W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I just love hanging out with Kinsey Millhone, and she is at the top of her game for this case. Kinsey is still living in Henry’s garage but there’s a new addition to the family, a cat named Ed. Personally, I love cats in mystery stories, so I was very excited when Ed appeared. There’s also a brief visit from a former love interest of Kinsey’s. So what’s going on with this time?

Kinsey is called to the morgue one day to identify a body. She’s never seen him before, so why did they call her? Her business card was found in the victim’s pocket. Terrence Dace, the victim, was a homeless man. Kinsey does some routine checking and finds out his identity, then she is present when his safe deposit box is opened. Inside is his will and much to Kinsey’s surprise, she is named not only as executor of Dace’s estate but also beneficiary of the half million dollars in that estate. Dace has explicitly disinherited his three children. Kinsey is going to have to break the news to them.

In parallel to Kinsey’s story is the story of Pete Wolinsky, a run-down, shady private eye who Kinsey was acquainted with but hadn’t, thankfully, had contact with for years. Pete is out for a buck, and while good intentioned, gets involved in something bigger than himself and ends up dead. There is no obvious connection between Pete’s death and Kinsey’s investigation of Terrence Dace’s death. But just keep reading.

As is usual in one of Sue Grafton’s books there are lots of twists and turns, and just when you think you have it figured out … you don’t. This book is another homerun for Grafton, perhaps the best yet. If you are a mystery lover and have not yet discovered this series, well, what are you waiting for?

Happy Reading!
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

Interesting review by sahnoun on "Sue Grafton's" latest book "Wasted".
I have read most of her novels, they are all fascinating reading and do keep you on the edge of your seat. I don't know if it is her best story.
Unfortunately I am unable to remember the name of the Sue Grafton book; "but it involved a nurse who was trying to swindle a neighbour to Henry out of all his money and home.
The villain at times appears to turned the help Kinsley is trying to do against her. There are so many twists in the storyline, as a reader you feel as though the villain is going to get away with there plot."
Enthralling read; but I do agree with the writer that "Sue Grafton" series are worth reading
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

The title of the book caught by attention. This book seems like a really intriguing read. I have not read any of Sue Grafton's books before, but after reading your review, I most definitely will check out her books. Great review!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

Congratulations to the reviewer, they have summarised thus book by Sue Grafton, very well.
I have read this particular book and if i had read the review before hand, i would have been more interested in reading it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”