Official Review: The Feud by Frank Heiberger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: The Feud by Frank Heiberger

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Feud" by Frank Heiberger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Feud by Frank Heiberger is a book in the crime/horror fiction genre. It follows the story of India Hills as she tries to overcome all the malevolent forces that prevent her from chronicling the family history of the Duvall-Richards family.

India Hills is a struggling writer who is ready to accept any project that would pay the bills. Her problems are temporarily solved when she is handed down a simple project of writing a vanity book tracing the family history of the Duvall-Richards family, a rich business family based in Willow Creek. However, her troubles only increase when her entry into the small town coincides with the murder of a young girl who is horrifyingly beheaded. A psychopathic murderer on loose is the least of her troubles as she finds out disturbing secrets about the Duvall-Richards family and their feud with a coven of green witches living in the same town. Things take a turn for the worse for India when she learns about a curse placed on the family she is chronicling. Now attacked by ghosts, hellhounds and other supernatural terrors, India realizes that the only way to stop all this is to uncover the truth of the feud and end it forever.

The storyline is the strongest asset of this book since it’s extremely engrossing. There are new twists at every few pages and the author’s spacing of the horror elements in the book is quite apt. The book is written in first person and India’s thoughts on the scenes playing out about her are quite entertaining at times. Apart from the horror and suspense elements, what really made this novel stand out for me was the exploration of romance by the author. I really lied the idea of love as an emotion which is not bound by sexuality or sexual preference, as expressed by the author. The internal struggles of the protagonist and the dilemmas she is facing are expressed in an engaging manner by the author. India’s character is quite relatable, the confusion she faces, her problems with accepting the twists of life and how she messed up royally in one episode in the story, makes the storyline all the more interesting.

The author has also sketched believable side characters. The author’s treatment of other themes in the book like synergy with nature, superstitions, religious differences and courage is quite good.

There are a few typographical errors in the book which were not so bothersome for me, but other readers might find it a trifle bit annoying. Also, since the book is in first person, in many instances India’s thoughts may seem like a lot of rambling. Though I enjoyed the book as it is, I thought of giving a fair idea to the readers who may not like this writing style.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 for its riveting storyline and superb characterisation.

The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

The book seems to have an interesting storyline. Nice review.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Nice review! As a fan of supernatural mysteries with female protagonists, this is something I might want to check out. The plot itself doesn't sound overly original but the character and themes sound interesting!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review. Synergy with nature is one of my favorite subjects.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”