Andrew Vachss's Haiku

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Andrew Vachss's Haiku

Post by michelewhite0068 »

Review of Andrew Vachss’s novel Haiku by Michele White
The author of one of my all-time favorite Burke series creates a new vision: a troubled marital artist slips into the underbelly of New York City’s homeless lifestyle after leaving all his worldly possessions and position as a wise man. Now, he has surrounded himself with others as damaged as he is for their own reasons. One of their group, Michael, a schizophrenic is about to lose his treasured compilation of books and each one of their group must face their own demons to band together on a mission to save Michael’s treasure.
Vachss writes about New York City’s band of brothers in arms as they watch each other’s backs as a group of homeless men with an unblinking eye. While his writing style is not overly aggressive, he message cuts through as if his word processor was a Samurai sword. Finely tuned, high voltage action combined with messages about loyalty, honor, and self-sacrifice in the face of overwhelming adversity.
What I liked best about this novel was that the only thing of value that these men had was their word to one another. In today’s world of every man for himself, Vachss reminds us that honor is a beautiful and horrific thing in that one can never, in the end, forget who they truly are as exemplified by their close friends understanding that a man is not what he does to make cash, but what he does to live and what he is willing to die for. I found this novel to be utterly compelling as a stand-alone book. It reminded me of Andrew Vachss’s That’s How I Roll which was another bull’s eye in his ever expanding repertoire.
What I would have liked to see more of after reading this novel is sequel which would follow Ho’s (the martial artist) journey back towards more of his own version of a mainstream life. The novel ended in such a way, that a sequel might easily follow. On the other hand, the ending was perfect with just the right amount of duality touched upon—new beginnings and some endings. In all, I thought Vachss achieved the perfect balance in this novel and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you find this novel intriguing, I would recommend reading Andrew’s Burke series which begins with the novel Flood.
I have not found another author who covers the topics that Vachss does with as much realism and heart. He conveys the feeling and grit of living in New York City (where I resided in my youth) and how family of choice can be better and stronger than family by blood. I have not read anything that this man has written, thus far, that has been a disappointment. He never ceases to amaze. Happy reading! :text-feedback:
A book is a gift you can open again and again--anonymous
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

Found this review at the perfect time, just picked up Haiku at my local library earlier today. Vachss's name struck a chord when I saw it on the shelf, wasn't sure why, so I went ahead and checked out the book. Now I realize I read several of his Burke novels a few years ago. After reading your review I'm glad I picked up Haiku. Thanks for the grea review!
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”