The Prodigal Son By: Dean Koontz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Captivate193
Bookshelf Size: 28

The Prodigal Son By: Dean Koontz

Post by Captivate193 »

The Monster Returns
Dean Koontz has found a way to capture the mind of many adults in his intriguing Frankenstein Series. In the first book you find yourself hooked automatically by the main character who is none other than the Frankenstein monster in modern day. It has been hundreds of years since that fateful storm that brought Deucalion to life. His struggle to maintain humanity is an ongoing battle. His strive for peace is interrupted when he gets news that the man he fears and loathes the most is still impossibly alive. Victor Frankenstein is alive and his work has never stopped. His goal of creating a superior race is well underway and his skills have grown since his first success. Deucalion travels to New Orleans with the hope of stopping this mad scientist. The city is flooding with Victors creations but there is confusion in quite a few of them. They are strong, smart, sophisticated but they are missing one key element that they are striving for but cannot achieve because of their program. Happiness. This town is full of those who strive to find and understand numerous achievements human and monsters. There are numerous killers in this book. Each one with its own personality and ending goal. Happiness, Perfection and Control. Dean Koontz’s talent for writing from numerous characters points of view shines bright in this novel. The fear that we are surrounded by a different species comes to life and will make you question if every myth you have ever heard is real.
MillenniumFayte
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millenniumfayte.html

Post by MillenniumFayte »

This is such a great series!
kamikazie78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kamikazie78 »

I really enjoy dean koontz style of writing so I'll have to check this one out
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

Review of Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein: Book One Prodigal Son by Michele White

This novel is a riveting new creation based on Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. Koontz takes the readers on a singularly creative thrill ride. Victor Frankenstein, now as Victor Helios has taken up residence in New Orleans. Frankenstein’s monster, A.K.A. Deucalion receives word that his maker is still alive after two hundred years. Deucalion embarks on a journey to seek out Victor and finds that although his techniques have been refined, Victor’s on a mission that might just be the beginning of the end of the human race. Deucalion enlists the help of two of New Orleans’ homicide detectives to try to stop Victor’s mad master plans for the demise of human life and his goal of being god to a new race of beings. Will the trio be able to stop Victor? Only time will tell. This first book of Frankenstein by Koontz sets up the overarching plot for the series.

This novel contains the grotesque and the humorous. The banter between the two detectives is delightful and filled with humor and affection. The monstrous creations by Victor are described with an eye towards detail. The story is ever-changing; as subplots are brought together as Dean Koontz weaves his tale bringing together the trails of various aspects of the story into the master plot.
As with most books that are in a series, loose ends are left dangling as an enticement to read the next book in the series. This technique in this series worked on this reader as I immediately bought the rest of the series to read. An outstanding plot, stylistic dialogue, and the horror of one of Victor’s creations mesmerizes the reader. The short chapters lead one to say to himself “just one more chapter and I’ll stop for the night,” then you realize it is 3:00 in the morning and you are still turning the pages.

I was a little disappointed that one thread of the story began close to the end of the novel and that this particular thread of the novel was not going to be finalized in this first book. Although, such a literary device gives one the desire to rush out and buy the next book in the series. One of Koontz’s brilliantly realized efforts in bringing to life the story of Frankenstein and his monsters.

I would rate this book as a 5 out of 5 stars and am hooked on the series; I am now reading the second book in the series Frankenstein: Book Two City of Night. Impressive horror genre achievement with elements of police detective procedures (whether they are followed or not) and Deucalion’s monstrous genetic predisposition leave one wondering if he has the wherewithal to endure.

-- 07 Feb 2015, 13:00 --

Review of Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein: Book Two City of Night

Now that Victor Frankenstein’s (also known as Victor Helios) creations are beginning break away from their programing and some are even physically metamorphosing into uncontrollable mutants, this saga continues as Frankenstein’s monster (also known as Deucalion) attempts to help two detectives live long enough to destroy Helios. With a plethora of colorful characters and with exceptionally snappy dialogue, Koontz creates a second novel in his series that is as captivating as the first book in the series.

The ever-changing point of view as several threads of the story are compartmentalized becomes satisfying when they are woven together. The egotism of Victor and his propensity for sadism make him one of Koontz’s premiere bad guys. In my mind, he is up there with the evil Junior from Dean Koontz’s From the Corner of His Eye. Several crises point occur throughout the novel and like the first one in the series there are several pieces of the story that seem to be left for the third installment of this series. While perhaps my favorite character is Michael, partner to Carson, as he is a humorous companion and filled with the love of life. There are several characters I am fond of in this book and even the malicious fallen New Race of Victor’s making become pathetic and one feels sorry for some of them. They never asked to be what they were made into and some of them even seem to have a conscience unlike their maker.

I also enjoyed the action which made this novel a very fast read. I was reluctant to put it up for the night as I was very engrossed in the story. The aspect of the novel that I did not like as much was that unless you read the first novel, it is very likely that you will miss out on the story in this one as the first novel is not rehashed in any way, but instead it is picked up where it left off. This may be an issue for some readers, but the second novel is the same as the first in the following regard: unless you read books one and two, I doubt the third one will make as much sense as it should to readers who have taken the time to read them.

For the above reason regarding the necessity of having to read this series as one story in several installments, I give this book a four out of five stars. It is a riveting read and I highly recommend the first two books in this series as I have just started the third in the series. Happy reading. :)
A book is a gift you can open again and again--anonymous
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

Another wonderful series from Dean Koontz! He makes you fall in love with his characters!☺
Sk1imB0rd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sk1imB0rd »

It has been many months since reading the writings of Dean Koontz. The Frankenstein series is my all-time favorite. His format of writing is one that keeps me intrigued and I can not put his books down.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”