Official Review: Gabriel's Wing by Ron Shannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: Gabriel's Wing by Ron Shannon

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gabriel's Wing" by Ron Shannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gabriel’s Wing by Ron Shannon was not what I was expecting. This book is a mystery/thriller set in 1969. I guess this book could also be considered a crime drama. It just seems to have a little bit of everything thrown in. The style in which this book is written will keep the reader’s nose pressed to pages until the very end. It starts off with a murder and just keeps going.

Tillie will make you smile because she is not the typical “female”. She wears boxer shorts, combat boots (with dresses), and works for the FBI. That in itself is not the only thing that makes her different. Her eyes make her stand out and add to her natural beauty. She is also of mixed race, something that is not looked upon with happiness during that time period.

Stanton has worked hard to separate himself from his father’s old business. Working as a PI will bring him in close contact with someone that may be connected with that business. While on the trail of that person to find a missing boy, he notices that the FBI is trailing him.

Now you may be wondering how this all ties together. It is because of the six degrees of separation that we have all heard about. Tillie wasn’t the one following Stanton, but she is following the same suspect for a different reason. They make a connection on the train heading north and decide, kind of, to work together. Neither one fully trusts the other, but one thing they cannot deny is the attraction between them.

There is at least one person that is not happy that Stanton is back home, even if it is just for the short term. This is one of the many twists that will occur in this book. There is also a moment of “Oh My God, No Way it Was -----“. Well, make that two instances of that happening. I love a book that makes you pay close attention because if you lose focus while reading, you may miss out on an important clue.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because I just could not put it down. I had to know that everything would work out in the end. The characters are not your usual ones that you would see in a book. They are gritty, down to earth people that could be your next door neighbor. They are easy to picture as you read the story. I also love reading books that take place in the past. It gives you a look at how much more technology we have and how much faster it is in an emergency. There were a few spelling errors, but to me they did not take away from the story.

Gabriel's Wing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's a great review! I LOVE books that have a moment of "OMG, I can't believe it was____!"
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I enjoyed reading your review, dhomespot. It sounds like you really enjoyed this novel. I love books with all kinds of twists and turns.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thanks for your review, looks like this book needs to be added to the top of my reading list. I love mysteries that have a storyline that sucks you in.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I like that you can't exactly pin down the genre of the book. That says a lot. And the fact that you couldn't put it down speaks volumes about it. Very convincing review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”