit Key West and you'll long to return again and again. I can't wait to read the next installment and find out if our angler got hooked by a lady tarpon!

Free Fish Friday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wow, great review, and great book! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. The author sounds really talented at character building, which is awesome! I tend to not like flawed characters myself, but I can see how well this book handled that conflict. I can definitely see the potential for future books with possible love interests for the hero (of a non-fish variety, I would hope!).

I fished a lot in my grandma's pond growing up... pleasant memories! 8)
gali

Post by gali »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Wow, great review, and great book! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. The author sounds really talented at character building, which is awesome! I tend to not like flawed characters myself, but I can see how well this book handled that conflict. I can definitely see the potential for future books with possible love interests for the hero (of a non-fish variety, I would hope!).

I fished a lot in my grandma's pond growing up... pleasant memories! 8)
Thank you for your kind words. :)

I like both flawed and unflawed characters. 8)

I have never fished, but still enjoyed the descriptions of it. It is great that you have those pleasant memories and it sounds fun. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You're welcome! :-)

Fishing can be fun, and maybe you'll go fishing one day!! :-)

Until then, maybe this author will write some sequels with more fishing!!
gali

Post by gali »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:You're welcome! :-)

Fishing can be fun, and maybe you'll go fishing one day!! :-)

Until then, maybe this author will write some sequels with more fishing!!
Perhaps. I especially liked the fact that the hero released the fish he caught. :)

I think the sequel is already out (according to Amazon at least).
A retired Admin/Mod

Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

An entertaining review, Gali. I could feel your interest in the book coming through, and I think that makes for the best reviews. This does sound like a fun book, I grew up fishing and I also love mystery, so this book would be up my alley with a cup o'tea! ;) I love flawed and unflawed characters alike, and you made these characters sound interesting. Great job, Gali!
(And @zeldas_lullaby definitely does not like flawed characters if her books are any indication! ;)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
gali

Post by gali »

Escapeartist wrote:An entertaining review, Gali. I could feel your interest in the book coming through, and I think that makes for the best reviews. This does sound like a fun book, I grew up fishing and I also love mystery, so this book would be up my alley with a cup o'tea! ;) I love flawed and unflawed characters alike, and you made these characters sound interesting. Great job, Gali!
(And @zeldas_lullaby definitely does not like flawed characters if her books are any indication! ;)
Thank you. It was a fun read and I enjoyed it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA HA... you're so right, Levi! :lol:

Gali, I too love a man who releases the fishies. :animals-fishblue: :animals-fishblue:
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderfully written review. It was an entertaining read and you provided great analysis. I am going to add this to my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Gali, I enjoyed reading your review! I love mysteries and this seems like a good one. Eccentric characters, Key West setting....what more could you want?! Adding this one to my long reading list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:HA HA HA... you're so right, Levi! :lol:

Gali, I too love a man who releases the fishies. :animals-fishblue: :animals-fishblue:
:text-yeahthat:

-- August 2nd, 2015, 8:30 pm --

Thank you Mel and bookowlie! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

eskimoses
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eskimoses »

Very nice review. I'm a big fan of Stone's writing and really enjoyed both books. Very quick, refreshing writing style, without a lot of wordy descriptions that put me to sleep. I'd be interested to hear what you think about the sequel Barracuda.

For anyone interested, it turns out Stone is also an accomplished sand sculptor. A video of a sand tribute he did of Cecil the lion this weekend can be found on YouTube if search Cecil the lion memorial in sand.
gali

Post by gali »

eskimoses wrote:Very nice review. I'm a big fan of Stone's writing and really enjoyed both books. Very quick, refreshing writing style, without a lot of wordy descriptions that put me to sleep. I'd be interested to hear what you think about the sequel Barracuda.

For anyone interested, it turns out Stone is also an accomplished sand sculptor. A video of a sand tribute he did of Cecil the lion this weekend can be found on YouTube if search Cecil the lion memorial in sand.
Thank you for your comments. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

There was something so clever about calling him a "good catch" among all the description of his love for fishing. And as others have said, I also enjoyed your enthusiasm!
gali

Post by gali »

Tanaya wrote:There was something so clever about calling him a "good catch" among all the description of his love for fishing. And as others have said, I also enjoyed your enthusiasm!
Thank you :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”