Official Review: A Man is A Disaster by Mitchell Karbin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: A Man is A Disaster by Mitchell Karbin

Post by Jesska6029 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of A Man is a Disaster, Air Conditioning is Divine by Mitchell Karbin]

A Man is a Disaster, Air Conditioning is Divine by Mitchell Karbin is an erotic thriller. Cleva Winters engages in an affair with a man, who turns out to be an escaped mental patient. He is extremely disturbed, and he believes himself to be an omnipotent being. He is known as Purevil. After she ends the affair, he vows revenge, and he takes something very dear from her. The police cannot help, but private detective Sam Angel can. He is the only hope of recovering what the mad “being” has taken. It is a race against time, but as he discovers more and more about the case, he realizes that no one has told the absolute truth, and no one is who he or she truly claims to be.

The plot is meant to slowly reveal the answer to a mystery, but the answer to the mystery is painfully obvious from almost the start of the novel. The events and dialogue are meant to slowly push forward answers, but I knew the answers from the start. I guessed the identity of Purevil within the first couple of chapters. Honestly, I felt cheated. The big reveal at the end is not a big reveal at all. The narrative switches between multiple characters, which is usually a good idea, but in this book, it is not. It just causes the plot to slow way down. The idea of a character believing he is an omnipotent being is a fairly unique one, but the plot does not deliver, and it does not do the unique idea any justice.

The characters are all very dull and most are really unlikable. Purevil is the most intriguing of the bunch. His lines of thinking and actions are just strange and deranged enough to be interesting. However, he is set up as someone to be feared by everyone. Cleva and Purevil’s own therapist are deeply afraid of him, but he really does not do anything really frightening. He believes himself to be way more than he is, and his narcissism gets really annoying after the first few chapters. His character becomes quite boring because of all his talk and no real action. Cleva is one dimensional. She does not progress or change. She is extremely selfish, and she does not have a single quality I could connect with her on. The final character I will touch upon is Sam Angel. He is a private detective, but he is a slow one. I was and any reader will be steps ahead of him at all times. Also, his character is rude and even borders on abusive. At one point, he smacks a female character on the head, and he tells her it is for “wasting so much of my time.”

While reading this novel, I felt really frustrated. There is a major plot hole, which really bothers me. Purevil has been in Chloe’s life for years, but somehow no one recognizes him when he is with her? I am sorry, but there is no way that is even possible.

I give A Man is a Disaster, Air Conditioning is Divine 1 out of 4 stars. I cannot say I would recommend this book to anyone. The book is boring, and the characters are dull. The plot drags on far too long, and the major plot hole ruins the whole book. I cannot give it more than 1 star.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review. It's always difficult to get through a book that has holes in the plot. I find it becomes distracting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review. It's always difficult to get through a book that has holes in the plot. I find it becomes distracting.
Thanks for the kind words! The plot holes are quite distracting.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
KingOfTheAce
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingoftheace.html

Post by KingOfTheAce »

Jesska6029 wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Great, insightful review. It's always difficult to get through a book that has holes in the plot. I find it becomes distracting.
Thanks for the kind words! The plot holes are quite distracting.
Regardless if its is a book, series or anime, plot holes are very often imminent. But the bigger the hole gets, the more distacting it gets. I admire writers that manage to minimize the holes, or those who are able to cover them. It is one of the commandments of good writing for me.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

KingOfTheAce wrote:
Regardless if its is a book, series or anime, plot holes are very often imminent. But the bigger the hole gets, the more distacting it gets. I admire writers that manage to minimize the holes, or those who are able to cover them. It is one of the commandments of good writing for me.
I completely agree. It is so difficult to write a book without a single plot hole, but I cannot get over a plot hole that completely ruins the story.
Valleygirl1985
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valleygirl1985 »

Very nice review! I really like the level of detail. It's too bad the plot hole can't be overlooked. The summary of the book looked interesting.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Valleygirl1985 wrote:Very nice review! I really like the level of detail. It's too bad the plot hole can't be overlooked. The summary of the book looked interesting.
Thanks for the kind words!
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Wow, thanks for the honest review. I guess I will skip this one!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Stevefromtheblock wrote:Wow, thanks for the honest review. I guess I will skip this one!

You're welcome! I would skip this one.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Gadzooks. I enjoyed reading this review. Very well written.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Gadzooks. I enjoyed reading this review. Very well written.
Thank you so much for the kind words.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

Sounded like it was an interesting premise but not executed properly by the author. Thanks for the review though, I now know to skip it.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

gatorgirl_823 wrote:Sounded like it was an interesting premise but not executed properly by the author. Thanks for the review though, I now know to skip it.
It had a really interesting premise, but the execution was poor.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Hopefully, the next book you choose to read and review will be great!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bookowlie wrote:Hopefully, the next book you choose to read and review will be great!

I'm sure the next book will be great, and I hope the review will be as well. Thanks for the kind wishes!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”