Official Review: The Wretched Walls by Brian Kaufman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: The Wretched Walls by Brian Kaufman

Post by Airam Velarde »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wretched Walls" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe in ghosts? This question is often asked yet only a few answer truthfully. The Wretched Walls by Brian Kaufman, tells of a man’s struggle to answer this question. Is what he is seeing real? Or are the effects of strenuous work clouding his mind? The terror that then ensues hints at a dark, hidden past and the very real obsession that then develops.

Garrett has just become the proud owner of an old Victorian mansion. His dream is to renovate this house, a dream which led him to quit his career as a college professor. Although he always had problems with committing, either with his jobs or his relationships, his mother is still willing to help him with his new endeavor. However, balancing the remodeling of the mansion, the demands of his mother, and his relationship with his new girlfriend, will prove to be a weight he cannot handle easily. The only solution is to give himself completely to his work. After starting the renovation, he soon uncovers a secret hidden within the walls of the mansion. A secret that reveals the dark past of this house and the mysterious woman who once called it home. A woman who in death, will demand more of Garrett than anyone else before.

The Wretched Walls is a novel that can easily fill you with dread. The strange occurrences that happen in Garrett’s house may be enough to give you chills, but what will keep you at the edge of your seat is the novel’s use of psychological horror. The connection between the haunting of the mansion and Garrett’s own internal battles becomes apparent throughout the reading. He becomes dangerously obsessed with the house and the woman who once occupied it. This leads to a series of events that would drive anyone mad. It is safe to question whether this was a real ghost, or one of his own creation and fueled by his obsession. Whatever the answer, the effects are still chilling.

One thing I greatly enjoyed is the way suspense is gradually built as the story progresses. Each detail given adds to the anticipation and the intrigue. I found that even though it is a short novel (78 pages) we still get a full view of the characters and their lives. Not to mention the development of the mystery surrounding the house is enough to pull you into the story to walk the same hallways as the characters. But be warned, you never know what you might see if you dare to look behind you.

Overall, this book is definitely one that made my skin crawl. The author is very skilled at keeping his readers in suspense. Throughout the book it is easy to feel curious yet afraid of what might happen next. I really recommend The Wretched Walls for anyone interested in a fast and chilling read. For these reasons I give The Wretched Walls 4 out of 4 stars.

The Wretched Walls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Airam Velarde's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Shase2015
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shase2015.html

Post by Shase2015 »

Sounds deliciously creepy! Also reminded me a little of The Woman in Black.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The cover of this book is so creepy!!! :shock:
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

ALynnPowers wrote:The cover of this book is so creepy!!! :shock:
The cover is very creepy! This is probably one of the reasons why I chose to read the book. :mrgreen:
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
L Brox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-brox.html

Post by L Brox »

I do love a good horror and I really like the sound of this. I will defnitely be adding it to my 'to read list'.
Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Sounds like an interesting twist on the old haunted house idea. I'm just wondering how he could afford to quit his job to renovate a house full time! Excellent review BTW!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Airam Velarde wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote:The cover of this book is so creepy!!! :shock:
The cover is very creepy! This is probably one of the reasons why I chose to read the book. :mrgreen:
It would have attracted me as well. I guess I am going to have to start looking at the covers before I select my books. Hahaha. ;)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”