Official Review: The Cactus Killer by Jeremy Croston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: The Cactus Killer by Jeremy Croston

Post by Jesska6029 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cactus Killer" by Jeremy Croston.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would make a vampire and a werewolf work together? If you’re thinking a serial killer, then you’re correct. The Cactus Killer by Jeremy Croston introduces readers to the werewolves of Full Moon and the local sheriff, Victor “Vic” Inglewood, in this supernatural mystery. Vic is different from other wolves. When wolves turn thirteen, they go through their first transformations, but Vic never fully transforms. Instead, he has heightened senses, and he uses them to fulfill his duties as sheriff of Full Moon. His days as sheriff are usually quiet, but that changes when a century old vampire named Elizabeth asks for Vic’s help solving a big problem: vampires are being staked and drained of blood, and the only “calling card” left by the killer is pieces of cacti embedded in the heads of his victims. As Vic and Elizabeth work to stop any more killings from happening, the killer gets bolder, and the killings start happening closer to home. It is a race to save supernatural creatures from extinction, and Vic and Elizabeth are running out of time.

Creating new communities in works of fiction is not an easy task, but Croston manages it just fine. Full Moon is setup like a small town, and readers will be able to connect with the small town feel in the book. The information and important details about the werewolf and vampire communities are easy to understand, and they are presented in a way that will not bore the reader. It really helps that readers learn about the vampire community with Vic because it never feels like too much information is being thrown at readers at once.

The plot starts off strong, but it loses its way about a quarter of the way through and seems to stay lost until the last quarter of the book. I say this because a lot of the plot seems so unnecessary. The characters get together, and they talk about what they already know a lot. This would be okay if it happened just once, but it happens multiple times, and I grew tired of these scenes quickly. It takes Vic and Elizabeth three tries to get to one place because they are repeatedly attacked. These scenes make the book seem really, really long.

The dialogue is clear, and in most places it helps to move the story forward. In several scenes there are a lot of characters present, but it is always clear who is speaking. The one problem I have with the dialogue is that Elizabeth’s word usage seems too contemporary. She is a century old, but her word choice does not reflect her age, and she sometimes sounds like a teenager.

Vic is a great character, and he shines in this novel. He is a fully developed character, and he shows a lot of growth throughout the plot. I enjoyed being inside his head, and I felt that his decisions consistently reflect the kind of character he is. Her strange word choices aside, Elizabeth is a strong character. She is a good asset to Vic in his quest to catch a killer. The minor characters are not as stellar as the main two characters. The minor characters are not developed, and I didn’t feel connected to any of them. I do not want to spoil anything, but something awful happens to a minor character. I know I was supposed to feel something when I read about that character, but I didn’t feel anything at all. This is because I never got a chance to know the character before the devastating scene.

I give The Cactus Killer by Jeremy Croston 2 out of 4 stars. It is the first in a series, and I am hesitant to pick up the next installment. The wayward plot and underdeveloped minor characters do not allow me to give this book anything more than 2 stars. I would recommend this book to patient readers who enjoy supernatural mysteries.

The Cactus Killer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jesska6029's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Jefflemire90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jefflemire90 »

It's a shame the plot lost its way. Really enjoyed the review! Really liked the introduction of the review.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Jefflemire90 wrote:It's a shame the plot lost its way. Really enjoyed the review! Really liked the introduction of the review.
Thank you very much!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Great review, really good analysis. I'm not at all into the vampire genre, but I enjoyed your review!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

PashaRu wrote:Great review, really good analysis. I'm not at all into the vampire genre, but I enjoyed your review!
Thank you! I do like the supernatural genre every now and then, but this one just didn't do it for me.
bettybug35
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bettybug35 »

I totally agree that building worlds is so difficult. I have tried and felt that I have failed. I am glad this author builds a great new community. Your review is thorough and informative. I really enjoyed reading the review!
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bettybug35 wrote:I totally agree that building worlds is so difficult. I have tried and felt that I have failed. I am glad this author builds a great new community. Your review is thorough and informative. I really enjoyed reading the review!
Thanks for the kind words. It is so difficult to build new worlds/communities. I have never tried, but I am sure that you haven't failed at building anything. I would love to read some of your ideas!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderfully thorough review. The book sounds like it has a lot of promise and is an interesting take on Vampires Vs. Werewolves.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review! I almost picked this book but decided not to, since I wanted a break from vampires.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bluemel4 wrote:Wonderfully thorough review. The book sounds like it has a lot of promise and is an interesting take on Vampires Vs. Werewolves.
The series definitely has a lot of promise. If the next book fixes the kinks, I will consider picking it up!

-- 16 Jul 2015, 22:25 --
gali wrote:Nice review! I almost picked this book but decided not to, since I wanted a break from vampires.
Thanks! I've had a break from supernatural reads for a while, so I went for this one! Thanks again for the kind words!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! It really highlighted the strengths and flaws of the story!!
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great review! It really highlighted the strengths and flaws of the story!!
Thank you very much!
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

The concept seems interesting. Good, detailed review.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

debo9967 wrote:The concept seems interesting. Good, detailed review.
Thank you!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! It's a shame about the weak plot, though, because the concept sounds so promising!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”