Official Review: Psychic Shadows by Eric Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Psychic Shadows by Eric Smith

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Psychic Shadows" by Eric Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Psychic Shadows by Eric Smith is a book in the horror genre. The novella is described as an Irish Ghost story.

The story is set in Dublin in 2014. Laura O’Kelly has volunteered to act as a medium for the séance meeting at the Psychic Center. The séance meeting is conducted in remembrance of Matthew O’Donovan and his family, who bequeathed his home to a spiritual society to convert it into the Psychic Center, where psychic practitioners from across the world can congregate. Matthew O’Donovan’s ghost communicates with the members present at the meeting through Laura, and narrates to them how he and his family were murdered. Laura is unnerved by her experience as a median, but doesn’t make much of it. Even when she starts foreseeing mundane things which are about to happen and wins the Home lottery, she doesn’t feel anything unusual. Glad on winning the lottery, Laura, with her daughter Jamie Lee and boyfriend, Mark, immediately move into their new residence. They are greeted with the sight of a black cat that seems to be guarding the house. This is the first ominous sign of the night of horror which is about to unfold. Will the three of them make it out safely next morning?

There is nothing new or spectacular about the storyline. It recycles the cliché story of a haunted house with a few twists in the tale. The story is description heavy which is expected and it is pretty effective in heightening the senses of the reader. Much of the novella reads out like a play or a drama which again, is a good trick to excite the imagination of the reader. The writing style of the author makes the story play out like a film in the reader’s mind, thus making it more alive somehow.

The author has tried to focus a lot on the character’s psychology to make it seem that the fear is emanating from the protagonist’s perception. This wins a brownie point for the author because the author does not resort to blood or evil creatures to make the book scary. Another plus point is crisp and articulate writing style which makes use of symbolism to create certain depth in the story.

The negative part is that, despite the recycling, the story fails to come across as something fresh from the oven. Also, the plot twists aren’t unraveled smoothly and left the reader feeling confused. It was a quick read, but I was dissatisfied with the story and felt that perhaps a little more detail would have done justice to the tale. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Psychic Shadows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | Hassle-Free Sample

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
Eric Smith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eric Smith »

Thanks very much for reading my Novella and the kind review. Eric Smith
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

The story seems interesting. Nice review.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

After reading a free sample of the book, I`ve found it difficult to get a clue what the book is about. Because, apart from the setting and time and gripping writing style, there wasn`t much revealed into the book. So, the review was much helpful. I also was quite surprised that the book is actually set in the present time, not in the 19th century, as I expected (at least a part of it). I think the book is worth to be read, at least for its unusual style.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Eric Smith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eric Smith »

Short story for a film. The film will add the 1800 scenes.Page 1 is all 1890 in costume, ghosts cemetery.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I like how you highlighted the author using psychology rather than gore, as I find those kind of stories to be even more terrifying. Good job debo, and thanks to Eric Smith for participating.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

brutalb13
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by brutalb13 »

VERY PROVOCATIVE. I have to have this book, I haven"t been so interested in a book as i am this one in a very long time. Bravo Sir Bravo!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”