Official Review: Sharks: The Original Screenplay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Official Review: Sharks: The Original Screenplay

Post by Michelle-lit »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sharks: The Original Screenplay" by Nick Duffy.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Sharks: The Original Screenplay by Nick Duffy, we witness the unraveling lives of Zach, a hopeful yet unsuccessful actor, and Chris, a director driven by avarice. These two men, lacking in monetary funds, quickly spiral into a world of lies, theft, and murder in the hopes of obtaining wealth and power.

I gave this screenplay a 1 out of 4 stars. The following discusses my inability to connect with the characters and my lack of emotional attachment to the story.

Throughout reading Sharks, I never fully understood any of the characters. They frequently appeared to be flat or inconsistent. One of the main characters, Zach, fluctuates between being completely apathetic and indifferent, to the compassionate hero, to the conniving villain. I was never able to pinpoint who Zach really was and what his goals and aspirations were. He seems to go along with whatever comes his way which makes his character flat. I felt that some form of dialogue of internal conflict concerning Zach's actions might have made him a more interesting character.

Other minor characters switched personalities dramatically and made themselves unbelievable. For example, Stanely, owner of the illegal pawn shop, switches from "threatening gangster" to a crying child begging for his life. The transition was so drastic that I did not buy it, and it was difficult to get into the story when the characters were not convincing.

There were also a number of very short scenes where I felt an opportunity to explain past events or emotions the characters felt was unfortunately missed. In some instances, I felt scenes were rushed through to reach parts that were more exciting. Other times, such as in the chase scene between Zach and Hunter, the action was over almost as soon as it had begun, leaving me wanting more.

The story line itself seemed a bit predictable, unnecessarily vulgar at times, disconnected, and rushed. I feel that if another movie is going to be made about money, drugs, and illegal activity something innovative needs to be introduced. I did not buy the "needing the loan for a movie" pitch. The movie that Zach and Chris were planning on making did not seem to tie into anything else in the story, and I felt it was placed there just so Zach and Chris had an excuse for a loan. The story needed something to make everything come full circle.

There were a couple of drafts included at the end of the script, and those actually contained some qualities that the final script lacked. The author included more adjectives and emotions in comparison; these new characters seemed like real people instead of mindless robots with physical actions but little emotion. I wish I would have seen more of this in the full script. The author's writing style was also witty and pleasingly sarcastic at some points. I wonder if this script would have down better as a dark comedy rather than a drama.

I gave this screenplay the rating that did because of its inconsistency in character, its rushed feel, and it's unoriginality in story line. What is left wanting are characters that feel real, scenes that have substance and relevance, a story line that contains something special and unique, and an ending with a solid conclusion.

Sharks: The Original Screenplay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like Michelle-lit's review? Post a comment saying so!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review!
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Interesting and well written review! I also dislike when characters flip flop personalities to benefit the plot.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
BlaqkViolette
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Glass Wall
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blaqkviolette.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by BlaqkViolette »

Brilliant review! It is always hard to enjoy the book when you can't connect with the characters.
Michelle-lit

Post by Michelle-lit »

Thank you for the positive feedback :)
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Thoughtful review. I enjoy lots of novels as well as some plays (namely ones like A Raisin in the Sun and Wit), but I've yet to ever read a screenplay. I'm sure it's something I'll eventually try.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. It sounds like the author doesn't provide a good reason to care about what happens to the protagonists.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Michelle-lit

Post by Michelle-lit »

Kappy wrote:Good review. It sounds like the author doesn't provide a good reason to care about what happens to the protagonists.
Unfortunately the author doesn't, and I can't get into a story if I can't feel any emotional connection with the characters.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”