Official Review: Apple by RA Black

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Apple by RA Black

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Apple" by RA Black.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On its surface, Apple is a classic horror story, complete with a spooky old house, ghostly encounters, and a mad scientist. But looking past these trappings, the true story of this novel is the unbreakable bond between two siblings in the face of dire circumstances.

Philipa, better known by her nickname, Apple, is the teenage daughter of a farmer. She shares a very close relationship with her older brother, Skye, and cannot bear the idea of a life without him. That being said, Apple's world is turned upside down when she and Skye overhear her parents talking about the recent poor harvest and the prospect of making Skye leave home to ease the financial burden on the family. While Skye is determined to do what is best for the ones he loves, his chances of finding work are slim, as he is recovering from a serious infection and is still very weak. Shortly thereafter, Skye makes a hasty decision to leave home, and Apple tags along. Skye allows his sister to to accompany him in the hope that she'll change her mind, but Apple remains steadfast and ventures farther from home with her brother.

Their journey takes a sudden, deadly turn when they unwittingly wander into the den of a pair of murderers, and Skye is badly wounded as they make their escape. He loses consciousness on the road, and as Apple fears the worst, a carriage approaches, driven by a man who introduces himself as Dr. Cavington. Although he is a physician, the doctor is not a charitable man, and only agrees to treat Skye if Apple will be his servant. Apple acquiesces, and the pair is taken to Cavington Hall, the doctor's ancient estate, where new perils--from adversaries both living and dead--await them.

Overall, Apple is an enjoyable read. I would classify this book as a novella, because it is not long, but it doesn't come up short on quality. The plot moves at a swift pace with plenty of twists and turns that kept me fully engaged and anxious to know what would happen next. Apple and Skye are likable characters that generate sympathy and concern, and the mysterious Dr. Cavington will keep the reader guessing about his true motives.

The writing is solid, with minimal errors, most of which appeared to be accidentally omitted words. These errors did not significantly disrupt my reading, however, and can be easily fixed.

My only criticism of Apple is the fact that I could not pin down a tangible setting for the story. I got the impression that it takes place either before the automobile was invented, or at least before automobiles became commonplace. A date, or perhaps a reference to a historical event, would have been helpful to determine this. Additionally, I wasn't sure about where the story took place, either. Do Apple and her family live in a real-world country, or is it a fictional location? I would have liked to know.

I give Apple 3 out of 4 stars because I really enjoyed the characters and the overall story. Again, not being able to pin down a setting bothered me, but I know that not every reader would be concerned with this. I believe that this book has broad appeal, but I would especially recommend it to lovers of classic horror.

Apple
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”